• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zealand trip this winter with Enderby Scholarship (1 Viewer)

simmojunior

Hi everyone,

I've been awarded an Enderby Trust Scholarship for a place on the Heritage Expeditions Galapagos of the Southern Ocean expedition this winter so given the cost and distance of flights, I want to do a bit of exploring of New Zealand. There is not long to plan but this is as far as I've got with a draft itinerary (though nothing is booked):

Sunday 13th December Fly from Heathrow in evening
Tuesday 15th December – Arrive Auckland in evening, night in Auckland.
Wednesday 16th December - Tiritiri Matangi overnight
Thursday 17th December – Monday 21st December - ???
Tuesday 22nd December – night in Invercargill (provided)
Wednesday 23rd December – Sunday 3rd January – on boat
Sunday 3rd - Monday 4th January - ?
Tuesday 5th January – fly from Auckland to Manila in evening
Wednesday 6th January - arrive Manila 3.30 am and night in Manila
Thursday 7th January – 12.45 flight from Manila.

I was wondering therefore what people suggest I do with the spare days between 17th December and 21st December and 3rd-4th January bearing in mind in both cases I have to get between Invercargill and Auckland. I do not drive and am trying to keep costs down as much as possible as it is already way over budget. Any suggestions?

Also if anyone is in New Zealand at this time and fancies joining me for a leg, then do get in touch.

Thanks,

Oliver

Hi Oliver, I suggest you PM Chlidonias who iives in NZ. He's a great guy, who I'm sure will help you with ideas if he can. He doesn't drive either, so he's well up on how it's possible to get around without your own transport.

I'll have a think too when I get some time.

From Auckland Muriwai Beach is nearby. There are lots of Austral Gannets there.

Between Ivercargill and Auckland is Kaikoura, one of the top spots for sea birds.
Fly to Christchurch.
I think there are buses which stops in Kaikoura on the way to Picton or Wellington.

From Auckland Muriwai Beach is nearby. There are lots of Austral Gannets there.

Between Ivercargill and Auckland is Kaikoura, one of the top spots for sea birds.
Fly to Christchurch.
I think there are buses which stops in Kaikoura on the way to Picton or Wellington.

I'm not that after seabirds because I think I'll see plenty on the expedition voyage. This is my latest plan although my wallet has other ideas:

Potential itinerary.

Sunday 13th December - Fly
Thursday 17th December - night in Auckland.
Friday 18th December - night in Auckland, Kiwi tour if available
Saturday 19th December - fly Queenstown, night in Queenstown
Sunday 20th December - Visit Milford Sound (via Kiwi experience bus), night in Te Anau
Monday 21st December - night in Te Anau or Invercargill
Wednesday 23rd December – Sunday 3rd January – on boat, arrive Invercargill at noon.
Sunday 3rd Night Invercargill
Monday 4th January - Bus to Dunedin, night Dunedin
Tuesday 5th January – fly Auckland in morning, fly from Auckland to Manila in evening

As you're going to Milford Sound, you'll doubtless pass through the Homer Tunnel. This is possibly the best site for Rock Wren, surely one of NZ's most charming and odd endemics. Perhaps best looked for along the track that leads up to the right of the tunnel from the parking area. Just walk 100m or so, and check especialy around the huge house-sized boulder. Wonder if you could get one bus to drop you there and get next one?? :t:

PS, when on Tiri tiri, don't forget to check the tiny pool just up from the jetty on the left hand side of the track for Spotless Crake. Possibly the easiest stakeout in the world for it.

Last edited:
As you're going to Milford Sound, you'll doubtless pass through the Homer Tunnel. This is possibly the best site for Rock Wren, surely one of NZ's most charming and odd endemics. Perhaps best looked for along the track that leads up to the right of the tunnel from the parking area. Just walk 100m or so, and check especialy around the huge house-sized boulder. Wonder if you could get one bus to drop you there and get next one?? :t:

PS, when on Tiri tiri, don't forget to check the tiny pool just up from the jetty on the left hand side of the track for Spotless Crake. Possibly the easiest stakeout in the world for it.

Thanks Larry - will definitely try for Spotless Crake. As far as I can tell there is only one bus and I think it stops to look at the view but I doubt I can get off and explore much. Fingers crossed for Kea!

Thanks Larry - will definitely try for Spotless Crake. As far as I can tell there is only one bus and I think it stops to look at the view but I doubt I can get off and explore much. Fingers crossed for Kea!

my guess is that if you stop at the Homer Tunnel, the place you'll stop will be the parking area just before the tunnel, where the view is indeed spectacular. If so don't waste any time, and leg it up the trail for as long as you can get away with, and you may score! You'll see the area I mean from the car park.

here's the post from our trip report on BF for Homer Tunnel in case it helps:http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1407296&postcount=469

scroll up or down on the thread ad infinitum for more NZ gen and beyond. Good luck bro

Last edited:
Simmojunior said:
Thursday 17th December - night in Auckland.
Friday 18th December - night in Auckland, Kiwi tour if available
you won't be seeing any kiwi in Auckland - you'd need to be up at Trounson in Northland, which if you don't drive would mean staying the night up there and coming back down on the bus the next day. For the 18th I would suggest taking a city bus to Mangere where you should be able to see wrybills, NZ dotterels and NZ dabchick amongst other species. If you haven't booked a bed on Tiritiri then do so as soon as possible.

Simmojunior said:
Sunday 20th December - Visit Milford Sound (via Kiwi experience bus), night in Te Anau
Monday 21st December - night in Te Anau or Invercargill
my suggestion would be to fly to Invercargill and go to Stewart Island for those few days (unless you simply want to see Milford Sound). On Ulva Island, off the main town of Oban, you can see yellowhead, brown creeper, SI saddleback, weka, etc. On Stewart Island itself you can do a kiwi tour or go looking for kiwi on your own.

Simmojunior said:
Wednesday 23rd December – Sunday 3rd January – on boat, arrive Invercargill at noon.
Monday 4th January - Bus to Dunedin, night Dunedin
Tuesday 5th January – fly Auckland in morning, fly from Auckland to Manila in evening

I've been to Milford by bus from Queentown - it didn't stop at that point but it does make stops at various other scenic places (none of which were birdy spots of course!). Lots of kea on the roads along the way though, especially around the tunnel area.

I've been to Tiritiri twice: the first time the water in the pool was too high so no crake, the second time the pool was drained for some reason I cannot remember. I still haven't seen a spotless crake.

Last edited:
you won't be seeing any kiwi in Auckland - you'd need to be up at Trounson in Northland, which if you don't drive would mean staying the night up there and coming back down on the bus the next day. For the 18th I would suggest taking a city bus to Mangere where you should be able to see wrybills, NZ dotterels and NZ dabchick amongst other species. If you haven't booked a bed on Tiritiri then do so as soon as possible.

my suggestion would be to fly to Invercargill and go to Stewart Island for those few days (unless you simply want to see Milford Sound). On Ulva Island, off the main town of Oban, you can see yellowhead, brown creeper, SI saddleback, weka, etc. On Stewart Island itself you can do a kiwi tour or go looking for kiwi on your own.

Thanks Childonias. I did look at Stewart Island but it was coming up very expensive - flights to Invercargill are $150 more than Queenstown and return boat is $180, plus boat to Ulva etc... I do quite want to go to Milford Sound and Fjordland so I was wondering if I could squeeze in both but I'm not sure I can afford it perhaps by cutting out a night in Auckland and doing the Kiwi tour in Stewart Island.

Thanks for the Mangere suggestion definitely something I will do if I get any spare time in Auckland. I found this operator offering Kiwi tours from Auckland: http://www.habitattours.co.nz/eco-tours-auckland-day-night-tawharanui.html#tabs|Tabs_Group_name:Tab_1_name

I found this operator offering Kiwi tours from Auckland: http://www.habitattours.co.nz/eco-tours-auckland-day-night-tawharanui.html#tabs|Tabs_Group_name:Tab_1_name
ah, I didn't know kiwi had been released there. Seems like it's a good spot for seeing them now though. There are also takahe at the reserve.

Thanks for the help so far! What field guide would people recommend? I'd ideally be after one that covers the birds I'm likely to see in the Subantarctic as well?

This is my current plan (I've booked Tiritiri but nothing else)

Thursday 17th December - arrive in Auckland late afternoon, debating between night in Auckland or night in tatty airport hostel to allow an evening visit to Mangere.
Friday 18th December - fly Queenstown, night in Queenstown
Saturday 19th December - Visit Milford Sound (via Kiwi experience bus), night in Te Anau
Sunday 20th December - night on Stewart Island, kiwi tour
Monday 21st December - visit Ulva island, night on Stewart Island
Monday 4th January - Bus to Queenstown, night Queenstown
Wednesday 6th Jan - early am arrive in Manila, day's birding with a guide
Thursday 7th Jan - fly early afternoon and arrive UK late evening

Everything booked, thanks for all the help

Thursday 17th December - arrive in Auckland late afternoon, night in Auckland
Friday 18th December - visit Mangere, night in AUckland
Sunday 20th December - night on Stewart Island, kiwi tour
Monday 21st December - visit Ulva island, night on Stewart Island
Sunday 3rd Night Bus to Te Anau, night Te Anau
Monday 4th January - Milford with Jucy cruze, night Te Anau
Tuesday 5th January – bus to Queenstown, fly Auckland in morning, fly from Auckland to Manila in evening

Hi everyone,

I've been awarded an Enderby Trust Scholarship for a place on the Heritage Expeditions Galapagos of the Southern Ocean expedition this winter so given the cost and distance of flights, I want to do a bit of exploring of New Zealand. There is not long to plan but this is as far as I've got with a draft itinerary (though nothing is booked):

Sunday 13th December Fly from Heathrow in evening
Thursday 17th December – Monday 21st December - ???
Wednesday 23rd December – Sunday 3rd January – on boat
Sunday 3rd - Monday 4th January - ?
Tuesday 5th January – fly from Auckland to Manila in evening
Wednesday 6th January - arrive Manila 3.30 am and night in Manila
Thursday 7th January – 12.45 flight from Manila.

I was wondering therefore what people suggest I do with the spare days between 17th December and 21st December and 3rd-4th January bearing in mind in both cases I have to get between Invercargill and Auckland. I do not drive and am trying to keep costs down as much as possible as it is already way over budget. Any suggestions?

Also if anyone is in New Zealand at this time and fancies joining me for a leg, then do get in touch.

Thanks,

Oliver

You could look into going to the Miranda Shorebird centre (http://www.miranda-shorebird.org.nz) on your Auckland free day. If I remember it was about an hours drive but there may well be public transport. Its an A1 place for waders and has a visitor centre. If you were interested I'd email them they were very helpful when I went with information and you may be lucky with someone visiting.
Tiritiri is an amazing place for birds and shows how conservation has really worked there. Of all the places I have visited this would always be on top of my return visit list.

Phil

You could look into going to the Miranda Shorebird centre (http://www.miranda-shorebird.org.nz) on your Auckland free day. If I remember it was about an hours drive but there may well be public transport. Its an A1 place for waders and has a visitor centre. If you were interested I'd email them they were very helpful when I went with information and you may be lucky with someone visiting.
Tiritiri is an amazing place for birds and shows how conservation has really worked there. Of all the places I have visited this would always be on top of my return visit list.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Yeah I do want to go to Miranda instead of Mangere on my day in Auckland but unfortunately there is no public transport and I do not drive. If anyone is reading this and happens to be in Auckland on Friday 18th December and is going to Miranda, do get in touch...

Hi Phil,

Yeah I do want to go to Miranda instead of Mangere on my day in Auckland but unfortunately there is no public transport and I do not drive. If anyone is reading this and happens to be in Auckland on Friday 18th December and is going to Miranda, do get in touch...

Yes I realise you don't drive, suggest you contact them they may have someone driving in from Auckland. If I remember they have vols manning it so you could be lucky.
All the best, wherever you'll enjoy it.

As I recall it's a pretty easy hitch from Aukland to Miranda. Or at least used to be. Hopefully NZ's still one of the best countries for hitching (?)

I've sorted out a lift from a nearby bus stop. Going on Friday after Tiritiri Matangi the next two days.

A decent start with an hour's layover in Cairns airport producing 7 lifers: Scaly-breasted Munia, Willie Wagtail, White-faced Heron, Magpie Lark, Welcome Swallow, Fairy Martin and Brown Honeyeater. The munia was particularly nice after inexplicably missing them.

Pukeho, Kelp Gull, White-faced Heron and Red-billed Gull only native species in the limited daylight yesterday evening.

Struggling to sleep due to jetlag and excitement but let's see what today brings.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back