• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First camera (1 Viewer)

mtaylor87

Hi guys,

Been birdwatching for 4 months ish, birthday just around the corner and I'm requesting a camera...

Budget is quite a slim £150

I'm looking for something that will take good quality pics (obv) of small and large birds, do I'm guessing a decent zoom is in order?

I think I should point out that I lack any kind of camera control as I shake constantly, probably because of the amount of caffeine and alcohol I drink but that's another issue.

Total beginner with this so I'm sure you can guide me in the right direction.

Would recommend a travel zoom such as the Canon SX240.
They take good pictures, offer excellent zoom, 20x stabilized, from 25 to 500mm, in a pocket sized body. This model is now replaced by the SX280, but it still works very well and is within your budget.

Would recommend a travel zoom such as the Canon SX240.
They take good pictures, offer excellent zoom, 20x stabilized, from 25 to 500mm, in a pocket sized body. This model is now replaced by the SX280, but it still works very well and is within your budget.

Just taken a little look. My knowledge of cameras is hugely basic but it says it's 20x zoom. My sister has a 20x zoom that I tried out taking pictures of birds on my garden feeder about 8 metres away and I couldn't get anything of a decent quality... The 25 to 500mm... What does that stand for?

I would agree with the canon sx40, great image quality and zoom, and you should be able to pick one up for close to that budget.

Just taken a little look. My knowledge of cameras is hugely basic but it says it's 20x zoom. My sister has a 20x zoom that I tried out taking pictures of birds on my garden feeder about 8 metres away and I couldn't get anything of a decent quality... The 25 to 500mm... What does that stand for?

The lens measurement 25-500mm equivalent is referenced to the image field of view given by a 35mm camera with that size lens. A good overview of the lens description conventions is here:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/91..._source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu
The numbers do not easily translate into magnification, but very roughly 100mm is about 1x magnification, so a 500mm lens is about 5x.
Picture quality depends on light first and foremost, more light makes for shorter exposures, which cuts motion blur and sensor noise. There are lots of options on cameras such as the SX40 for controlling the settings to take the fullest advantage of the light available, as discussed in detail on some of the threads here on BF.
While the cameras Auto setting does a good job generally for record shots, for quality bird photography you will probably want to delve more deeply to get the most out of the gear you have.
There are a number of these travel zooms, from multiple manufacturers. The reviews give the Canon relatively good marks for image quality, which is why I suggested it.

The first camera suggested above does not have a viewfinder (only the screen), but the second has both. In my limited experience, a viewfinder really helps you get on the target (instead of empty bits of tree or sky). One more thing to think about!
Brian

With regards to the sx40 does it have anything to combat my rampant-rabbit style shaking?

The SX40 does have very good image stabilization, but, as noted earlier, it lacks a view finder. So one holds the camera at some length from the body while shooting, using the view screen on the back to aim the camera.
This works well, at least for me, but if you are jittery and the camera is at full zoom, it will be hit or miss. You will be wanting a rest of some kind or maybe even a monopod for those cases.

The SX40 does have very good image stabilization, but, as noted earlier, it lacks a view finder. So one holds the camera at some length from the body while shooting, using the view screen on the back to aim the camera.

The SX40 does have a viewfinder, or at least it did when I had one ;)

This works well, at least for me, but if you are jittery and the camera is at full zoom, it will be hit or miss. You will be wanting a rest of some kind or maybe even a monopod for those cases.

It certainly does have a viewfinder not sure what camera you are on about

It certainly does have a viewfinder not sure what camera you are on about

My mistake. :(
You are absolutely correct, the SX 40 very much has a view finder and is in general a much more capable camera than the SX240 that I was thinking about.
For less than 150 pounds it is a steal, imho.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back