• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EDG availability? (1 Viewer)

I see that ebay offering is from gr8fuldoug, which is Doug of Camerland NY, a very reputable dealer. If Doug is listing them, they are definitely real, plus you could call him directly and perhaps get a slightly better deal. He also will ship the bin out and take it back no questions asked. I don't know how that works internationally, but here in the States, guys will have him ship two diferent bins to compare, then send back the one that didn't measure up.

Eagle Optics shows both 7x42s and 10x42s in stock, though no others.

The 7x42s have been available for a while now from various US sites.
If people are buying them, then why haven't we read any reports?

Kevin, you should buy one and post a report.Or you may be like me, where my wife would have a difficult time understanding why I need to spend money like that on another bin when our wood floor needs refinishing...

Well John, though I have no doubt the EDGs are very fine, I'm pretty happy with my relatively new 7x42 Ultravids to want to spend close to $2K. And...I have no interest in the 10s.

Also, the Leicas already have a little too much eye relief for me and are cited as having 17mm. Nikon's specs for the 7x42 EDG's eye relief is 22mm. One can't assume everything from numbers on a page but I'd certainly want to try a pair before breaking out the card.

So I guess the ball's in your court after all! Wood floor be damned, when there's bitchin binos to be bought. ;)

Last edited:
I am finding it quite odd that the EDG binocular, ostensibly the new flagship of the Nikon binocular line, only appears on the Nikon USA website after all this time. It's not on their European or Asian webpages. It does allow one to infer that the current production is adequate for a N. Am. trial balloon and nothing more.

Agreed. Also odd is that the 32mm EDG models seem to be MIA. Additionally, the Nikon USA site no longer lists the 32mm or 42mm LX L's. While certainly not perfect, I thought these models filled a nice niche for half the price of a Big 3 bin. My wife loves her 8x32 LX L's. Perhaps they just weren't selling?

I think the EDG's, like the new Swaro EL's, got caught in the middle of the downturn of our "world economy." The company is likely reevaluating their release from that standpoint. Maybe their price will come down?:news:

It might have been easier to adjust to the changing economic conditions if they had not adopted a new open frame design. The cost of retooling must be a factor to consider here; and they have a lot more models planned for release than Swarovski does. I wonder if the new, improved optics would have fit into a newer version of the older LX L frame?

I'd love to get my hands on one of their new 7 x 42's!

Bob

If the new EDG 8x42 really lives up to its specs, it ticks all the boxes for me and I´d be prepared to sell off even my beloved EII´s and EL´s to fund a pair. Nikon Europe told me some months ago that they would be available in February. I await with bated breath. Meanwhile, there are still a very few dealers in the U.S. that have a pair in stock for sale at 1899 USD (ABA, for example). I´ve never bought binos from the U.S., not sure what the warranty issue would be, and if they were intercepted by customs here they would slap on a hefty duty....in an attempt to re-balance the budget and pay for the bank bail-out here....

Cameralandny has a pair of 7x42s listed on e-bay which no-one has taken the bait on yet, maybe because the situation seems to have stalled. We were promised release of all models by spring 08, so my patience (for one) has run out.

Nikons EDGs are not produced any more, current stock is being sold in the US, but the EDG will probably never make it to Europe. Reason for the withdrawel is most likely that Nikon wants to avoid lawsuits for patent violation.....

This is the summary of the renewed speculation in a German optics forum: http://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/read.php?9,246287,246287#msg-246287

The same rumour has been discussed here earlier and been dissmissed as not credible. As no official Nikon statement is being available at this matter, I guess it still can be dissmissed as pure speculation.

I personally tend to believe it because the owner of that forum (an optics dealer) also confirms that rumor, and more important, as there is still no sight of EDGs in Europe.

Florian

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back