• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robin carrying dead mouse (1 Viewer)

So I was out birding in my backyard today, and I observed a behavior I've never seen before.

For reference, I live pretty deep in the woods. American Robins have nested within the vicinity of our house for as long as I can remember; this year, we had a nest in our apple tree. The young have since left the nest and are in the process of fledging right now. Today, I saw both the mother and father, as well as one of the fledglings.

Anyway, I first observed the three of them at 12:45pm, then just the female when I returned twenty minutes later. This time, the female was carrying a small, dead mouse. The mouse appeared to be young and freshly killed, though it was not moving. She then continued to try to swallow the mouse several times, getting at most half of it in her mouth, before dropping it (seemingly accidentally?) and returning to her normal routine.

I've never seen a robin carry, let alone try to eat, a mouse or any other small animal. Has anyone else observed this? And, why might a robin want to eat a mouse when there are plenty of other more desirable options for them?

I never thought of a Robin being carnivorous but I guess it's just something I've never witnessed. Must have been some sight for you.

I never thought of a Robin being carnivorous but I guess it's just something I've never witnessed. Must have been some sight for you.

Their European equivalent, the Common Blackbird, prey on frogs, newts, lizards and, I am sure, small rodents would be taken too.

David

American robins are famously carnivorous. They are superbly skilled at catching earthworms. A mouse would be a challenge to catch or to swallow, but I'm not surprised.

Cool observation! I’ve found that it’s not uncommon for species to surprise with opportunistic deviations from their typical food items. For example, a few years ago I saw an American coot scavenging on the floating carcass of a large fish (this was the first and only time that I have seen a coot scavenging a carcass, though they are known to take various insect and animal prey besides their main diet of plant matter).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back