• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hong Kong January 2008 (1 Viewer)

pstraughan

I was in Hong Kong City for a few days in late January en route to New Zealand. Some of the birding highlights were -

Black Kites soaring between the Skyscrapers, sometimes as many as 4 at a time.

In the small green spaces in the City there are Oriental Magpie Robins, Spotted Doves, Tree Sparrows (which have ousted the House Sparrows), Common Mynas, Light-vented and Red-whiskered Bulbuls.

We accidentally found Hong Kong Park, right in the middle of the City. In addition to Cockatoos flying free I was lucky enough to see a Black crowned Night Heron. However, a big feature of the park is the aviary. Most birders probably disapprove of aviaries. This was the best I have ever seen. It is in fact a full-scale re-creation of a rainforest with full size trees. The birds have a huge amount of space. Species include Rainbow Lorikeet, Green Imperial Pigeon, Bali Catbird, Great Hornbill. The aviary is free. There isn't even a place to put donations and no fact-sheets for sale. It is beautifully presented and immaculate.

Given the amount of water around Hong Kong, I was surprised not to see Gulls. Possibly there are no decent nest sites.

Pat

Hi Pat,
Pleased you had time to enjoy Hong Kong, it is a great place for birding, Tree Sparrow's are just about all you tend to find in Hong Kong and China, I haven't seen a House Sparrow there in nearly five years of birding there! The best time to see the Black Eared Kites is at dusk from The Peak (looking down over the harbour) have counted 30-40 birds at a time.

You do get gulls at Mai Po, but agree very few if any around the harbour

Cheers
Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back