• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (1 Viewer)

I will look up the dates Christina but it was many years ago, about 2007. I will ask Michael if he has a note of his bird.
I also had a Long-tailed tit spending the whole winter in the garden of our apartment in Porto Petro. 2006 I believe but I didn't think it was unusual then. Now I know differently!
Thanks for all your hard work promoting birding in Mallorca, we are all learning more about our beautiful Island every day. Mike

Hi Mike and many thanks!
There are some sightings of Long-tailed Tit in the last 10 or 15 years but I think always in the North-west side.

I think the best is all birders sharing information in this kind of forums ;)

The Singala is up towards the Ila D'Or Hotel, just off the Pine Walk. I found the ones at this end were much more mobile and easier to see. Was just hoping they were still there. Will check when I am there in couple of weeks and report back if no one else does beforehand.

Ooh yes,
some people told me there was one there some years ago, not by the moment, but keep trying!

Not sure how unusual it is, but I had a male Ferruginous Duck at Depuradora de S'illot today. It was in the 2nd pond to the north from the viewing deck.

Hello Jacob!
this one is not common in Mallorca :t:,just a few of them in winter and migration seasons, but for example in Menorca they have some Ferruginous during almost all year.
Cristina.

A big thank you to the La Gola girls��, Mike "the knowledge" Montier��, and all whom I met on my travels. Without fail, fellow birders were always willing to exchange info re current bird locations. I will post some photos once home.
Brian

Thank you, it was nice to meet you at la Gola.
Cristina and Lupe.

It was good to meet Christina at La Gola on our last day, especially to learn that I had not been mistaken in believing I had seen Eleanora's Falcon, Christina telling me the first ones had come back in the week.

I just wish I'd been able to identify the bird calling outside my cottage most nights near Pollensa. It was more rapid and harsh than the recording I have of Scops Owl, but I'm at a loss as to what else it could be.

Thank you Rob.
Some times Scops Owls seems to have sore throat:-O, but I don't know which bird could be.

Hi Joe52
Not a mink but a Pine Marten. Lucky to see one, especially in broad daylight. I clearly spend too much time in the Lab when I stay in s'Albufera. If you don't mind me asking, where exactly did you see it?
Very nice!
Martin

Hi!
Last week some people saw one trying to catch a duckling in Camí des Polls, s'Albufera.
It's very nice to see a non squashed one. Now they are very active due to the breeding season.
Cheers.
Cristina.

over the last 2 days , my kids allowed me to take 1 walk north of Cala Mesquida and 1 walk south of Cala M. , ( so mostly pine forest , dunes and the rocky shore ) which allowed me to find an abundance of finches especially linnets and crossbills ( they can go very unnoticed when feeding , was lucky to watch very closely a fully grown young one harassing his dad for food ) , also plenty of blue rock trushes at close range on the coast , tawny pipit , a pair of peregrines ( probably nest right there ) , booted eagle , 2 very distant kites ( probably red ones ) , hoopoes , stone curlews at night , and Bonelli's warbler ( I couldn't see it , would be curious if anything else can sound like it ? ) also checked most swallows heading north following the coast , they were all barn s. , no rr s. unfortunately.....saturday I go to Cabrera
regards,
Fabrice

Thanks Mike, & thanks for the ID Martin, I was misinformed, it was seen by the boardwalk leading to the info centre.
Joe.
Hi Joe
That seems to be a favourite place to see one - apart from by me. One day I'll catch up with a live one.
Martin

Just as I arrive back in the UK, so the rarities arrive with a Coal Tit in Alcudia and I believe a Lesser Spotted Eagle through the Boquer Vally. Mike

thanx Mike , looks like Cabrera is changed to tomorrow as the boat might not operate on saturday due to the weather forecast...I'm sure you can get a Coal Tit overload while in England ! regards , Fabrice

Hi

we are coming out to PP for a week on 23rd April and I wondered if anyone could answer a couple of questions.

Do the buses and Taxis still go from the same place by the harbour roundabout.

what is the best time of day and weather/wind direction to view raptors at Albercutx tower and can you get a taxi to there or only as far as the mirador.

cheers Nick

Hi Thorin
I am not good with busses but someone else will hopefully help you.
With regard to the tower it is very difficult to predict. There are days which we expect to be good which aren't and some unfavorable conditions where we see top birds. Raptors will be coming from Africa and as you know, many pass through the Straits of Gibraltar. Winds from the west or east are good, southerlies ok but northerlies don't seem to help at all. Winds on an island such as Mallorca are a strange phenomenon, often swirling around with the updraft from the hot land so I find myself going to the tower anyway and hoping for the best. One of the locals goes very often and keeps a note of the weather patterns so I will ask him when I get back.
Taxis will certainly go to the Mirador but may resist going to the top. The approach road is not too bad, it just gets tricky at the top so they should be able to drop you off within walking distance, otherwise is a huge trek up.
Weekends are best as all the locals go and some speak English so they can help with other bird news and any questions you may have. I hope you have a great time. Mike

Hi

we are coming out to PP for a week on 23rd April and I wondered if anyone could answer a couple of questions.

Do the buses and Taxis still go from the same place by the harbour roundabout.

what is the best time of day and weather/wind direction to view raptors at Albercutx tower and can you get a taxi to there or only as far as the mirador.

cheers Nick

Hello Nick,

There is a bus that goes from PP up to Formentor Beach and stops at the Mirador d'es Colomer which I believe is at the bottom of the path up to Albercutx tower. The link is http://www.tib.org/portal/en/web/ctm/autobus/linia/353. They're are a few a day but the first bus leaves PP at 9:45, which may not be early enough for you. I hope this helps.

Rach

Hi just a quick round up of the past week. Albufra Sat. 50+ Night herons took to the air over the main canal'. I wondered what had disturbed until I saw 2 middle aged German idiots paddling along on surfboards. I managed to spot the pendululine tit near where Malkoa reported it. Avocets there appear to be on eggs. Lots of yellow wagtails and purple herons. At son real lots of wood hat shrikes and Redstarts. Around Betlem monastery wrynecks, red kite, booted eagle, pied flycatchers, redstarts, cirl buntings and turtle dove. Cami des pols produced 3 squacco herons, wood and green sands and moustached warbler. Albufereta quiet but saw great white egret, purple heron, and corn bunting. Lots of other good birds seen but nothing unusual yet!

lovely time today in Cabrera with Pere Tomas and Bill , osprey , booted eagles , peregrines , 2 eleonora's falcons , finally good views on both m. and f. balearic warblers , also whitethroat ,bonelli's , sardinian , blackcap and icterine w. , both spotted and pied flycatchers , the place was literally covered with blackstarts...also scopoli's and balearic shearwater , plus wryneck during my drive out and turtle dove for my drive back to finish the day. regards , Fabrice

As noted in an earlier post, the buses in Port de Pollenca have been temporarily relocated to Carrer Roger de Flor (behind the catholic church) for as long as it takes to complete the seafront works- which may be a long time. They will eventually go back to the original location by the harbour when everything is finished. HTH- Hugh Matthews

I've just come back from a very pleasant 5 day stay in Alcudia, my first visit to the island and i'm sure it won't be the last. Birding highlights were:

Boquer Valley, 12th April: Lesser Spotted Eagle, 1 adult flying North-east close to the top of the ridge on the Western side of the valley, i've attached a few distant photos. A female Goshawk flew past it in the opposite direction! Several Balearic and Moltoni's Warblers close to the path shortly beyond the last wall with the old stone pillar gateway. 2 Western Bonelli's Warblers in the trees below the finca

S'Albuferata, 12th April: Slender billed Gull on the Sa Barcassa lake, 2 Collared Pratincole on the sand/weed at the river mouth a few hundred metres South-east from the Pollentia Club Resort, viewed from the road

La Talaia D'Alcudia, 14th April: The hike up to this 445m peak was rewarded with an Alpine Accentor feeding on picnic scraps, and excellent views from above of Alpine, Common and Pallid Swift. Plenty of Crossbills in the pine tress lower down

Albufera 11th, 13th, 15th April: 7 Whiskered Tern, 3 Marbled Duck and a flyover Red-throated Pipit from Es Cibollar 1 Hide. Moustached Warbler seen well from the Northern track, just beyond the turning to Es Colombars Hide. 2 Little Bittern and 1 Squacco Heron on the edge of the Gran Canal.

I'll upload more photos to my blog in the next few days

Attachments

• ap1.jpg
    ap1.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 185
  • ap2.jpg
    ap2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 175
  • ap3.jpg
    ap3.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 163
  • bw.jpg
    bw.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 161
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back