• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular magnification (1 Viewer)

Essex Tern

🪶
Supporter
England
I am in the market for a new pair of binoculars and have been thinking for a good while about stepping down from 8x to 7x.

I have recently been using a cheap pair of 7x35 porros I acquired to see how I get on with the magnification, and I don't think I have missed the 1x extra of an 8, however I haven't covered a large variety of habitats with them as yet.

My main testing of the magnification has been at reservoirs, saltmarsh and estuary where I have come to the conclusion if it's too far for 7x, then 8x wouldn't help me. I have held the binoculars away from my eyes to simulate slightly more magnification. With distant birds I think a scope has to come to the rescue, I personally don't think 1x magnification makes a difference at distance.

I have read that 7x is considered good for forests. I have played with viewing close up birds in my garden, and although the image is smaller, I don't believe 8x gives me much advantage, if any, for ID'ing.

My question to those who have used both 7x and 8x extensively is when will that extra 1x be useful, is there a time where 8x would have clinched an ID where a 7x wouldn't, and what was that situation?

I understand all the benefits of the 7x and am very tempted, but I would appreciate the thoughts of people with more experience than myself, as when I make the purchase it will be for an "only pair" of binoculars, and ideally I hope to make them last my life, and obviously don't want to make a mistake with something as simple as the power!

Many thanks.

My question to those who have used both 7x and 8x extensively is when will that extra 1x be useful, is there a time where 8x would have clinched an ID where a 7x wouldn't, and what was that situation?

Many thanks.

The short answer is no... you won't miss an ID because of 7x vs 8x in any situation.

I wouldn't trade the DOF, FOV, eye relief and ease of view of my 7x for an 8x or a 10x. Nothing wrong with those formats (and I have used both in the same conditions as my 7x) but 7x does some stuff better than higher x formats.

Use a pair of 7x in the conditions you bird... and let your eyes decide.

7x makes a perfect "everywhere" binocular. Choose an SLC, Meopta, Zeiss or Leica and be happy for a long time.

Cheers

Last edited:
The image stabilized 12x might get you an ID, beyond that you need a scope. Or you could consider a 16x bino with a tripod, but it is as hevy as a scope usually. My scope zooms from 20x, and the 20x is definitely a lot more than 7x to 10x.

As you stated, you wish to ID without a scope, so the 7x-8x will be much the same. I had a pair of zooms...everyone is tempted with these...tha went 7x to 15x. I used them at 7x as a pocket bino. The 15x end gave me the same bird, only bigger and fuzzier.

Last edited:
I really don't think there is one right answer that fits everybody, nor do I think others can make that decision for you. Walk out right now and try to take a look at the tits in your nearest forest to gain some of the experience you are thinking of.

Niels

I agree with OP. I have been using 7x36 ZEN ED2, 8x43 ZEN ED and 8.5X EL for the past few months. Practically, I don't see much difference between 7x and 8x or 8.5x in IDing the species. Of course, if you compare them side by side with proper reference, you can see the difference in magnification and field of view. But I cannot discern any difference in brightness and clarity.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back