• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new leica monocular (1 Viewer)

Other than the light weight and compact size when is something like this useful. I keep a pair of the excellent Zeiss 8x20 compact binos in my briefcase and they are used quite often. Is this to be used as a small spotting scope?

There are those of us who have lost an eye, or have an uncorrectable vision problem that causes us to use only one eye when using binoculars. For us, monoculars are logical. Why pay for two sets of lenses when only one set is used? If this is the very best monocular made, to me, it would be worth the price. If not, I will buy another monocular.

There are many times when I wished that I did not have to choose between lugging my tripod along for my spotting scope, or carrying around binoculars that are compact, but still larger than monoculars like these (and knowing that half of the optics are wasted on me). Being new to birding, I was unaware of this choice, but now that I know that there are quality monoculars in existence, I need only choose which to buy. Any suggestions?

I have 2 good eyes but the problem I have with using a monocular is holding it steady. The best way I've found to hold it (I am right handed) is to hold it in my right hand, forefinger pressed against my forehead, and look through it with my left eye, focusing it with my left hand. This works well with my 6 x 18 T* Mono Zeiss, which is a small drawtube, and it only needs minute adjustments at normal viewing distances because at 6 power it has a deep depth of field. An 8 power would have a smaller depth of field and require more adjusting.

I also have an inexpensive Orion 10 x 42, which is pretty good for $40.00, but it is quite hard to hold steady. It does have a tripod adapter built in though.

In any case, I suggest you get one with as wide a field of view as possible.
Bob

Last edited:
Kwalther123,
Single sighted people are very much discriminated against, I think, by the choice of most optics manufacturers to offer single telescopes only in compact versions. It was not always so. Back in the '60s and '70s, half individual focus binoculars were often available, in all the sizes in which regular binoculars came. You might find one of these, and if fully coated and of good quality, I imagine the view would be as good as, easier to acquire, and brighter in low light by far than the Leica, its undoubted high quality aside.

But given these things' increasing rarity, Mooreorless's "modest proposal" to chop a Fujinon FMT-SX 7x50 in half really makes a lot of sense to me, if it breaks my heart too. The view quality and comfort are hardly to be beat by anything, I promise, and you can get them for only $300 used. Of course it would take some doing, and if you aren't handy you'd probably want to get a machinist to do a nice job of it and maybe install a couple of eyelets for a strap. But then your single good eye would be treated like a king, as it deserves, not a second class citizen.
Ron

Last edited:
Ron,

Thanks for the ideas. I will think long and hard about this, particularly in light of the fact that my good viewing eye would be treated to a wonderful Fujinon 7x50 view. But I have to admit, this type of project seems daunting, if it is to be done right.

Another factor, in addition to the ability to soon have a viewing device in my hand (without the headaches of a major project) that might cause my good eye to go the monocular route is the fact that, unlike even the smallest compact binoculars, this Leica monoclular, and its Zeiss brethren, can be carried in a shirt pocket, ready for action during those times when, defying all predictability, one has the opportunity for an amazing view during the most mundane circumstances. For example, when walking out of a supermarket parking lot, a rare sight presents itself, be it a rare bird that has lost its way (fairly common here in Hawaii) or some other sight one would not expect under such circumstances. IF usable (and that is a big "IF"), I would see so very, very much more if I were to be able to take a viewing instrument with me at all times.

I have considered taking a pair of Zeiss Victory 8x20s with me every where, but getting them out of their case and up to my eyes would take longer than the viewing object would be likely to stick around. Of course the very best thing to do would be to hang a pair of compact binos around my neck always. However, I am already such a dork that I think that walking around this way with binos always around my neck would be just a bit too much for my few friends to take and I would end up with no friends at all.

So, although their are many problems with a solution like this Leica monocular, and I am leaning away from it, I still have not eliminated it altogether. This continued, but skeptical, interest is based mainly on my particular circumstances of having only one eye from which to view, and my attraction to a device that could be carried everywhere from walking to the office, to going out to dinner, to hiking, to virtually anything I do. But the big "IF" is, is it possible for one, with enough practice, to learn to hold this device in a manner that deems it steady enough to be of use?

Least you think I would depend on this device only, I have purchased a Zeiss 85Fl spotting scope and a Tele Vue 85 (with an extension tube that allows for an eight foot close focus), for those times when I go to an area with plenty of birds and just set up for the afternoon.

K,
I get it, and the convenience of the small scope is very tempting. I imagine with practice you'd get very good with it. Quite a few people swear by their quality compacts for all good light birding. I have owned a Leica bino, and it was excellent.

If you ever decide to go the chopped IF bino route, here is a good optical man who I feel confident would be interested in the job. http://www.suddarthoptical.com/

I know dorkdom. Almost all my friends are, in fact, binoculars, and they don't like it much if I hang out with people.
Ron

Single sighted people are very much discriminated against, I think, by the choice of most optics manufacturers to offer single telescopes only in compact versions. It was not always so. Back in the '60s and '70s, half individual focus binoculars were often available, in all the sizes in which regular binoculars came. You might find one of these, and if fully coated and of good quality, I imagine the view would be as good as, easier to acquire, and brighter in low light by far than the Leica, its undoubted high quality aside.

In the 90's Zeiss sold a full-size mono, basically one half of the Zeiss 8x56 BGAT. It apparently didn't sell too well, so they discontinued it fairly quickly. I remember seeing one at a discount price in town, however, at the time I couldn't convince myself to buy it. It was gone within a couple of weeks or so.

Hermann

Like Kevin, I own the Nikon 5x15 HG (actually, 2 of them). I must say, I love this thing. It is very small, but has incredible feel (the luxurious titanium body is beautifully designed)...

The description here says polycarbonate body so i'm wondering.....

***edit**

Nikon's own web-page only specifies "metal body" so i'm wondering which is it - Poly, Ti, or some sort of metal?

Last edited:
Adorama describes it with Ti: http://www.adorama.com/NK515M.html

Why Nikon doesn't mention it is a mystery, like so many things Nikon.
Eagle Optics also describes a roll-down eyecup for it, which doesn't exist.

I suggest you drop a line to Nikon and Eagle. In my experience, Nikon USA probably won't have a clue as to what the construction of the HG 5x15 and 7x15 monoculars are. I'd be surprised if they know what you're talking about.

The Ti and aluminum part are yet to be confirmed, I suppose, but I assure you it is fabricated of metal, not plastic.

Like some other manufacturers of other products, I think Adorama is using the word, "titanium" - just in the title, to describe the color scheme.

Well I now think the HG monoculars are probably stainless steel. The confusion, I think, comes from the DCF compact binoculars that come in the same 5x15 and 7x15 sizes as the monoculars.
http://www.nikon.com.sg/pagearticle.php?pageid=81

I put a magnet on mine it is not magnetic. Based on it's color (same the counter: http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=214671&d=1251268976) I'd guess stainless steel, but it could be hard anodized aluminum, for the two shell halves. Whatever it is it's tough as mine doesn't have a scratch and it's even been dropped. The rest of it seems to be anodized alum or mag, as I'd already mentioned.

From a practical point of view, what the shell consists of (Ti, stainless, or alum) means little or nothing. There isn't enough of it there to much matter from a weight point of view and as I've said, it's tough.

Last edited:
Pretty clear to me as the web site states: Elegant metal body and leather case \

When I see "metal body" especially in a two halves assembly I tend to think it's cast aluminum. Perhaps it's machined aluminum with HAIII anodizing. If I was the manufacturer I would list stainless steel as a feature if that is what was used.

Anyway, it's still an interesting product that, someday, I will be interested in purchasing.

Last edited:
Last winter I bought the Opticron 6x16 monocular. First I was not too impressed but when I had learned to keep it steady, I used it more and more (It really takes some time of practising). Perfect to keep it in your jacket, around your neck or even in the front pocket of a shirt.

Two weeks ago I decided to upgrade to the Zeiss 6x18 or the Leica 8x20, thinking these would be even better. I went to the leading bino store in Stockholm, Sweden (Gofoto) and tried them side by side, and guess what - I kept the Opticron.

I read signposts on the other side of the road and could not see more detail with the Zeiss or the Leica (perhaps a tiny tiny bit more, but I was not really sure about this), despite that the Opticron costs only a fraction of the others. The Germans were a little brighter but the Opticron has a substantially wider field of view, which I really appreciate (Opticron 6x16, 163 m FOV, Zeiss 6x18, 117 m FOV, Leica 8x20, 110 m FOV). The Opticron is in my opinon also easer to keep steady since you dont have to change the grip while focusing, at least compared with the Zeiss. The Opticron 6x16 is also much smaller. I'm gonna keep it forever :)

I also compared it with the Opticron 8x20, and the latter is twice as big and the increased magnification makes it harder to keep steady.

Wolf

Last edited:
Another good option is the Brunton 6X30 monocular. It is more than twice as large as most 20 or 25 millimeter monoculars, but that's because it's rubber coating allows it to be held like a camcorder. With a 5mm exit pupil and low power, it's easy to hold steadily. Also, the optics are just a notch below the Nikon Titaniums - false color is almost non-existent. I keep mine in the glove compartment of my car for those times when I need to see something fast before it disappears. In my mind this is the best inexpensive monocular you can buy, as long as you don't mind the relatively large size and poor close focus (12 feet). Brunton makes an even larger 7X40 monocular that focuses down to 1.5 feet. I haven't had a chance to look through one yet, but if it's anything like the 6X30's, I may get one for insect watching.

Tried one in a local shop, indoors only.

As claimed by the others, focus can be tricky or even difficult if you have big hands.

The view is crystal clear, just like the 10x25BR.

I am particularly interested in the close-up capability when the extra lens is attached: when attached, focusing is not really done by turning the focusing ring but rather moving yourself toward or away from the target.

To me, I would buy it if there is no need to screw an extra lens for close-up, hence no need to worry about losing it.

The case seems nice but again, I don't really I will bring the case for field work, as it is a bit too bulky for a tiny mono.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back