• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optical performance: Nikon 8x32 SE vs the new EDG? (1 Viewer)

Ed,

Happy thanksgiving!

On the eyecups - nose-relief question, the diameter of the eyelens (21mm while the diameter of the whole eyepiece is about twice that) certainly is not too large in the SE's. That would not prevent a redesign of the surrounding mechanics. I have not taken the eyepiece apart, but nevertheless doubt that there would be lenses so large as to make a thinner assembly impossible.

Kimmo

Nikon SE eyecups

From memory I would guess that the eyepiece diameter for example of the Nikon 8x40 EX is at least as big than that of the SE. The EX is much cheaper and its optics are by sure inferior to that of the SEs. But it has better because of twistable eyecups. I think that anachronism can be explained by an economical point of view. Nikon has to modify the production process (unchanged since 1995 in the case of the 10x42 SE) of the SE for introduction of new eyecups. A change like this does cause costs. From an economical point of view this can only be justified by high enough sales figures.

Steve

Last edited:
Ah. I see. It makes a difference ;)

It's odd, isn't it? The SEs have received so much praise, and there is clearly a high number of "Porristos" as potential buyers.
Putting in some O-ring seals to render it watertight cannot be too much of a problem. I am not an engineer but I should guess it can be done without changing the optical design at all.
So why Nikon does not do it escapes me ...

Tom

Hi Tom,

Wouldn't that be because the focusing would be obstructed with an annoyingly stiff focus wheel?

I really really hate 'frozen' focusers!

Regards, Ronald

Ed,

Happy thanksgiving!

On the eyecups - nose-relief question, the diameter of the eyelens (21mm while the diameter of the whole eyepiece is about twice that) certainly is not too large in the SE's. That would not prevent a redesign of the surrounding mechanics. I have not taken the eyepiece apart, but nevertheless doubt that there would be lenses so large as to make a thinner assembly impossible.

Kimmo

Hi Kimmo,

Looking at the positive, we appear to agree on the important point that the geometry is a pain in-the-nose to a large percentage of people, and would need to be dealt with if the eyecups were made rigid and retractable. Looking at the negative, assuming this could be done, as Steve pointed out it would be a significant production expense that would drive up prices in a market (as Kevin might say) with psychological set points. ;)

Cheers,
Ed

So the two best porro's are quite old and being discontinued? What are those of us who like high end optics AND porro's to do? I have Swaro's 10x42 EL's and usually breathe a sigh of relief when picking up my Swift Audubon ED's.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back