• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ross Ahmed's Self Found 2008 (1 Viewer)

Hobby (187) at Saltfleetby, Lincs added yesterday and Turtle Dove (188) today at Thorne Moors, S. Yorks (and of course twitched Red-footed Falcon!).

Spot the mistake? No 186. I've retrospectively added Golden Pheasant (Wolferton Triangle, Jan) as this is a species which falls into the category of sedentary and unlikely to be found away from traditional areas/

Superb few days on the east coast, new finds as follows:

Red-backed Shrike - Donna Nook (189)
Black Redstart - Donna Nook (190)
Whinchat - Donna Nook (191)
Red-breasted Flycatcher - Donna Nook (192)
Marsh Warbler - Flamborough Head (193)

Last edited:
Not new bird but couldn't resist posting a recording of another self-foud Quail in the Borders....you'll probably need to turn you're speakers up high though!

Attachments

• Quail.mp3
    103.1 KB · Views: 142
A good day yesterday in Northumberland started with 2 Spoonbills at Budle Bay - distant and asleep - classic! Added bonus of these been a self-found lifer (see below).

Later in the day, an inexplicable find was a Taiga Bean Goose at Longhirst Flash (photo below). The bird's origin is obviously the first thing that springs to mind - if the record's commitee add to the escape bin I'll take it off, or if anybody can prove it to be an escape before then, I'll do the same. Not sure how much weight it carries but the bird was unringed.

So that's the year list on 196 which is only 4 off last year's total.

To give an update on the self-found life list, its now on 264! Since Red Kite in March, new additions have been Capercaillie, Marsh Warbler and Spoonbill, while a full 'review' of my list found that Nightingale was missed off. I've also added Golden Pheasant (see post above).

So what seemed a completely unrealistic target of 270 by the end of 2008 is now within sniffing distance....

Attachments

• Taiga Bean Goose Longhirst Flash 7 June.jpg
    Taiga Bean Goose Longhirst Flash 7 June.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Storm Petrel (197) and Arctic Skua (198) past Whitburn Obs last night kicked off the seawatching season nicely.

More seawatching today found 2 early Sooty Shearwaters off Whitburn.....one more top equal last year's total of 200.

I learned yesterday that my Bonaparte's Gull from last year was rejected by the BBRC. Punkbirder rules state that any bird which is rejected by the relevant committee must come off your list. So this then comes off, bringing my self found list down to 263, and the target 270 by end 2008 goes back to being rather far flung.

This does not however mean I agree with their decision - quite the opposite. I agree with their previous rejections of my records - the Little Shear was probably a Manxie, and my flyover Citrine Wag should have stayed in my notebook. This however was a Bonaparte's Gull. I know in myself that I have found a Bonaparte's Gull - it's only the numbers that state otherwise. I'm gutted to say the least, but I see this as a positive - the fuel I needed to go out and nail something special.

Worked out total year list last night - 219.

List of non-self found species as follows:

1. Ferruginous Duck
2. White-billed Diver
3. Slav Grebe
4. BN Grebe
5. White-tailed Eagle
6. Golden Eagle
7. Hen Harrier
8. Osprey
9. Red-footed Falcon
10. Corncrake
11. Temminck's Stint
12. Ruff
13. Lesser Yellowlegs
14. Terek Sandpiper
15. Black Tern
16. Roseate Tern
17. Long-eared Owl
18. Lesser Grey Shrike
19. Golden Oriole
20. White-crowned Sparrow

Last edited:
Still no new birds for year, but after discussions with several birders I've decided that Bonaparte's Gull really should go back on the list - due to the fact that it was one. Another rejected find which I have not previously counted is Rough-legged Buzzard at Whitburn. This also was one, so this goes on the list also.

Citriine Wagtail still stays off however, as although this almost certainly was one, there's a slim chance that it could have been an eastern Yellow Wag.

So after much personal debate, the self-found list goes back up to 265.

A bit late....

...finally some action on Friday, with Ruff at Blacktoft Sands breaking the 200 barrier, plus Bearded Tit there taking me to 201.

Cornwall 8th-14th August

Trip to Cornwall produced multiple new birds as hoped for. Started with the first of many Balearic Shearwaters past Porthgwarra on 9th, and a juv Yellow-legged Gull at the Hayle Estuary on 10th. Scillonian Pelagic on 11th got me Cory's Shearwater (first of c5) and a Grey Phalarope.

Further seawatching off Porthgwarra and Pendeen found a total of c6 Great Shearwaters, and localised resident self-finds were Chough and Cirl Bunting.

That little lot leaves me on 209.

A juv Red-necked Grebe at Whitburn today brought me to 210.

Unsure exactly what self found year list record is but it's likely to be something like 235.

With 4.5 months and the best period of the year still to come, I wonder how close I can get to 235? The following 25 species could do it:

(species added since 17th August highlighted)

Bewicks Swan
Slavonian Grebe

Black-necked Grebe
Leach's Petrel
Hen Harrier
Osprey
Little Stint
Curlew Sandpiper
Jack Snipe
Long-tailed Skua
Sabine's Gull
Black Tern
Little Auk
Long-eared Owl
Wryneck
Shorelark
Tree Pipit
Waxwing
Cetti's Warbler
Icterine Warbler
Barred Warbler
Yellow-browed Warbler

Firecrest
Common Rosefinch
Lapland Bunting

Last edited:
Bit of quality this pm....juv White-winged Black Tern at Covenham Reservoir. Had to work for this one though - the bird was never close, and the light (although good) was rather flat.

On my first few scans through the scattered 16 Black Terns, I failed to pick up on this bird. Gradually though, it began to sink in that this bird really did have a white rump, and I wasn't just imagining the lack of a breast patch. Two hours and 200 photos later, all the subtleties fitted into place quite nicely....longer legs, broader wings, shorter bill and squarer tail. Four pics attached.

Also present at this excellent, concrete bowl were 20 Common Terns, a juv Arctic Tern, Black-necked Grebe and Hobby.

Total now 212 (Black Tern also new).

Attachments

• 339.jpg
    339.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 151
  • 342.jpg
    342.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 343.jpg
    343.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 137
  • 344.jpg
    344.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 172
Added Osprey today following a lengthy discussion regarding localised breeders. Way back in early May, I saw a bird at Loch Garton, which I cannot count as this is a regular (famous) site and I knew they were there. However I also saw 2 birds at Findhorn in the Moray Firth while searching for seaducks on the same day. These were unexpected and I found them myself (although I had a feeling that they may have been seen here at least on occasion during the past, as they no doubt are across a large part of Scotland these days). Only after later checking up on the net did I discover this is a fairly regular feeding site for the species - which is why I didn't count them at the time. In retrospect - due to the element of surprise and that other people in rankings are counting Ospreys from Moray Firth - I am now counting this as a find taking list to 213.

Another Osprey over Grimoldby, Lincs tonight and no room for debate with this one.

Nice to get in on the big movement through England currently taking place. Two pics attached.

From now on, I will highlight new species added in list of targets (above).

Attachments

• 382.jpg
    382.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 383.jpg
    383.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
An excellent day in the coast with both the sea and the land producing exciting birding.

New finds for year were a juv Sabine's Gull (Whitburn), and Wryneck and Tree Pipit (South Shields Leas).

216 for year.

Another cracking day on the coast, the highlight being a found Subalpine Warbler in Trow Quarry, South Shields. Three more Wrynecks found also, amongst large numbers of common migrants. Pics attached.

217 for year.

Attachments

• 423.jpg
    423.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 149
  • 421.jpg
    421.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Inspired by the Subalp which rarely ventures far from a single small bush and patch of willow herb, I spent a couple of hours today along Northumberland coast focussing on small, isolated clifftop bushes.

Came off quite nicely with an Icterine Warbler at Cresswell (218) in a small patch of rose bushes, and a Red-backed Shrike at Hauxley in little more than a patch of nettles.

Also new (219) were single Curlew Sands at Budle Bay and Alnmouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back