• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please Help ID Hawk Eagle (1 Viewer)

cackler

Please help me identify the hawk eagle. It was found in Northern Luzon, Philippines.

I am thinking it is a Juvenile Changeable Hawk Eagle (pale morph) or a Juvenile Philippine Hawk Eagle. It also has three (3) to four (4) three-inch crests. It is close to 45 cms. from head to tail.

My problem is that it has a mask and it's cere is yellow.

Thank you so much.

Attachments

• IMG_2611.jpg
    IMG_2611.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 246
Our town is between the sea and the mountains. It is also a migratory path for sparrowhawks.

When I came to this town, I was so disgusted with the farmers who were hunting the sparrowhawks. I made my disgust known in a very diplomatic way. Pretty soon, folks were giving me wounded birds. I got the help of the local doctor to patch up and release. I tried to get the help of the National Government. They sent someone over once, and that was it.

That was three (3) years ago. People have not stopped bringing injured birds here. Those that can be released, I released. At present, I have an owl with an eye defect it could not grasp, a sea eagle with a four (4) inch gash on its chest, a serpent eagle with a broken right wing and a sparrowhawk that seems to have some defect as it falls asleep in flight and just crashes down.

The hawk eagle in the picture was given to me because they could no longer feed it. I don't know if it can be released. They say they got it since it was just a chick. They say they ate the mother.

Oh well. I have a couple of giant cloud rats also that were given to me. The mountain folk also eat them.

It looks like I get birds that are leftovers from meals. More oh well.

And, I already released seven hawk eagles. But the one in the picture confuses me because of its mask and yellow cere.

Thank you.

Hello Cackler,
welcome to birdforum!

I expect that your response was just the story Steveo hoped to hear.

Niels

Thank you Mr. phil baber and Mr. njlarsen.

Nobody has been doing it in our parts here. The National Government is not supportive either.

I have just been drawn to what I am doing the first time I saw a sparrowhawk choking in its own blood. For the life of me, I could not understand. Something in me was also chocking at that moment.

Young men here flash all sorts of airguns and small caliber rifles during April. Maybe they think courage is measured by the thunder of a bullet and honor is gained by the blood of the bird. I insist there is neither honor or dignity in taking the life of a bird whose only fault maybe make us envious of the freedom of their flight.

Somehow, I despair and think only the birds are listening.

I am happy to be in this forum. Thank you for your warm welcome.

First of all: i'm happy that there are people like you and I wish there would be more of them! I had a look at the at the eagles that occure in the Philippines and i think this is a juv. Rufous-bellied Eagle. The bill is pretty small and there are no others with a head pattern like this. Also the size is about right.

Yes. I think that is what it is. Thank you Sir Tombac and Sir Rockfowl.

My next problem would be how to get it wild again. Too much human contact may have removed the "wild" in his life.

Thank you again.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back