• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gold? or Fire. (1 Viewer)

charlierocky

Hi all, Like a lot of people I have fallen foul to this horrible flu bug that has and still is knocking me sideways. Obviously, being male and suffering a massive attack of 'mardyness' my illness is far worse than anyone else :eek!:
However yesterday, suffering from scoping withdrawls which was only making me worse I decided to have a quick flit around a little place nearby called 'Croxall pools' near Tamworth. As I walked along between the pool and the railway embankment I became aware of some bird activity in the scrub. I set up my scope and had a look around and was soon pleased to find what I think were bullfinch. It was not easy keeping track as the birds were moving around and the trees and undergrowth were thick but I became very pleased I persevered because as I focused in on some movement I saw a Fire Crest. I was not sure at the time it was a Fire Crest and not a Gold Crest, but when I returned home I looked in my book and due to the eye stripe which I clearly saw I am pretty certain that I'd seen the rarer Fire Crest. A first for me and made the cold trip out well worth the effort.

Nice one Charlie! :t:

And I hope you feel better soon
Nasty thing that Mardyness
the only known cure is a large whisky! :king:

Cheers
Tony

Nice find Charlie, there is a Firecrest not far from me at Handchurch Woods. Like you I've never seen one so I hope to try for it in the next few days. I hope you feel better soon.
Jim

Good for the firecrest, bad for the bug. A lot of friends and family have been hit by the bug but I've managed to dodge it so far. Get well soon to anyone who cops for it, I've seen how bad it is.
I've only had one attempt at a firecrest and got absolutely nowhere, well done there. It pays to check out everything that moves, even if it's only a leaf.
Chris.

Hi Charlie & Chris.

Well done Charlie, they are a belting addition to life or year lists. Well worth rising from your 'mardy bed' for I should think. LOL!!.

Chris. There are still 2 Firecrests showing well at Old Moor. I saw them with not much of a wait a few weeks ago. They've been there some time now, so if you want the opportunity to see them, get your skates on and get over there. There's no such thing as a nailed-on-cert, but lots and lots of birders have seen them.

All the best to you both.
Baz.

Hi Baz, it was Old Moor where I had a go. I have to say though that I've not really liked it down there. Maybe in time (or in the summer perhaps) I'll go back. There is just something about the place I can't put my finger on. The last time was a toss up between there and Potteric and I should have gone for the latter.
Chris.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back