• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help identifying bird from unusual song (1 Viewer)

ducey67

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help me identify a birdsong I have heard early in the morning for the last 2 mornings.

I have spent hours trawling various british birdsong sites listening to birdsongs to try to identify it.

The closest I have come is a hoopoe but rather than the quick who who who the first who is much longer. So it's like a whooooooooo followed by two short who who's. It's a low breathy noise not unlike panpipes.

I haven't been able to spot the bird at all so afraid I can give no more clues.
Definitely not wood pigeon, doves, cuckoo nor any of the owls.

I live in a village and next to my house is farmland, the nearest wood is too far away to hear the calls but it's fairly rural.

I even downloaded a birdsong identifier app costing £2.99 and went through every birdsong but couldn't find it so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help me identify a birdsong I have heard early in the morning for the last 2 mornings.

I have spent hours trawling various british birdsong sites listening to birdsongs to try to identify it.

The closest I have come is a hoopoe but rather than the quick who who who the first who is much longer. So it's like a whooooooooo followed by two short who who's. It's a low breathy noise not unlike panpipes.

I haven't been able to spot the bird at all so afraid I can give no more clues.
Definitely not wood pigeon, doves, cuckoo nor any of the owls.

I live in a village and next to my house is farmland, the nearest wood is too far away to hear the calls but it's fairly rural.

I even downloaded a birdsong identifier app costing £2.99 and went through every birdsong but couldn't find it so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Do you have a recording of it by any chance?

Shane

I'm afraid not. I can try again tomorrow. But if you put your mouth over the top of a bottle and say whooooo who who, that would be how it sounded. (That sounds like a wind up, but I promise it isn't).

Yep tried both of those ... there is no whirr in the sound, it's a clear and hollow call, no warble at all. It hasn't called the last 2 mornings but I'll keep listening out and try to record it.

May be a long shot, but it could even be an actual Hoopoe.

I'm assuming here that you have good reason to discount the aforementioned species.

It goes without saying that a recording would help enormously.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back