• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm trying to tempt the missus with Bill Oddie!!! (1 Viewer)

PaulAshton

I'm thinking of buying a video or DVD that I can use to tempt the missus into holidaying in remote wild places.

She has a growing love of wildlife after trips to view Opsreys Seals etc. and I'm looking for a way to tempt my 'urban princess' further afield with pictures of wild birds. Seeing what she likes the look of and then aiming the holiday location near to the admired birds. Hopefully for example expanding Scotland out and away from wee Edinburgh and up into the wider hills.

It's funny how a year or two ago her rebuke of "Why would I want to go to bl**dy Pembrokshire???" turned into the phrase "Oohh they have Puffins do they, we must go!!!".

In aid of the venture I've come up with the following videos. Has anyone watched them and can they give an opinion of which are worth buying???

BILL ODDIE'S VIDEO GUIDE TO BRITISH BIRDS

The DVD Video Guide to British Birds

THE RAPTORS OF BRITAIN & EUROPE
Doherty/Oddie

:eat:

Haven't watched any, but let me know if they work for you, then I can try them out on my other half - I have the same problem ;)

Bill Oddies Video guide to British Birds, we have this one, but I can't find it at present. If my memory serves me well there is a bit by Bill at the begining and then it launches into the iD's of footage of about 200+ birds with comments on certain diferences and calls etc. It does get a bit monotonous nearly 3 hours long, so don't try and watch it in one sitting. I must say I have watched it a few times and enjoyed it.

Can't help you on the others.
We do have another one called "The guide to Birdwatching" featuring Bill. It is a double video,
Video 1 is "Birdwatching essentials" which has items on Binoculars & Scopes, Bird Books, Fieldcraft, Local Patchs, Travel, Twitching,Sketching, Photography, Sea Watching, Ringing and Surveys. And "Digiscoping" featuring in Bills words "One of the UK's leading Digiscopers - Andy Bright ! (That name seems familiar). But Andy what possesed you to wear that top, it looks more like a dress the length of it.
Bill talks on quite a lot of the various subjects above and has experts with their views as well.

Video 2
Bird Identification

Tells you how to id Birds including plumages, topography and moult and a detailed guide to 78 of the commonest bird including calls.

At times the footage could be a bit better including Andy's which seemed to be shot at a strange angle.
But another Video that is quite entertaining.

Last edited:
Marmot said:
But Andy what possesed you to wear that top, it looks more like a dress the length of it.
At times the footage could be a bit better including Andy's which seemed to be shot at a strange angle.
But another Video that is quite entertaining.
Hmm, it's a few minutes of agony for me.... I've tried to erase it from memory.

If I remember, Paul did have some problems shooting that scene, with sunlight causing problems and various noisy planes flying over. Dodgy angle? Probably my height, especially with those high heels on ;)

I'd reccomend that double videoThe Guide to Birdwatching by Bill Oddie its a good video for anyine wanting to start birding

PaulAshton said:
In aid of the venture I've come up with the following videos. Has anyone watched them and can they give an opinion of which are worth buying???

BILL ODDIE'S VIDEO GUIDE TO BRITISH BIRDS

The DVD Video Guide to British Birds

THE RAPTORS OF BRITAIN & EUROPE
Doherty/Oddie

:eat:
I've got the Video Guide to British Birds. It's a complement to his book "Birds of Britain and Ireland" and, like that, is aimed more at beginners (like myself). I've found both very useful but I'm not sure the video would be one to tempt your wife to travel further afield.

I don't know if Bill's various TV series about birds and wildlife in general are available on vidoe/DVD, but from what I've seen of them they could well be more what you're talking about. They've certainly made me restless!

john barclay said:
PaulAshton said:
I'm thinking of buying a video or DVD that I can use to tempt the missus into holidaying in remote wild places.

Why don't you just go on your own?

JB.

I dunno - it looks like he's doing a good job of persuading her, and two pairs of eyes will see more than one!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back