• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I have $2K burning a hole in my pocket what binocular should I buy? (2 Viewers)

Dennis, post 57 and many previous posts,
I think I found an excellent solution for your burning mental/money problem. This weekend I visited a fair of historical photographic and other optical instruments and to my enormous surprise I found what you are looking for: a 6x30 WA=Wide Angle porro; brand new and with FOV of 200m/1000m. Very good optical performance, brand name Libra and it costs new 20-30 euros (it is not a joke, this is really true). It saves you 1975 dollars which you can use to make somebody else happy who is not so fortunate in life. Result: two happy persons, may be three if your wife knows about it.
Gijs van Ginkel

Dennis, post 57 and many previous posts,
I think I found an excellent solution for your burning mental/money problem. This weekend I visited a fair of historical photographic and other optical instruments and to my enormous surprise I found what you are looking for: a 6x30 WA=Wide Angle porro; brand new and with FOV of 200m/1000m. Very good optical performance, brand name Libra and it costs new 20-30 euros (it is not a joke, this is really true). It saves you 1975 dollars which you can use to make somebody else happy who is not so fortunate in life. Result: two happy persons, may be three if your wife knows about it.
Gijs van Ginkel
If I don't spend the money on a binocular my wife will spend it on jewelry. I have to decide fast too. She knows I have it.:gh::eek!:

Last edited:
They are all kind of boring to me. Buy an old motorcycle, money better spent
I have had a LOT of motorcycles but I like FAST ones. I have a need for speed. The last one I had was a Kawasaki ZX1400 Ninja with a special exhaust system that developed 200 HP. I got clocked at 109 MPH getting on the highway by our friendly State Patrol. Anyway, I got a $500 fine with a lot of points and almost lost my license. That was the last bike I had.:king:

Last edited:
You know that would be an interesting idea. That would be a great setup over Trail Ridge Road which climbs to over 14,000 feet.

Dennis,

Trail Ridge is above timberline but mostly 11,000 to 12,000 and topping out at just over 12,000. Highest point in RMNP is top of Long's Peak at a little over 14,000 (14,255 by survey marker). I've been there and don't think there will be any roads going up it anytime too soon.

Enjoy, 8-P

CG

Attachments

• IMG_3191.JPG
    IMG_3191.JPG
    295.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3194.JPG
    IMG_3194.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3195.JPG
    IMG_3195.JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3198.JPG
    IMG_3198.JPG
    339.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3210.JPG
    IMG_3210.JPG
    358.2 KB · Views: 21
I had to make a quick decision so I decided to get a Swarovski SLC HD 8x56. My wife was eyeing some jewelry.:gh: I use my two compact Swarovski's the CL 8x30 and CL-P 8x25 for hiking so I have it covered for hiking and birding. I really want to see if there is any optical advantage to having a big aperture binocular in the daytime as was discussed in the other thread. The low light performance was important also because I like to glass in the evening a lot for birds and wildlife from a stand. I can compare it to my Canon 10x42 IS-L which is about the same weight. I get it tomorrow. I will write a little mini-review.

Last edited:
Dennis,

What happened to the EII.

A.W.
Sold it. Frankly, I am worried from what I have been hearing about Nikon that they are not going to support their older binoculars like the SE. They do still make the EII. I don't use it much either. I much prefer the Swarovski CL 8x30. It has become my mainbirding glass especially when hiking. Smaller and better handling with good objective covers and rainguard and it hangs straight and you don't have to worry if it starts raining or some water from the river splashes it and gets it wet.

Last edited:
Dennis,

Trail Ridge is above timberline but mostly 11,000 to 12,000 and topping out at just over 12,000. Highest point in RMNP is top of Long's Peak at a little over 14,000 (14,255 by survey marker). I've been there and don't think there will be any roads going up it anytime too soon.

Enjoy, 8-P

CG
Trail Ridge Road opens on Memorial Day usually if it doesn't snow. I meant in a few months when it gets a little warmer.

Dennis, make sure you get the review in before the 30 day return period, I am actually curious about your review. Remember to put aside the ergonomics of the larger glass and concentrate on just the optics....... just the optics.

A.W.

Dennis, make sure you get the review in before the 30 day return period, I am actually curious about your review. Remember to put aside the ergonomics of the larger glass and concentrate on just the optics....... just the optics.

A.W.
I won't get the Swarovski HD SLC 8x56 until tomorrow. I did go over to Cabella's today to look at one in person. All they had was the SLC 15x56 so I compared it to the Swarovski 10x50 SV. What surprised me is the SLC is not much bigger than the SV and when you are holding it the balance is so good you really don't notice the difference in weight. The big SLC really surprised me how good it was. HaHa! It kind of made the big SV look like an 8x20. Man that thing is a REAL binocular. It was a little hard to hold 15x steady but holy cow can you see DETAIL at 15x and the AFOV is pretty big on the 15x and the edges are tack sharp just like an SV. The big SLC was brighter in the store than the SV also. When I switched between the two it was almost like somebody turned on a flashlight when I was using the SLC. You could see all the features of the antelope head across the store with the SLC but they were vague with the SV. That thing would be awesome mounted on a tripod. It made look forward to getting the 8x56 SLC although I know 8x will not show the detail the 15x does.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back