• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Hoverfly Thread (1 Viewer)

1) Volucella pellucens yes
2) Eristalis sp.
3) Tachina fera (I know I don't think it is a hoverfly!) yes
4) Eristalis sp.
5) Syritta pipiens

Hello,

I am really struggling with this one seen at Dawlish Warren on Sunday. My Chinery book is not helping me here so looks like I shall have to get a bigger boat (book).

Help anyone please?

Apologies for the unsharp pictures as I was using a new compact camera in poor light. It is the surprisingly cheap Canon A480 which I love for the 1cm macro function.

Thanks,
Andrew.

Sphaerophoria sp females not identifiable

Thanks a lot for your reply, Aeshna! They look so different! But I had a feeling they all might be the same thing.

Here is the second encounter with a hoverfly of my holiday in England. It was in the same garden than the previous ones. I guess it is a Syrphus of some kind. I don't know if those pictures show clearly the ID features. They all show the same specimen. I have pics of other specimens and even a female. But all the others weren't as cooperative as this one. I will post more if that can help to ID.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Syrphus sp.

1) Volucella pellucens yes
2) Eristalis sp.
3) Tachina fera (I know I don't think it is a hoverfly!) yes
4) Eristalis sp.
5) Syritta pipiens

Thank you for the confirmations and ID Ficedula. It seems that the Eristalis genus it tricky to ID to species level.

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few

Syrphus sp.

Thanks a lot for the confirmation, Ficedula!

A few more for confirmation, while I prepare pictures of the ones that are more difficult for me. Hope I got these right (if I don't, I'd better give up hoverflies :-O):

1. Volucella pelluscens
2. Helophilus pendulus
3. Myathropa florea

Attachments

• Volucella pellucens BF.jpg
    Volucella pellucens BF.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Helophilus pendulus BF.jpg
    Helophilus pendulus BF.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Myathropa florea BF.jpg
    Myathropa florea BF.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 62
It seems that the Eristalis genus it tricky to ID to species level.

Hey, robhope! Tricky indeed, I have seen many Eristalis sp. during the summer, both in Spain and England and I don't have a single species in my lifelist. Simply I am not 100% sure of any of them. Hope one day I will learn to ID them and take better pictures where the best features can be seen. But I am totally aware that several species are nearly impossible to ID from a picture.

I fear the moment I start sorting out the pictures of Eristalis taking in England during the holiday :eek!:

A few more for confirmation, while I prepare pictures of the ones that are more difficult for me. Hope I got these right (if I don't, I'd better give up hoverflies :-O):

1. Volucella pelluscens
2. Helophilus pendulus
3. Myathropa florea

All look good to me!

1. Volucella pelluscens
2. Helophilus pendulus
3. Myathropa florea

all correct

Hey, robhope! Tricky indeed, I have seen many Eristalis sp. during the summer, both in Spain and England and I don't have a single species in my lifelist. Simply I am not 100% sure of any of them. Hope one day I will learn to ID them and take better pictures where the best features can be seen. But I am totally aware that several species are nearly impossible to ID from a picture.

I fear the moment I start sorting out the pictures of Eristalis taking in England during the holiday :eek!:

If you know them then it is quite easy to identify them if you catch them and examine with hand lens. However, getting to know them really means collecting and keying them under a microscope.

Only E. pertinax and tenax can reliably be named from photographs, if those photos are good enough.

If you know them then it is quite easy to identify them if you catch them and examine with hand lens. However, getting to know them really means collecting and keying them under a microscope.

Only E. pertinax and tenax can reliably be named from photographs, if those photos are good enough.

Thanks for your input, Ficedula! That is not good news for me as I doubt I will ever collect hoverflies to examin them under a microscope :-C

Well, my next pictures are of something that most likely will remain unidentified. Looks like Eristalis but the body looks longish compared to the idea I have of an Eristalis. The front legs look pale. Perhaps Eristalis pertinax? Or some other genus? I am pretty lost with this group.

Attachments

• Eristalis sp1 BF.jpg
    Eristalis sp1 BF.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Eristalis sp2 BF.jpg
    Eristalis sp2 BF.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Eristalis sp3 BF.jpg
    Eristalis sp3 BF.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 65
That is not good news for me as I doubt I will ever collect hoverflies to examin them under a microscope
Why not? thats like looking at birds but never buying a pair of bins.

However, if your latest photos were British they could safely be named Eristalis pertinax. Of the 11 species known from Spain this can only be pertinax but considering that the Spanish list is only one greater than the GB list (and three fewer than the Dutch list) there must several overlooked species still to be found in Spain. Realistically, there are very few insect groups that are sufficiently well documented in Spain for any photos to be named with complete confidence. There must be thousands of species lurking in the country as yet unknown to science let alone as yet to be added to the Spanish list.

Why not? thats like looking at birds but never buying a pair of bins.

:-O :-O :-O That remark made me laugh as I see your point! The only trouble is that I believe one has to kill the hoverfly to examine it under a microscope and I don't have the guts to do it. The punishment for my cowardice is not being able to know for sure what I find out there :-O

However, if your latest photos were British they could safely be named Eristalis pertinax. Of the 11 species known from Spain this can only be pertinax but considering that the Spanish list is only one greater than the GB list (and three fewer than the Dutch list) there must several overlooked species still to be found in Spain. Realistically, there are very few insect groups that are sufficiently well documented in Spain for any photos to be named with complete confidence. There must be thousands of species lurking in the country as yet unknown to science let alone as yet to be added to the Spanish list.

Yes, all the pictures I am posting during this week (and the following days too) were all taken in England during my holidays. I certainly made the most of my time in England! :king: At least there is good bibliography (and experienced people here :)t: ;) ) about British Hoverflies. My aim is to learn to ID the common English ones properly and use that basis to get an idea of the Spanish ones. I understand the difficulty about Hoverflies in my country.

Well, a couple more for confirmation. Sorry I am only learning slowly, but I am on my way. I want to make sure I really recognize some distinctive species I found.

1. Leucozona glauca
2. Myathropa florea female

Attachments

• Leucozona_glauca BF.jpg
    Leucozona_glauca BF.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 62
  • florea fem BF.jpg
    florea fem BF.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Agree with those two Gavia!

Thank you, Aeshna!!

And now one for confirmation and one for ID. The first one I think it is Melascaeva cinctella. I am lost with the second one. I saw the specimen and had time to take 2 pictures, one so out of focus that went directly to the bin and this one. Then it flew away and couldn't find it again. No idea about the upperside pattern. But it looks rather distinctive (wishful thinking? :-O) so I decided to post it.

Attachments

• Melascaeva cinctella BF.jpg
    Melascaeva cinctella BF.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 56
  • unknown BF.jpg
    unknown BF.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 61
Thank you, Aeshna!!

And now one for confirmation and one for ID. The first one I think it is Melascaeva cinctella. I am lost with the second one. I saw the specimen and had time to take 2 pictures, one so out of focus that went directly to the bin and this one. Then it flew away and couldn't find it again. No idea about the upperside pattern. But it looks rather distinctive (wishful thinking? :-O) so I decided to post it.

Always give locality for all photos, all my previous dets make the assumption that they were taken in Spain.Makes identification much less complex.

Melascaeva cinctella. yes
second must be Myathropa florea, a particularly bright individual.

Always give locality for all photos, all my previous dets make the assumption that they were taken in Spain.Makes identification much less complex.

Melascaeva cinctella. yes
second must be Myathropa florea, a particularly bright individual.

That Myathropa florea completely fooled me!! :eek!:

Well, here comes another set of pictures. The first two show an Eristalis taken in a garden in Nottingham (hint got, Ficedula! ;) :-O) and I think it might be Eristalis tenax. The third one was taken in a meadow near Bewdly, in the Midlands. When I took the picture I thought it would be a Syrphus but I think it is too slim and probably is something else. The fourth one was taken in the same meadow and I think is Scaeva selenitica. The pale bands look too yellowish for Scaeva pyrastri to me.

Thanks in advance once more!!

Attachments

• possible tenax BF.jpg
    possible tenax BF.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 59
  • possible Eristalis tenax BF.jpg
    possible Eristalis tenax BF.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 62
  • unkown BF.jpg
    unkown BF.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 59
  • possible selenitica BF.jpg
    possible selenitica BF.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 59
Would Hornet Hoverfly occur in Devon (UK)? I ask as earlier this afternoon I spotted a 'Hornet' at rest on the border edging but on second glance it was actually a hoverfly and it took off before I even thought of going for the camera.

That Myathropa florea completely fooled me!! :eek!:

Well, here comes another set of pictures. The first two show an Eristalis taken in a garden in Nottingham (hint got, Ficedula! ;) :-O) and I think it might be Eristalis tenax. The third one was taken in a meadow near Bewdly, in the Midlands. When I took the picture I thought it would be a Syrphus but I think it is too slim and probably is something else. The fourth one was taken in the same meadow and I think is Scaeva selenitica. The pale bands look too yellowish for Scaeva pyrastri to me.

Thanks in advance once more!!

i agree

Users who are viewing this thread

Back