• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Right to roam (Scotland) (1 Viewer)

Marcus Conway - ebirder

As I understand under the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 it is permitted to access all areas of the countryside under certain conditions such as not interefere with farming or stalking etc.

here is a bit from Wiki

"In Scotland, where there is a more general right of access, Scottish Natural Heritage developed The Scottish Outdoor Access Code:
- Take responsibility for your own actions
- Respect people’s privacy and peace of mind
- Help farmers, landowners and others to work safely and effectively
- Care for the environment
- Keep your dog under proper control
- Take extra care if you are organising a group, an event or running a business
The Scottish Outdoor Access Code was approved in draft form by the Scottish Parliament in July 2003 following the passing of the Land Reform (Scotland) Act of the same year, and was accepted in February 2005.
For both The Countryside Code and The Scottish Outdoor Access Code there is corresponding advice for land managers. The constituent points of each code are described in more detail in full publications."

I have not had any issue with being on peoples land, and in most cases I get permission, even though it is not needed.

Some of the species I photograph I use a hide in woodland/moorland to minimise disturbance, and I wondered how that would fall into the mix.

Would be interested to hear some views. :t:

I would probably treat the erecting of a hide in the same vein as wild camping - just without the added mess.

Basically, go for it. Like wild camping, you don't need a specific consent... just stick to the basic principles you've mentioned above, along with the main wild camping rule... leave no trace. If cooking use a stove, not a fire. Don't cut down or damage trees, etc, etc.

It's all common sense stuff, really. To be honest, more often than not, if people are putting up a hide, make sure they do so responsibly.

Also, depending on the species you're trying to photograph, you might want to take a look at the Nature Conservation (Scotland) Act, too. In particular, the areas regarding disturbance to schedule 1 species and the like.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back