• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

dividing by ten... (1 Viewer)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well I have had my 40D for a couple of weeks now so thought it was time to see how it compares to the 400D that I have been using. I’ve not done any side by side test shots for this, just basing it on personal experience of using the cameras in the field.

Size and Handling: The 40D is significantly bigger and heavier than the 400D, although I’ve always been happy with the 400D for me the 40D feels much nicer in the hand. The 40D feels more solid and better built (though I’ve had no problems with the 400D). I've a feeling that once I add a grip I'll like the feel of the 40D even more.

Controls and layout: despite years of using 350/400Ds and being very familiar with the layout of these cameras the 40D was instantly easy to use. I find it even easier to alter settings on the fly with my new camera, I particularly like the exposure comp on the big wheel and that the ISO is displayed in the view finder. The main menus are much the same on both cameras, both very straight forward and easy to navigate.

Image quality: I was surprised to notice a distinct difference in the IQ of these two cameras. Whether this is down to the 40Ds 14-bit conversion (which generates much bigger RAW files) I don’t know, but I do know that my photos need noticeably less sharpening with the 40D. The other much talked about issue is the high ISO performance, though it’s mainly being compared to the 30D. My starting point is ISO400, dropping down when light allows and pushing up to 800 when really needed. With the 40D I still start at ISO400 but have found that these images often don’t need any NR (400D at ISO400 almost always did). I will happily push it up to ISO800 (to my eyes these images are similar to ISO400 on the 400D) and at ISO1600 it’s better than the 400D at ISO800.

Other features: one of the big draws of the 40D for me was the faster frame rate, needless to say I’m loving this. For birds in flight it’s been a real bonus, as has the bigger buffer (17 RAWs vs 9RAWs for the 400D). The battery life is also a lot better, I was getting ~800 shots out of each charge with the 400D, the first charge of the 40D managed just over 2000 shots! RAW files are much bigger with the 40D, so I only get ~150 shots on a 2gb card rather than ~200 as I do with the 400D – slightly annoying, but given the low cost of memory not something I’m too worried about.

Verdict: the 400D is and always has been a great camera and at the price you really cannot go wrong. But… the 40D is (IMO) a nicer camera to use, and delivers slightly better images. The bigger buffer, faster frame rate, better high ISO handling and spot metering all make it a better birding camera. I’m very pleased I made the change, I dare say that if funds allow I’ll upgrade my second body to a 40D too.

nice review ,on the noise been better its not only 14bit the 40d has new micro lense's on the sensor i think its diffrent spacing and that gives better noise control leading to better overall IQ i do belevie it was a stop inprovment and that relates to your finding's too.
Rob.

Good honest comparision there Pete and as a 400D owner its good to know what the difference is for the extra money with the 40D.

Excellent report. My immediate reaction, and mine only arrived last week, was the difference with the viewfinder. Even though it is only a little larger than the 350D/400D, it really looks much bigger. In my view one of the most important differences. OK it still doesn't match the 5D, but that is in another ball park. My one gripe so far is the on/off switch. Have got so used to it being on the top, right back to my original Canon FTb.

Nice report Pete - I have only had my 40D a few days but my first observation is the AF speed. With my 400mm f5.6 on the 30D the AF was extremely fast but on the 40D it is awesome (near instantaneous).
Also I have tried the taped converter trick with the 400mm f5.6 and can confirm what others have said. Centre focus point only really struggles but choose any other focus point and it works fine.

Nice report Pete - I have only had my 40D a few days but my first observation is the AF speed. With my 400mm f5.6 on the 30D the AF was extremely fast but on the 40D it is awesome (near instantaneous).
Also I have tried the taped converter trick with the 400mm f5.6 and can confirm what others have said. Centre focus point only really struggles but choose any other focus point and it works fine.

You are touching on a sore point Roy .... :-C Will the improved AF speed compensate for the struggling centre focus point? (I hate using other points ... )
Actually just looking for a reason to live ;)

You are touching on a sore point Roy .... :-C Will the improved AF speed compensate for the struggling centre focus point? (I hate using other points ... )
Actually just looking for a reason to live ;)
Hi Max, Centre point focus is brilliant in normal use - it is just when you use it with a taped converter that the problems occurs.

Really nice comparison Pete ... Your view's are solid and just swayed Me to
Buy One for Christmas ... It's been Itching Me to get a 40D and now Santa
will get His List ;) ... ( Me buying the Missus a 350D is another reason lol, ) ,
Thank's for this ... Appreciate It Sir, Hope Your well Too,
Take Care,
John,

Hi Max, Centre point focus is brilliant in normal use - it is just when you use it with a taped converter that the problems occurs.

Exactly my main usage |=(| ... does this limitation apply to any TC, or is more relevant with, say, a Canon or a Kenko?

A sad, sad, sad Max

Excellent report. My immediate reaction, and mine only arrived last week, was the difference with the viewfinder. Even though it is only a little larger than the 350D/400D, it really looks much bigger. In my view one of the most important differences.

Totally agree with you, I intended to mention the viewfinder but forgot! It really is a pleasure to look through when you're used to a 350D/400D.

Exactly my main usage |=(| ... does this limitation apply to any TC, or is more relevant with, say, a Canon or a Kenko?

I've tested the 40D, 400 f5.6 combo with both the Kenko and Sigma 1.4x tcs and it's an issue with both - sorry.

Thanks for the informative review Pete, good read. I wonder how my 5D will compare to the 40D's noise characteristics and IQ. The 5D is meant to be quite good. the 40D looks like the ideal birding camera.

I have been pondering a new camera this last year and put my name down for the 1D MkIII, but was put of by the focusing issues and in the end, withdrew my order. Then came the 1Ds MkIII which looks a gem of a camera, but would put a real strain on the wallet (a loan I think!).

I love the full frame of the 5D (I also shoot some landscapes and portraits) and its IQ (I originally upgraded from a 20D), but the frame rate is slow at 3fps and the pixels are large. The 1Ds MkIII seems to have everything - small pixels, full frame, same focusing and metering as the 1D MkIII, even a reasonable frame rate. Nigel Blake told me that I don't need more ;)

I am on a list for the 1Ds MkIII, but will feel a sweat when my name comes up B :)

Adrian

I had a bit of a chuckle a couple of weekends back...

I was out shooting little auks at my local harbour, and bumped into a photographer using the MkIII.

Man! did my 6.5 fps sound slow and pedestrian compared to that thing!

;)

One of the things I particularly like about the 40D (shooting in RAW) is the intensity of colour that I'm seeing: not (over) saturation, but depth and richness that I've never really seen from the 30D.

I can only assume that this is somehow related to the 14 bit processing, but whatever it is, I like it.

The fact that I can confidently use 400 ISO as my "base" ISO without any qualms whatsoever about pushing the sensitivity up, is brilliant too.

Last edited:
I was out shooting little auks at my local harbour, and bumped into a photographer using the MkIII.

Man! did my 6.5 fps sound slow and pedestrian compared to that thing!

;)QUOTE]

Fair enough, they must be getting something for that extra two grand!

One of the things I particularly like about the 40D (shooting in RAW) is the intensity of colour that I'm seeing: not (over) saturation, but depth and richness that I've never really seen from the 30D.

I can only assume that this is somehow related to the 14 bit processing, but whatever it is, I like it.
Only had mine a few days but I would agree with this - there is a certain richness to the colours which is quite unlike the 30D or 350D.

The Red's are particular Striking I heard ;) ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back