• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Sunbathing" Birds (1 Viewer)

helenol

Always find them so amusing to watch. Noticed this g/tit this morning...initially I thought it was in trouble, sort of half hanging off the fence!

There have been more and more birds taking advantage of the sun this past couple of days, although not all "letting it all hang out" as much as this bird!

Attachments

• titbathing.jpg
    titbathing.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 353
Had an immature Dunnock doing much the same on the decking shortly after a brief rain shower this morning. It was actually lying on its stomach legs thrust out and adopted a similar posture to yours H.

Stewart

:bounce:

Great picture Helen, I had a Dunnock and a Blackbird lazing on my front lawn yesterday morning, the Dunnock was all fluffed up (I thought it was a blackbird fledgling at first!) they were sunbathing so close together on the lawn!! |8)|

hehehe, I remember the first time I saw a sunbathing bird- I was only little (around 7 or less). The bird was a starling and I thought it had been hurt, I was relieved to see it was only sunbathing. I wonder why they do it? I've heard it's something to do with parasites, like it helps get them to the surface of the feathers to be picked off, but I'm not sure where I heard/read that.

A dunnock on our garden once was sunbathing in such a peculiar position, with its wing sticking right up in the air like a little sail!!

helenol said:
Always find them so amusing to watch. Noticed this g/tit this morning...initially I thought it was in trouble, sort of half hanging off the fence!

There have been more and more birds taking advantage of the sun this past couple of days, although not all "letting it all hang out" as much as this bird!
HI Helen not quite as cool as yours but still soaking it up sorry about the quality taken through a dirty window we are decorating at the moment.

Regards Snapper.

Attachments

• Blackbird (F) .JPG
    Blackbird (F) .JPG
    360.9 KB · Views: 198
Sun, oh for a sun, Lithuania hasn't seen much of the sun this spring, both birds and I have had little to soak up, but thought it interesting to repost the following (posted last September) to add another entertaining element of garden observations

"Them birds are beginning to take things a bit too cushy ...I'm quite used to seeing my flock of Tree Sparrows dust bathing in a sand patch out front or making a right royal splash in the bird bath out back, but now they seem to be expecting a bit of luxury too.

Some mornings back, I looked out into the garden and decided to turn on the fountain in one of the ponds ...not long after, what did I see? Fluttering in the top of the fountain, almost 'sitting' on the water jet, were the sparrows! Taking it in turns, they'd flit out from the apple tree nearby, ride the top of the fountain, then fly back up to the tree to preen and dry off!"

Here's one I made earlier ;)

This was taken last year, now this guy was really letting it all hang out!

Attachments

• chillingout.jpg
    chillingout.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 325
helenol said:
Here's one I made earlier ;)

This was taken last year, now this guy was really letting it all hang out!
That's one of them tin models these sad people stick on there house walls like them giant butterflies.

Regards Snapper.

Great thread Helen :t:

The strangest sunbathing bird I have seen is the Hoopoe. I've seen this a few times now, but never in a position where I can get a decent photo as they are such wary birds.

Picture though an exotic looking Hoopoe with black and white striped tail and wings and pink head with long down curved beak and prominent three spiked crest.

Now imagine it with wings spread out horizontally on the ground and head bent back so far it can see it's tail!

It may help with discerning the photo below ;)

Attachments

• filtered_DSCN5812a.JPG
    filtered_DSCN5812a.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 204
LOL, nice one Ian.

Here's one of the juvenile blackbirds taking advantage of the weather today. Quite nice to see as they nested in the bush just behind where he's lying.

Attachments

• juvbbirdbathing.jpg
    juvbbirdbathing.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 252
helenol said:
LOL, nice one Ian.

Here's one of the juvenile blackbirds taking advantage of the weather today. Quite nice to see as they nested in the bush just behind where he's lying.
Another cracking shot Helen, love the new avatar.

Regards Snapper.

here are another couple of shots for the collection. both are of juveniles, 1 a dunnock the other a starling. the youngsters dont seem as stressed out as the adults (sounds familiar) and both soaked up the sun on the birdtable. why go somewhere else when everything is so convenient.

Attachments

• sundunnock.jpg
    sundunnock.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 165
  • sunstarling.jpg
    sunstarling.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 159
I was at RSPB Sandwell Valley today hoping the Ring necked Parakeets would turn up. Whilst waiting on the fruitless search the sun came out briefly and in those few moments this Crow landed and spread himself out. The rain soon put paid to his sunbathing though but I just had time to fire off one shot.

I have actually just put this photo in the gallery before I saw your thread.

Attachments

• Crow 9529.jpg
    Crow 9529.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 180
Nice one Reader!

Here's another great tit, not sure if it's the same one that was sunbathing on the feeder the other day!

Also, notice it is in almost the same spot as the one from last year, in post nr. 9.

Attachments

• sunbathingtitground.jpg
    sunbathingtitground.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 174
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back