• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old Trinovids, warts and all, still the most comfortable binocs I've ever used. (1 Viewer)

elkcub said:
Hi Fledgling,

There are many wonderful binoculars you can get at modest cost today. My impression is that you would do well to start with a smaller one such as an 8x30 or 7x35. Well established brands like Nikon, Bushnell, Zeiss, and others are a good place to start, and will provide excellent service. Bushnell makes a marvelous small birding binocular called the Custom Compact 7x26. There is usually a new one selling on eBay for around $200-250 USD.

I wouldn't worry too much about picking the "best" binocular since there really isn't one.

Elkcub
thankyou so much for your reply, your help im sure will prove to invaluble. fledgling

tlb said:
Hi, Steve.

I'm assuming the roof prisms in your 7x35s are not phase coated. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Tony

Tony,
That is true. The Uppendhal (sp?) prism used in these is a strange beast, with one roof element and the rest more like a poroprism. Because of the roof element one would expect a softer image, but I sure don't see it, nor apparently do other users.
Steve

Adey Baker said:
Hi, 88maverick, welcome to Birdforum!

Several of my friends had the similar 10x40 model (one still does) and your comments apply equally to that model. They may not be as bright as the latest versions but they were certainly brighter than the similar Zeiss Dialyt of their time.

By co-incidence a friend of mine gave me a pair of Trinovid 10x40, that had belonged to her late uncle earlier today, case and all and they appear to be in excellent condition. Does anyone know anything about the spec or when they stopped making them? First impressions are that for clarity they are just as good as a modern pair, although they don't have any adjustment for spec. wearers and short focus just doesn't exist. Anyway I can't wait to use them and really must try to give them the loge they have obviously had in the past!

The original style Trinovid stopped production in 1989/90. You say yours has no provision for spectacle wearers. Do you mean it has no fold back rubber eyecups? The version with hard eyecups is an early one - probably 1960s. If you have the serial number I can give you a date of manufacture. By the way, replacement rubber eyecups are still available for this model from Leica at about £10 + VAT each.

Gary Hawkins said:
The original style Trinovid stopped production in 1989/90. You say yours has no provision for spectacle wearers. Do you mean it has no fold back rubber eyecups? The version with hard eyecups is an early one - probably 1960s. If you have the serial number I can give you a date of manufacture. By the way, replacement rubber eyecups are still available for this model from Leica at about £10 + VAT each.

As you suggest they have hard eyecups. The serial number is 641365.
I was using them this evening and was staggered by the quality of vision - it appeared to be lighter through the binos than with the naked eye! If they are 30 - 40 years old then they really were cared for well.

chris w said:
As you suggest they have hard eyecups. The serial number is 641365.
I was using them this evening and was staggered by the quality of vision - it appeared to be lighter through the binos than with the naked eye! If they are 30 - 40 years old then they really were cared for well.

Chris, your binocular was manufactured in 1964.

LEICA TRINOVID 10X50 BN Binoculars sold

I have a new pair of Leica 10X50 trinovid binoculars for sale and would like to see them find a good home .

The binoculars on auction in this ad are new, not demos.

Item History: These binoculars were supplied to me by Leica in replacement of my previous pair
under my warranty this April 2005, just a few weeks ago.

To see photos of these binoculars go to:
see the ebay ad

I have been birdwatching for over 40 years and can tell you that these are fantastic binoculars
for birdwatching and will no doubt make their fortunate next owner very happy.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back