• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redpoll id Leeds W Yorks (1 Viewer)

frogstar

I'm sure I've got it right this time;) I think 1-3 are the same bird and it's a meally redpoll and #4 is a lesser redpoll. Could someone please confirm or shoot me down in flames. My main concern really is #1 as I moved to get a better view and thought it was the same bird as #2 and #3. Thanks in advance
Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_4498.jpg
    IMG_4498.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_4505.jpg
    IMG_4505.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_4506.jpg
    IMG_4506.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_4513.jpg
    IMG_4513.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 190
I would say that you are right with all 4 but I would wait for other people to confirm this as I'm no expert

I would say 1 and 4 may be the same bird due to the darker brown face, tho of course this could be lighting effect. This bird i feel is lesser redpoll from the back, but pale underparts and streaking are indicative of mealy , while 2-3 look like a good candidate for mealy.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Here are a few more shots but I'm afraid they're not very good.

Attachments

• IMG_4499.jpg
    IMG_4499.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4500.jpg
    IMG_4500.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4501.jpg
    IMG_4501.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4502.jpg
    IMG_4502.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4503.jpg
    IMG_4503.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 53
A few more. Thanks in advance.
Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_4504.jpg
    IMG_4504.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4507.jpg
    IMG_4507.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4508.jpg
    IMG_4508.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 82
I think they could be Mealies, but not 100%
from the original photos, looking at the birds in the later photos, 3 seems most likely, and I think it probably is Mealy
2 could well be too.
I Stand by 1 and 4 being lessers.

If that didn't make sense:

1 Lesser
2 Poss Mealy
3 Most Likely Mealy
4 Definatly Lesser for me

redpolls

I'm sure I've got it right this time;) I think 1-3 are the same bird and it's a meally redpoll and #4 is a lesser redpoll. Could someone please confirm or shoot me down in flames. My main concern really is #1 as I moved to get a better view and thought it was the same bird as #2 and #3. Thanks in advance
Kevin

Hi kevin

1 and 4 lesser, 2 and 3 mealy..I think. Check out yorkshire forum for some of birds that have been driving me crackers near York.
2 is a defo Mealy though, in my opinion! No 1 has really buffish wing coverts, mealy should be whiter..and its just too brown overall.Find the flock again and watch, watch ,watch.
I'm getting closer after studying my flock to posting birds that do cause some interest, ie mealy or arctic. They are really great birds though..and fab pics too!!

Paul

Last edited:
I know it is not the same as seeing a bird in the flesh, but your latter photos show features which for me are borderline Mealy/Coues Arctic. The pale rump is distinct but heavily marked and this is really indicative of mealy but maybe does not rule out Coues (having seen some photos of Coues in the hand). I would previously have said the amount of markings on the rump would rule out Coues. The pale rump area does seem to extend quite markedly up onto the back and the feathering is loose and fluffy, both features can be quite good for Coues Arctic. In the latter photos the bird has smallish bill and small beedy eye - again both good Arctic features - but these are subjective features and photos can be deceptive. The underparts are pale with no biscuit brown flanks as ground colour which Lessers usually possess (hence sort of ruling out that species), and the flank streaking is borderline for Mealy and Coues. It is fairly continuous and regulated (good for mealy), but not particularly bold and dark (good for Coues). I would go for mealy as the streaking extends low down. Can't see whether there are any undertail covert (UTC) lines, almost look absent on one photo but that is blatantly unclear in these photos. That frosty white wingbar is good for Arctic, but also ok for mealy.

I think it is mealy, but it is an interesting bird. I can't 'quite' rule out Coues. The overall paleness (whitish not just sandy-buff) of the mantle that is "apparent" on some photos interests me, but this may just be photographic effect.

This is just my humble opinion, I am no expert but have found studying them in detail this winter quite fascinating.

Last edited:
I know it is not the same as seeing a bird in the flesh, but your latter photos show features which for me are borderline Mealy/Coues Arctic. The pale rump is distinct but heavily marked and this is really indicative of mealy but maybe does not rule out Coues (having seen some photos of Coues in the hand). I would previously have said the amount of markings on the rump would rule out Coues. The pale rump area does seem to extend quite markedly up onto the back and the feathering is loose and fluffy, both features can be quite good for Coues Arctic. In the latter photos the bird has smallish bill and small beedy eye - again both good Arctic features - but these are subjective features and photos can be deceptive. The underparts are pale with no biscuit brown flanks as ground colour which Lessers usually possess (hence sort of ruling out that species), and the flank streaking is borderline for Mealy and Coues. It is fairly continuous and regulated (good for mealy), but not particularly bold and dark (good for Coues). I would go for mealy as the streaking extends low down. Can't see whether there are any undertail covert (UTC) lines, almost look absent on one photo but that is blatantly unclear in these photos. That frosty white wingbar is good for Arctic, but also ok for mealy.

I think it is mealy, but it is an interesting bird. I can't 'quite' rule out Coues. The overall paleness (whitish not just sandy-buff) of the mantle that is "apparent" on some photos interests me, but this may just be photographic effect.

This is just my humble opinion, I am no expert but have found studying them in detail this winter quite fascinating.

At first look a had a similar opinion to you of Coues'. However, I feel that there is nothing that can rule out Mealy from these pictures. I assume you are talking about the last set of photos put on?
In wich case i think the angle of the birds in some of the pics maks the bill look smaller. The large amount of streaking on the rump, and the lack of any unstreaked area indicates a mealy to me. I also think the flank streaking looks to heavy compared to pictures of 1st winter Coues' Arctic I have found giving me the impression of Mealy.

At first look a had a similar opinion to you of Coues'. However, I feel that there is nothing that can rule out Mealy from these pictures. I assume you are talking about the last set of photos put on?
In wich case i think the angle of the birds in some of the pics maks the bill look smaller. The large amount of streaking on the rump, and the lack of any unstreaked area indicates a mealy to me. I also think the flank streaking looks to heavy compared to pictures of 1st winter Coues' Arctic I have found giving me the impression of Mealy.

I think we came to the same conclusion, but nevertheless an interesting bird.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back