• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

islay Island (1 Viewer)

yves0071

France
Hello,
I may plan to visit Islay next summer (End July / Early August), with my family and scope. Is there a list of what is possible to see, theorically? I mean Birds (of course in additions to distilleries!B :)!!!! )

I am also interested to see puffins in UK, is there any good accessible spots at that time?
Thanks in advance
Yves

You should be able to see quite a lot at that time of the year, although it's maybe not as good in Islay as spring or autumn. However, Red-billed Choughs should be easy to find (e.g. at Ardnave or Machir Bay) and a wide range of raptors should be around (e.g. Golden and White-tailed Eagle, Hen Harriers, Peregrine, Merlin etc). Seabirds will mostly have left colonies (though there aren't any really large ones in Islay) but species such as Arctic and Common Tern (some Little Terns too), Guillemot, Razorbill, Black Guillemot, Fulmar, Kittiwake, Gannet etc should be easy to see around the coast. Seawatching, particularly early morning (e.g. first hour or two of daylight) should produce large numbers (1000s) of Manx Shearwaters. At that time of the year you may also see one or two European Storm Petrels and maybe Balearic Shearwaters. The best place is the headland called Rubha na Faing near Portnahaven (overlooking 'Frenchman's Rocks' you might like to know!). Puffins may be tricky but seawatching or the ferry could produce some. They don't normally breed around Islay though.

Wader passage will be starting and a good selection of species is likely to be around, especially at Loch Gruinart. Sometimes American species occur, but usually a bit later in the year. Other species that should be fairly easy to find that may be of interest are Twite, Lesser Redpoll, Raven, Hooded Crow, Red-throated Diver and Eider. If there are any species you're particularly keen to see then let me know and I'll give some additional details.

It's a good time of year for cetaceans, although the ferry is better than the island (look for Minke Whales near Gigha). Grey and Harbour Seals and Otters can also be seen as well as Roe, Red and Fallow Deer. There's plenty of wildlife around and the abundance and variety is very impressive.

This website has up to date sightings from Islay and a look back through the archives should give an idea of what might be seen at the time of year you're going:
http://islaybirds.blogspot.co.uk/

Last edited:
Thanks Andrew for your reply!
Would it be better to be there in Mid July or mid August according to your point of view? (I am also more interested by birds than cetaceans)
Regards
Yves

Thanks Andrew for your reply!
Would it be better to be there in Mid July or mid August according to your point of view? (I am also more interested by birds than cetaceans)
Regards
Yves

You will probably get slightly more breeding activity in July but mid-August is probably better for seeing a variety of species because more migration is likely to be happening. Waders should be going through in good numbers by then and variety and there's more chance of an interesting seabird. The only thing you might miss out on is calling Corncrake (hard to see in any case).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back