• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

navai (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Just a guess on Hylorchilus navai with no clear evidence. Of course dedication is as in key:

● Juan Nava Solario (fl. 1971) Mexican naturalist, collector (Hylorchilus, subsp. Myiarchus yucatanensis).

Maybe it is him Juan Nava Solorio (1923-2004)

Dates may fit. 48 years might be good age to collect and he was from Mexico.

At the moment no opinion on life dates of Moises Nava also mentioned in the key.

Take it for what's worth.

I had the same idea/opinion, regarding his full name, in the old thread (from way back in 2014); ... and 22 plausible etymologies! (here, post #1, No.7), based on how his name was written [in his own Paper (of 1994, here); Hábitos reproductivos de la Zacua Mayor (Psarocolius montezuma) en Bacalar, Quintana Roo, México]: JUAN NAVA SOLORIO ... with his (work) address added (in Foot-note): Campo Experimental Forestal "San Felipe Bacalar", Apdo. Postal 182, 77000 Chetumal, Quintana Roo, México.

To me it looks like he's mostly mentioned, in several papers (and there's quite a few of them), as "Juan Nava", or as "Juan Nava S.", like, for example; here (on p.6). I assume the S. (Solario/Solorio) is his Mothers name added (in the local tradition). Maybe the Authors of the OD (Crossin & Ely) simply didn't know his true full name, or just got it wrong.

However, I have no idea regarding the year (and date) of his birth, nor of his (possible) death.

Good luck finding him!

Björn

PS. Note that Beolens et al (2014) has him as: "... Solorio" (here), versus "Juan Nava-Solorio" (here, on p.445, left column). And that David Brewer in his book Wrens, Dippers and Thrashers (Helm, 2010, here) mentioned him as (simply); "Sr. Juan Nava S.". For some reason ;)
--

Last edited:
Juan Nava's Yucatan Flycatcher ssp.

Just to be on the safe side ... and it's (unquestionably) the same guy in ...

Myiarchus yucatanensis navai PARKES 1982 (here):

... Quintana Roo, México, collected by Santos Farfán and prepared by Juan Nava S. for Kenneth C. Parkes, on 1 February 1965 ...

[...]

Etymology . — It is a pleasure to dedicate this new subspecies to Sr. Juan Nava Solorio, now of Bacalar, Quintana Roo, Mexico, who accompanied me during most of my Mexican field work, and whose indefatigable persistence on Isla Cozumel provided the holotype of Myiarchus yucatanensis lanyoni.
Once again evidence of the fundamental/basic Rule; always, always start with the OD (or ODs) ... ;)

/B

PS. Oups! Double-posting, six minutes apart, though same content ... sure looks like it's him all right.
---

Last edited:
navai & ponsi

The other Nava to find in:

Aveledo Hostos, Ramón y Adolfo R. Pons. 1952. Aves nuevas y extensiones de distribución a Venezuela. Novedades Contribuciones Ocasionales del Museo de Historia Natural La Salle , serie Zoológica, No. 7: 3-24 + una lAmina.

Excerpt here

Moisés Nava taxidermista de la Collectión Pons de Maracaibo

If The Eponym Dictionary of Birds is correct Moisés C. Nava death 1954. From where they got this information I have no clue.

Leads me as well to ponsi in the key. According here

Adolfo Pons Romero nació en Maracaibo el 19 de mayo de 1914 y murió en la misma ciudad el 13 de septiembre de 1982.

Last edited:
Señor Pons

Leads me as well to ponsi in the key. According here

Clearly (judging by the photo) the same guy here (all in Spanish, which leaves me "out of the game") ...

If his true name ought to be written Adolfo Pons Romero, or Adolfo R. Pons [as in Adolfo Romero Pons] is unknown to me.

It's apparently "Adolfo R. Pons" in the OD?

Either way, I would say/assume that his name ought to be written Adolfo Pons Romero, Romero being (in the local tradition) his Mothers name ... apparently he was the oldest son/child of Jaime Pons [Jaime Pons Ojeda] and Adelina Romero.

/B

PS. But ... supported by Google translate I cannot help noticing that there's not a single word of Birds, nor about Field work, in those two texts about the "distinguido Profesor" Pons.

Are we sure that he truly is "our guy"?
--

Last edited:
In Memoria - Sociedad de Ciencias Naturales La Salle (here), clearly in a Natural History context, we find a "Adolfo PONS Profesor de la Universidad del Zulia" ...

If of any help?

/B

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back