• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optical performance: Nikon 8x32 SE vs the new EDG? (1 Viewer)

The word is ... puzzlement.

Have you been at the vodka again, Kingfisher? ;)

Could you rephrase that posting in the form of a question or a statement?

The word is ... puzzlement.

Have you been at the vodka again, Kingfisher? ;)

Could you rephrase that posting in the form of a question or a statement?

"vs" in the headline stands for "versus"..

But OK, here is a question for you ..

How do you think the Nikon 8x32 SE stand against EDG 7x42 in terms of optical performance?

Bottom up .. ;)

Last edited:
The word is free.. ---> In English, the discussion is open.

A "discussion" would make slightly more sense if the EDGs were actually available, wouldn't it ;);)
(they aren't in Europe .... at least in western and central Europe) ;);)

Tom

"vs" in the headline stands for "versus"..

But OK, here is a question for you ..

How do you think the Nikon 8x32 SE stand against EDG 7x42 in terms of optical performance?

Bottom up .. ;)

Well, I think it's a certainty that they will perform differently. But that would be expected given the different specifications and a 3x price differential.

It would be interesting to read a comparison of binoculars that were closer to the 7x42 EDG.

Hi Kingfisher,

Can you explain to me the blackout issues with 8x32 SE's. Is this blown out of all proportion? I don't wear glasses.

I'm considering buying a pair on-line but having never tried them am a bit sceptical.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi Kingfisher,

Can you explain to me the blackout issues with 8x32 SE's. Is this blown out of all proportion? I don't wear glasses.

I'm considering buying a pair on-line but having never tried them am a bit sceptical.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi!
It is USUALLY a problem of not properly aligning the eyepieces with the observer's eyes. Setting the interpupillary distance (IPD) in most cases cures the problem.
When blackout occurs, the IPD is usually slightly too wide; decreasing it slightly frequently eliminates the blacking-out.

Tom

Kingfisher,

I did some comparison of these two binoculars on this thread, primarily off-axis performance.

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=116087

Both of these are excellent examples of their types, but the types are so different that I think a choice between them will come down to whether you prefer an 8x32 Porro or a 7x42 roof.

Blackouts in the form of flickering kidney bean shaped shadows occur with the SE if the eye is placed too close to the eyepiece. This can happen because the fold down rubber eyecup doesn't offer much adjustment. Depending on facial structure and eyeglass design some people cannot position their eyes far enough behind the eyepiece. The biggest problem seems to be for eyeglass wearers when the eyecups are rolled down. I don't wear glasses, but I would prefer it if the extended eyecup were slightly shorter. I have to press against the eyecup to see the entire field easily. Alas, these problems would be completely solved by modern twist type eyecups with intermediate settings. As things are there's really no substitute for trying out the SE on your own face before purchasing (and be sure to order an extra set or two of replacement eyecups in case they are no longer available in the future).

Henry

Hi!
It is USUALLY a problem of not properly aligning the eyepieces with the observer's eyes. Setting the interpupillary distance (IPD) in most cases cures the problem.
When blackout occurs, the IPD is usually slightly too wide; decreasing it slightly frequently eliminates the blacking-out.

Tom

I concur with ThoLa ... I get KBing in my right eye with the SE (more astigmatic correction in the glasses has something to do with it ... -2D more cylinder than my left eye that doesn't have problems) but it's reduced to essentially zero when

I've noticed this with other bins too ... usually adding a little bit of twistup (assuming the eyecup allows that) usually solves the problem. And as Henry says the SE really missed out on not having twist up multi-position eyecups.

The SE shows up (more strongly) problems that some folks (like me) have in a weaker form with other bins. Perhaps I'm just borderline with my eyes + glasses just straddling the critical needed eye relief but I also suspect the exit pupil of the bin is curved and some people seems to be more susceptible to that e.g. even when not blacking out with normal use I can't swivel my eyes to look at the edge of field with these bins without a blackout.

As lot of others have said the only way to know is to try them.

Perhaps you could get an estimate of the odds with a quick survey here of people who have looked through/used an SE.

+1 fixable blackouts: but not enough for me to stop using them.

Why's that?
Any hard data to support it??

Tom

That wasn't an opinion, Tom. It was a prediction. It's based on the 10 or 11 year history of the binocular. As far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong) the SE has been unchanged since it's introduction in 1998 or 1989. During this period of time it's optics have been favorably used as the standard of comparison with the new models of roof prisms that appeared with all their various technical changes. That is a remarkable run! If it was Nikon's goal to make the finest general purpose porro prism binocular possible when they designed the SE then it's hard to argue that they didn't succeed. The major complaints against it are it's lack of waterproofing and the Kidney Bean effect discussed above.

Time will tell if the EDG is optically equal to it, or better. But then, one wonders if newer modern coatings on the lenses and prisms of the SE's
would make them even better?

Cordially,
Bob

Last edited:
Time will tell if the EDG is optically equal to it, or better. But then, one wonders if newer modern coatings on the lenses and prisms of the SE's
would make them even better?

Bob,

I doubt there would be a big difference. Anti-reflection coatings have already been very good in the first generation of the SEs, and all those advanced & expensive dielectric mirrors and phase-coatings are not even necessary in the porros. Improved scratch resistance and water-repellent coatings would be nice though. :t:

Best regards,

Ilkka

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back