• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x42 HG Vs Elites.... (1 Viewer)

blackburnian

Owl Nut
Hi just recvd my new Nikon 8x42 HG and am pleased.

I also had a pair of 8x42 Elites from B&L that I was also pleased with.

Apart from the obvious between both (FOV ect), has anyone noticed a difference in brightness between the Elites and Nikons. I purchased my Nikons Via mail and just went by reputation.

Not that disapointed but when comparing them with the Elites I ask myself this.....

Why do the Elites (which are supposed to be a step down from the Nikons) seem brigther?

The reds are brighter ect....

Although the field of view of the Nikons are quite superior, I am slightly disapointed.

I know I need more time in the field with the new bins but my first impressions where somewhat disapointing....

Any thoughts, comments from you fellow birders?

Marc

Marc

I think you're suffering from over expectation. I've never used the Elites but they were considered a very fine bin (See a review on www.betterviewdesired.com ). I think that we believe some of the hype (some of it on BF) that the latest "super bin" is the greatest thing since sliced bread when to be honest they are just marginally better etc.

Oh and NEVER buy something you haven't tried!!

pduxon said:
Marc

I think you're suffering from over expectation. I've never used the Elites but they were considered a very fine bin (See a review on www.betterviewdesired.com ). I think that we believe some of the hype (some of it on BF) that the latest "super bin" is the greatest thing since sliced bread when to be honest they are just marginally better etc.

Oh and NEVER buy something you haven't tried!!

My birding gear was stolen so I decided (yes...w/o trying them out) to go for the Nikons...

Like I said, my testing period isn't over yet....If I have to I'll "swap" em or something. But they are good bins.

Tks.

Marc

I, too, own both the Bausch & Lomb Elite 8 x 42 and the Nikon 8 x 42 HG. While all of this is somewhat subjective, I find the Nikons to be noticeably brighter, and noticeable sharper than the Elites. The Elites, however, are really fine glasses, with a wonderfully flat field, superb edges and excellent handling. They are also much lighter than the Nikons (my justification for passing them along to my wife), with a very highly geared focussing mechanism that I actually prefer. My Elite is the waterproof and phase coated version, roughly 8 years old, with rubber fold back eyecups. The Nikon eyecups are, for me, a real improvement, although the current Elites do have pop-up eyecups. In addition, the Eagle Optics tethered 42mm objective covers fit the Elites perfectly, while I am still searching for a comparable solution for the HGs. I think the Elite remains a competitive high-end binocular, with performance and build quality far better than the mid-priced bins (e.g., Pentax, Minox etc) at a price that is very favorable, especially if you can find a used example.

Hope that's helpful.

Last edited:
I pretty much agree with Chartwell. I haven't done a side by side, but would be rather surprised if the B&Ls were brighter. I loved the focus speed of the B&L , although the knob could of been a bit bigger. They were brighter than my Leica 8x32s, but noticeably less sharp. The price on them is not bad either. I owned a pair very briefly, I ummmm...dropped them accidently. About 3 ft. They were knocked way out of alignment, and one of the eyecups busted. They don't have a no-fault warranty, but the dealer took care of me. I didn't replace them with another B&L.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back