• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guide Book for China (1 Viewer)

Hi Andrew,
"A Field Guide to Birds of China" by John MacKinnon & Karen Phillips is still the best at the moment, mine is a bit battered now. Although I also take "The Birds of Hong Kong and South China" by Clive Viney, Karen Phillips and Lam Chiu Ying with me as well.

Where will you be going to in China?

Cheers
Nick

Hi:Andrew
I agree with Nick. "A Field Guide to Birds of China" by John MacKinnon & Karen Phillips is the best and also only general guide book. But it have some mistakes. So If you will go to north China, a European Bird guide can give some references. I use a Collins Bird Guide, and find many bird I see in Beijing in this book. If you will go to south China , especially in Yun Nan , you'd better consult "Birds of South-east Asia" by Craig Robson.

Cheers
Li Ming

Last edited:
I agree with the earlier posters on the McKinnon. But I've just received the new Helm Field Guide to the Birds of East Asia (by Mark Brazil) and it looks excellent. One immediate issue I do have with it is the distribution maps - very small for such a large area. But this probably reflectes the fact that detailed knowledge of distribution in the region is still a work-in-progress.

For China I suspect that which Guide we take for the foreseeable future will depend on where we are going. If it's to the north and east then Brazil will probably be the choice. For the south and west the McKinnon, plus maybe the Robson or the Viney et al.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back