• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Resources for a visiting birder (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hi all,
I am going to be in NM at the end of April, start of May 2013. I am curious about resources to find out what is around, and also about a good site guide for the state (I am aware that there is a couple of sites mentioned in the Rio Grande Valley guide). Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
Niels

Thank you Jim. Does anyone have any idea about the quality of these? I will probably need the one for the entire state, just wondering if the more recent one is also necessary.

Niels

Niels,
You might want to keep an eye on the AZ/NM bird list found here.
Are you going to be anywhere near Albuqurerque? If so you might want to try and get up to Sandia Peak to see the Rosy Finches. I understand Sandia is about as far south as they get.

Thanks Lisa,
the conference is about one hour from Albuquerque by what I have read, so Rosy Finches might be a good target for me.

I remember using that mailing list some years ago when visiting Arizona, but forgot it also covered NM.

thanks
Niels

eBird will supply you with recent sightings, seasonal distribution, and the most recent records of birds you'd really like to see. As stated, the AZ/NM listserve will have some reports, but AZ reports generally outnumber NM reports 10 to 1.

For myself, eBird gives the most up-to-date information of what's to be seen when birding a new area in the ABA region. I'm a huge fan of the printed page, but things are outdated from the moment they're published these days, it seems.

Thank you Steve. I will have the location guides coming, and probably look at Ebird when I get closer in time.

Niels

So I have received the two location guides, and one thing I found out was the Lesser Prairie Chicken leks near Roswell. I have contacted BLM and gotten some helpful info, so I am exited about the possibility of seeing those.

Unfortunately, it seems it will be too late in the year before I get there for Rosy Finches.

Niels

I thought it might be close for the finches but wasn't sure. However, the Lesser Praire Chicken at their leks would be awesome.

Neils, Although I am no longer based in NM I can probably be of some help especially with the tricky species.

E-bird as Steve gross pointed out is your best source for finding out where the birds are - I use it for finding uncommon or rare species. - Most of the 'top' local birders use it.

http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?src=...ar=2010&eYear=2013&continue.x=47&continue.y=6

There are a lot of good spots around NM

Territories for a number of species have remained reliable for a number of years eg: Dusky Grouse near Santa Fe etc

The Lesser Prairie Chicken Leks around caprock (near Roswell) can be excellent - there is a picture in my gallery of a bird displaying here.

BTW Bosque del Apache can be good this time of year - if you are the first person around the gravel circuit in the morning you have a 50/50 of seeing bobcat (Buy your permit later if needed).There is also a high density of Mountain Lion, but I haven't seen one here.

I would also book a weekend at cave creek ranch (near portal AZ) which is one of my favorite birding spots in the US -lots of good species-. It's a quicker drive than it looks from ABQ.

You are welcome to PM me for locations of tricky species etc

Thanks Mike,
I might do that later. I have booked a day for the prairie chickens, so looking forward to those.

I will most likely not do Portal this time. I visited that location a few years ago as part of an Arizona trip, so I will concentrate on NM this time. If crossing any borders, it might be into Colorado.

Niels

A little update: I had some very nice Lesser Prairie Chickens at the usual spots east of Roswell, and driving to the spot early morning had some common poorwill. This morning with really cold cloudy weather there was an indigo bunting in Cahoon park in Roswell.

Niels

Thank you Steve,
I will look into that later.

I got two of my target species today, Grey Vireo and Black-chinned Sparrow in Slaughter Canyon.

Niels

Question to those with local knowledge: I tentatively identified an Empid today at the top of the Sandia mts as a Dusky Fly. Any other Empids that would be likely that high up at this early date (May 1)? (I am aware the Cordilleran would be there if the date was 2-4 weeks later (and that one could be excluded based on looks anyway).

thanks
Niels

Neils, Hello,
Grey Vireo is a very good find. I found it a very localized bird in NM. Regarding empids it's difficult but you can get the stats from e-bird. I hate to tell you but empids are dead easy from their calls - so that's how I tend to ID the tricky ones. NM only has maybe about a couple of dozen 'serious' birders (that I know of) and of those chaps only a few use bird forum. You are probably best posting on the AZ - NM listserve now ABA site. BTW if you get desperate, feel free to pick my brain for tricky species.

Last edited:
Thank you Mike.
I have ended the birding part of my trip, right now it is work, so I will not ask for further info -- but thanks a lot for what you sent me earlier.

I have received info from other sources that there was a certain Dusky in ABQ that same day, so my tentative id is at least possible.

A quick count showed that I have seen about 170 birds in the almost 2 weeks I was birding in New Mexico and the Portal (AZ) area.

Niels

Neils,
sounds like a good number of species - I am probably going to do that 'run' Albuquerque - Bosque del Apache and Portal etc in a few months - I think you went at the best time though - just maybe a bit late for the Rosy finches? I hope you post your trip list.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back