• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Fair 2008 - Simon, Bill and David A.!!! (2 Viewers)

Fabulous report Penny

I enjoyed looking at your pictures a lot

Brings it all back here as there was so much to see and do. :t:

Recommended any day.

Kathy
x

Oh Penny, you've got it bad! Mind you, if I wasn't a happily married lady................ You're right, there is just something about him. Always smiling, genuine, kind to children, witty, knowledgable, hunky etc etc! Perhaps we could clone him!!

We went on the Friday and enjoyed the sunshine plus fab steel band, but were very, very disappointed to find that the field guide talk by Simon in the morning was already booked. Did enjoy the 'Audience With' slot though, but, boy, wasn't it hot in there? Had my photo taken with 'the man himself' and then went on the Rutland Belle trip with him in the evening. Alas, no sign of an Osprey whatsoever but plenty to look at instead ;) Maybe next year.

Didn't see the Nikon DVD freebie, darn it!

Glad you had a great time. Roll on next year................

Nice report, saved me the trip. I'd love to hate Simon King, but I have not heard a bad word said about him so good on you. I think you do have it real bad though, and I actually feel a tad concerned for his safety.
Look forward to your next photo report...

What a great write-up, Penny. I enjoyed reading that (and the King-stalking! ;) ) and you've got some nice photos.
Marcus, it would be impossible to hate Simon King, he really is a genuinely nice bloke.

Nice report, saved me the trip. I'd love to hate Simon King, but I have not heard a bad word said about him so good on you. I think you do have it real bad though, and I actually feel a tad concerned for his safety.
Look forward to your next photo report...

Hi Marcus

Thank you:t:

No I havn't got it that bad - I only jest, he is really, really nice though. I am no where NEARLY as bad as some!!!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Same here. Nice reporting Penny. Hope you didn't spend too much money.

Hi Joanne

I bought a Canon 100 2.8 USM Macro lens on the Friday and took the close up pictures of Simon with it on the Saturday!!!!!! So along with an Lesvos DVD from Malcolm Ryner (that was filmed this April), Roy Dennis's new osprey book, sale fleece from Country Innovations and other bits I did slightly overspend!!!!;)

Hi KC!!

Yes he does seem REALLY nice, but I don't like moustaches - doesn't do anything for me I am afraid!;)

Hi Penny

Well that is OH killed off in the moustache department LOL

I think my OH looks grandeur with his. It adds to the maturity ;)

Does Bill Oddie not have a moustache, if I remember right, or is it a beard?

Kathy
x

Many thanks for your involuntary endorsement of Africa Birds and Birding. It's a brilliant publication, and anybody contemplating a Southern African trip would do well to try and get hold of some.
I take it that you watched Mr King doing his 'Springwatch' thing in beautiful Scottish sunshine, while poor Bill and Kate got rained on in Norfolk?

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Hi Dave

Of course I watched Simon;););) Next year I think they should swop - can you imagine how even more popular Pensthorpe in Norfolk would be if Simon was there! - and of course he would need someone to show him round all the birding hotspots in Norfolk - I wonder who could do that...... o:D

Oh Penny, you've got it bad! Mind you, if I wasn't a happily married lady................ You're right, there is just something about him. Always smiling, genuine, kind to children, witty, knowledgable, hunky etc etc! Perhaps we could clone him!!

We went on the Friday and enjoyed the sunshine plus fab steel band, but were very, very disappointed to find that the field guide talk by Simon in the morning was already booked. Did enjoy the 'Audience With' slot though, but, boy, wasn't it hot in there? Had my photo taken with 'the man himself' and then went on the Rutland Belle trip with him in the evening. Alas, no sign of an Osprey whatsoever but plenty to look at instead ;) Maybe next year.

Didn't see the Nikon DVD freebie, darn it!

Glad you had a great time. Roll on next year................
Hi Amelia

Yes but I'm not married - I will wait in hope of being the 4th Mrs Simon King;););)

Being serious now - I thought the steel band were brilliant, they must have been struggling, as it was very hot. Yes I also discovered (my own fault did not look in the birdfair guide in the birdwatch mag. until the week before!) the field talk by Simon was actually booked up a month before!!!!! Next year I am going to stay for 3 days and will be much more on the ball with booking things!!! You must have been quick off the mark for the cruise - I am envious;) - yes roll on next year.

Last edited:
Hi Penny

Well that is OH killed off in the moustache department LOL

I think my OH looks grandeur with his. It adds to the maturity ;)

Does Bill Oddie not have a moustache, if I remember right, or is it a beard?

Kathy
x

Bill has a beard - see my photos on first page.

Lovely pics!

Just had a really enjoyable 10 mins looking at the pics from the fair. Its great for us exhibitors to see the other stands (and how busy they are/not!!). I know we all never get an opportunity to 'walk the show' as we're always so rushed off our feet. I think I had my first 'natural break' about 4pm on the Friday!!

Glad to hear everyone had such a good time, and thanks Penny for sharing your pics with us.

Maria - Country Innovation :t:

Just had a really enjoyable 10 mins looking at the pics from the fair. Its great for us exhibitors to see the other stands (and how busy they are/not!!). I know we all never get an opportunity to 'walk the show' as we're always so rushed off our feet. I think I had my first 'natural break' about 4pm on the Friday!!

Glad to hear everyone had such a good time, and thanks Penny for sharing your pics with us.

Maria - Country Innovation :t:

Hi Maria

Thank you for responding on here!!!

I actually whizzed round in the last hour on the Saturday and took the pictures of the stands, which is why some stands were not as busy as they maybe were earlier. Also I ran out of time and did not take any in the optics marquee, I got as far as Marquee 7 to take another one of Simon;) then it was about 5.40pm I think.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back