• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Legend Ultra HD: $300 Chinese ED from Bushnell (1 Viewer)

Alan,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. My oldest's baseball tournament has been keeping me away from the computer this week. ;)

In my opinion the image quality would definitely be comparative to the Viper. The field of view is noticeably wider but with more distortion. The distorion area of the image does suffer from color fringing but the sweet spot does not. I think it would prove to be an interesting comparison considering the Legend Ultra is about half the price.

I am also going to compare it to the Cascade porro as was suggested in a PM I received. I will post more shortly.

The distorion area of the image does suffer from color fringing but the sweet spot does not. I think it would prove to be an interesting comparison considering the Legend Ultra is about half the price.

Interesting.

I wonder if this is a case of using ED glass in the objective to control longitudinal CA (and help the marketing) but not following up with a LaK (lanthanum crown) EP design to reduce the transverse CA. Perhaps to save money? I think the former is the route the "normal" Chinese EDs (and the Top Bins) take.

CA especially at the edge of field was a problem I had with the Bushnell Excursion 8x36 though it had a bit of both.

Going by size and shape this bin really looks more like a Bushnell Excursion EX with ED glass than a Bushnell Legend which were a bit longer (that would help CA too. But I guess the Legend brand is more "valuable".

I guess you pays yer money and ya makes yer choice.

Kevin,

It has been a long time since I handled one of the Excursion 8x42s but I would be willing to bet that you are right. The field of view is the same and the level and severity of edge distortion seems to be very similar going by my distant memory. The difference though is most certainly the brightness, sharpness and lack of color fringing in the sweet spot. In the sweet spot of the Ultra there is very little to complain about...if anything. Speaking of which....

After alot of time with them today in side by sides with the Nikon SEs, Cascade porros, Meoptas, Atlas Intrepids and Zen Ray EDs I noticed something I did not before. These bins have a color bias. It is not as pronounced as the Meopta or the Zen Ray ZRS but it is there and it is of the same nature...a warm...reddish/yellow that makes those colors on viewed objects really "jump out". I first noticed it in comparison to the Cascade porro. When I put the Legends side by side with the Intrepids it stood out even more. I would not call it a "dealbreaker" by any measure and, truth be told, I really did not notice it until after direct comparison with more color neutral bins.

Again, after repeated use, the only issue I can really find fault with these bins is the amount of distortion/field curvature in the outer portion of the image. Handling, fit and finish and optical quality in the sweet spot are all very good.

The 8x42 Viper has definitely been one of my favorites, and I would probably lean toward that if given these two. But my Viper did need a repair, its one eye cup had a problem. So nothing is perfect, and this price range will have some mechanical problems. If you get a pair with no problems for 2 years, hang on to it.

The 8x32 Viper still interests me.

I enjoyed the Viper as well. I think these are another step forward though. CA is very well controlled in the sweet spot lending to a very natural image. Truth be told I am quite satisfied with the image quality overall. I have been using them fairly heavily over the last three or four days and have not found a situation where they did not do well in. The size/weight/handling of the binocular coupled with the overall image quality makes using it very easy.

From my limited perspective I consider these to be a natural step forward in the former $300 roof prism market. With the introduction of all the open bridge EDs though and their moderately superior optical performance I think the Legend Ultras would do better selling between $225-$250. That would make the difference in optical performance between the two styles more justifiable.

I think Kevin is right about the Excursion too. Makes me think the Legend Ultra might be a Diamondback with ED lens. The Bushnell 7x36 EX and the new Diamondback 7x36 sure seem to be the same thing in different housings.

Entirely a possibility Steve. I have to continue to say though that the entire package that these binoculars offer is very attractive. Physically they are the size and shape of the Leica Ultravid but at only 22 ounces (Nikon Monarch level in this regard). The optical quality is a noticeable step up (centerfield performance in mind but also considering the significantly wider field of view) so a comparison to something like the Pentax SP series might be in order. The difference here though is that this binocular displays less CA in the center of the field than the SP, Monarch or original Legend.

After using them repeatedly I am a bit surprised to say that I could use these day in-day out as my regular use model. I did not think I was going to say that but I really cannot find fault with the design.

Gauze,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I just saw this now as I was about to provide an update on my experiences.

I purchased these from Opticsplanet though I am sure some of the others will have them in stock at this point.

As for the further experiences....I spent a great deal of time today with the Ultra HDs, the Meopta Meostars, the Leupold Cascade porros and a pair of Zeiss FL 7x42s in hand. I have to readily admit that the benefit of ED glass in even an inexpensive roof such as the Legend Ultra became readily apparent to me today. I have a pair of Indigo Buntings (black in color but appear bright blue in sunlight because of the lack of pigment) that visit my feeders regularly. They look spectacular in any of my binoculars but in the FL/HD models and in my ED scopes they appear so much more vibrant and the subtle shades of color really seem more apparent. With both the Zeiss FL and the Bushnell Ultra I could see those slight shades of blue very easily. The Cascade porro was close but not quite as high performing for this one optical characteristic. The Meopta, though beautiful for its flat field of view and wide sweet spot did not show any of the color graduations that either of the ED bins showed.

Going back and forth between the Ultra and the FL on a variety of objects also brought otu the obvious differences...brighter image in the FL, more neutral color representation across the entire image, less edge distortion, etc... but the similarity between the two images in the "sweetspot" is quite undeniable in my opinion.

The Legend Ultras are definitely a big step up from the garden variety $300 roofs.

Interesting, Frank. I was scanning for Lazuli Buntings this morning (similar blue on the back, but with a chestnut breast and whitish belly) with my ZRS HD, so no ED glass but maybe high-density glass (or does it stand for "high definition"? Unclear from the website), and the blue was popping out at me from the gamble oak. I'd start scanning in the direction of the male bird's call, and as soon as my scanning passed over one, the blue was really evident. I felt like I couldn't not find them, out to about 150m.

dv,

My understanding of the ZRS is that they use a unique combination of conventional glass in the eyepiece to cut down on color fringing. The effect is comparable to that of the ED glass objective models.

Also keep in mind that I have found some color biases to make certain colors "pop" alot more in the image. My "warm color bias" binoculars (yellow, orange, red) really allow red/maroon/orange objects to jump out and seem much more vivid.

Not that I need another 8x pair...I am now using Legend 8x32 regular for the summer....but these seem like an attractive pair. Is the focusing rate of the Legend more to the liking of birders than that of the other Chinese ED that was reported a bit slow?

I use my ProMaster Ed 10x in winter, so the birds are quite far away. I do not need to do that much focusing, so fast or slow is no big deal for my 10x use. But at the small end, I like 8x32 and fast focus.

I did not really notice a difference in overall fit and finish/build quality between the two bins you are referencing. Each of them appeared equally well put together especially for bins in this price range.

I am quite curious, how does the durability of these new binos compare with the newfangled Chinese ED binos making the rounds?

Well the durability is probably about the same seeing as how the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD is a newfangled Chinese binocular too. ;)

Touché, Steve :)

Thank you, FrankD. I am drawn to these binos in lieu of their smaller size and lighter weight in comparison to the Zen-Ray ED2-type binoculars, but Bushnell ED's robustness has been rarely mentioned. So I much appreciate your impressions.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back