• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Ultravids (thread contains a variety of topics, optic reviews & other binos) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Scampo, I agree, that this text is very much biased against Nikon. From the pictures I have seen the new type sure looks very compact. I own the 60mmED III mainly as a travel scope while I use a 77mm Apo Leica when weight is not so important.
My Nikon did have a problem with the objective lens cap. It came off often during use and I finally lost it somwhere in the field. I have since replaced it by one from a Pentax 300mm tele lens. My main gripe with the handy little Nikon is the zoom lens. I still have the old version of the 20-45x that is not fully multi coated. Does anyone have any comparative experience with the various Nikon zooms? (Well, I am afraid this is the wrong thread, I may have to start one in the scope section.) I am debating about getting one of the newer ones. On the other hand, I once compared the old and the new Leica 20-60x zooms and I could not find any difference.

dont read what those divs write people

I long ago stopped reading both popular non-sub birding mags

the optics reviews aren't worth the paper they're written on and don't get me started on the book reviews......

I don't have a Nikon scope (so could be considered objective) but I'm pretty sure the optics are damn fine if not the best!

Optics reviews

Tim Allwood said:
dont read what those divs write people

I long ago stopped reading both popular non-sub birding mags

the optics reviews aren't worth the paper they're written on and don't get me started on the book reviews...... SNIP QUOTE

The big problem with optics reviews in British bird mags is that they will not give an honest opinion that a particular pair of bins or scope is better or worse than its rivals in the same price band. This is what we as consumers want (though we do of course realise that it's all a bit subjective, particularly at the top of the range). I assume the reason we don't get it is that the editors don't want to offend the optics manufacturers, who take out those lucrative full-page colour ads.

For more honest reviews I recommend the Finnish magazine Alula. I notice that Stephen Ingraham, compiler of the excellent Better View Desired website, has taken up a post with one of the big optics manufacturers and the site has not been updated for ages.

Swissboy said:
"My main gripe with the handy little Nikon is the zoom lens. I still have the old version of the 20-45x that is not fully multi coated. Does anyone have any comparative experience with the various Nikon zooms?"

Robert

The Nikon MCII zoom eyepiece is a new design (Nikon say it was created for the ED82, on which it is 25-75x, but on your scope it would be 20-60x owing to its different focal length). Unlike the old lens it is waterproof and multicoated. The views through it are excellent but the field of view, like all zooms, is restricted compared to the 30xW I also use. My son uses a Swarovski 65ED and its zoom is probably the best there is yet in almost every respect the Nikon is clearly its equal - the only exception is that the Swaro zoom does have a slightly wider field of view; but then the Nikon goes up to 75x - you win some, you lose some.

Last edited:
Steve

That's an interesting combination you have, Nikon plus Swarovski to compare! So you think I would definitely upgrade my ED III with a new ocular lens. I was debating whether I should try to sell the Nikon and get one of the other small scopes assuming that they ought to be another generation ahead. Meanwhile, I discovered the Alula test (the first one I saw that had the Nikon scope included) which convinced me to explore another route by upgrading the ocular side only. I must say that in 1999 I had my Nikon along on a trip to Ecuador, and a friend had his Leica Apo 77 along. We tried to identify a raptor under very difficult light conditions (a mix of mist and looking against the light). And under those conditions I felt that my scope had performed poorly compared to the Leica. That was the reason I considered a change in the long run. (At the time Nikon was the only top end manufacturer of small scopes.)

And now there is the question of 20-60x vs the one that goes only to 45x (which I think is enough for a 60 mm objective diameter).

Robert/Swissboy

and at the end of the day how much difference does it make if you got new Swarovski's or old Zeiss? A massive Leica or a small Nikon.....will you find more birds or ID more birds? Seems to be coming a bit of an obsession.

People will begin to talk: big scope....small...... ;)

some of the best birders use old kit, sometimes very old kit!

I think there is some difference... I have trouble using my old bins...which are dotted about the house.... perhaps its just a habituation thing in that with a few hours use I'd redjust to the slight milkiness and rolling edges of my old Dialyts.

As I said somewhere else.... today...I think its scopes that have changed most. I still have my old Heutle and its really only useful for repelling scallies at the gate

........Big scope....small..... turning circle ;)

A very interesting thread but it's now well past 100 posts, this makes it very unwieldly for many people to navigate. Any chance of winding it up over the next few days....Please start a new thread if you wish.
Regards,
Andy.

Tim Allwood said:
Seems to be coming a bit of an obsession.

You are certainly correct on this one, but then we all have our special emphasis within the hobby. Or maybe more correctly, a hobby within the hobby. I could list more of these for myself, and they are less costly than the one we are discussing here.

Tim Allwood said:
and at the end of the day how much difference does it make if you got new Swarovski's or old Zeiss? A massive Leica or a small Nikon.....will you find more birds or ID more birds? Seems to be coming a bit of an obsession.

People will begin to talk: big scope....small...... ;)

some of the best birders use old kit, sometimes very old kit!

"Obsessed"? I can see why you make such a comment but I think you'll agree that you're being too general and maybe even unfair. I used "old" kit for decades until this year when owing to having some money left to me in my mother's will, I bought some new kit as an enduring reminder of her. In the same way, my son bought his first scope - the Swarovski.

Robert's thoughts are entirely sensible and valid - the old Nikon zoom did not perform well even though the EDIII is still a superb small scope. The new 20-60x / 25-75x zoom is a different design and might be the best option for him.

And when you talk of "old kit", the most frequent I see about is Kowa's TSN 1 - 4, and that was mightily expensive when it was first purchased. Who now uses a draw tube Optolyth, I wonder - once the bee's knees? I haven't seen one in years.

Last edited:
yes, I'm usually general and often unfair Scampo - no complaints there! o:)

I've got nice newish Nikon bins that perform as well as any Leicas and Swaro's but I still find myself taking out my old Zeiss 7 x 42 dialyts these days. The field of view, light gathering, construction and resolution are just incredible. They've been all over the world, deserts, mountains, rainforest with not a single problem

And recent talk of Optolyth Alpins and Zeiss Jenoptem 8 x 30s made me think. These are seriosly old kit but still perform well enough and strangely are lighter than todays bins!

scampo said:
Which magazines do you recommend, Tim?

Why, BB of course Scampo! and Birding World is pretty damn fine at times too, once you get past the recent sightings stuff.

...and the New Musical Express and Private Eye on a religous basis

If you're after entertainment though the UK 400 club mag is worth a punt ;) and marginally better than HELLO!

"People will begin to talk: big scope....small...... ;)"

That's why I went for the compact Nikon , Tim - I often see guys walking along with their enormous long Leicas sticking out proudly and my thoughts turn to just those you were suggesting. What else is one to think??

Tim Allwood said:
Why, BB of course Scampo! and Birding World is pretty damn fine at times too, once you get past the recent sightings stuff.

...and the New Musical Express and Private Eye on a religous basis

If you're after entertainment though the UK 400 club mag is worth a punt ;) and marginally better than HELLO!

NME died a while back, didn't it, Tim? I notice an NME "annual" in the shops, though. Melody Maker was far superior :)

Now you'll have to excuse me, Tim - what's BB? The only BB I know is a lady called Bridget.

Last edited:
Sorry, Tim - Loughborough's the backwoods you know. I did work it out but too late - should've left off the beaujolais a bit sooner, just 'cos no one else liked it didn't mean I needed to drink the whole bottle myself...

Oh well!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back