• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brunton Epoch 8x21 (1 Viewer)

winwinbino

Very interesting compact for their expansive FOV 392/1000. Seems only Docter compact could compare but with average optical performance.

Surely not a sensible buy at their listed price of nearly $1000, but actually most shops are selling them at $500 +/-.

Appreciate any input.

Very interesting compact for their expansive FOV 392/1000. Seems only Docter compact could compare but with average optical performance.

Surely not a sensible buy at their listed price of nearly $1000, but actually most shops are selling them at $500 +/-.

Appreciate any input.

I'm a fan of Brunton Epoch binos, especially the reformulated 10.5 x 43. I owned this glass for a time and like it a lot, but sold it because I found I just didn't use compacts that often. Optically, I believe it is overshadowed by the new crop of Zeiss Victory and Leica compacts but, to my eyes, it remains a competitor of the Swaro compacts, and a great buy at the right price. Brunton's warranty on the Epochs is bulletproof.

I'm a fan of Brunton Epoch binos, especially the reformulated 10.5 x 43. I owned this glass for a time and like it a lot, but sold it because I found I just didn't use compacts that often. Optically, I believe it is overshadowed by the new crop of Zeiss Victory and Leica compacts but, to my eyes, it remains a competitor of the Swaro compacts, and a great buy at the right price. Brunton's warranty on the Epochs is bulletproof.

Thanks. I once owned the 7.5x43 and liked them very much. The main interest in these 8x21 is their wide FOV. If they perform optically close to Leica UV compact is worth a look.

Appreciate any input.

The Brunton line of optics is not very popular and not much is found
on this site. The important thing to know, it is very hard to make a quality small pocket optic.

The only pockets I would consider over $400. would be those from
Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss or Nikon, in no particular order.

I would recommend to compare before you buy.

Jerry

The Brunton line of optics is not very popular and not much is found
on this site. The important thing to know, it is very hard to make a quality small pocket optic.

The only pockets I would consider over $400. would be those from
Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss or Nikon, in no particular order.

I would recommend to compare before you buy.

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry.

This is a variant of a Kamakura platform which is also offered by Kite Optics as the Collibri and by little ole Opticron under our DBA range:

http://www.opticronusa.com/Pages/dba_compact.htm

I'd tend to agree that Brunton's MSRP seems a little ambitious. The variable speed focus on this model is also an option from KK for some full size binos.

Cheers, Pete

Winwinb, so we see it's yet another skilled actor from Japan in more Noh masks. We can assume that in both 8x21 and 10x25 configs. the Bruntons are clones with the Opticrons. I have used the 10x25 Opticron and its optical quality though v. good is clearly not as good as the 10x25 Leica Ultravid. The comparison of the 8x21 vs the 8x20 Leica Uv. canot be v. different from that. Brunton 8x21 vs L. Uv. 8x20: price at Eagle Optics USD 640 vs 700, weight 50% more; the stated field of view is however, as you say, unusually wide, 7.5⁰, vs in this case 6.5⁰.

So does Brunton actually produce any of its own optics? Thinking of the extremely expensive full-sized Epochs.....which almost no one seems to rate at all.

So does Brunton actually produce any of its own optics? Thinking of the extremely expensive full-sized Epochs.....which almost no one seems to rate at all.

All Epochs are made in Japan, even the previously version of Eterna. Brunton do not have their own facilities. The listed prices are too aggressive but real street prices are much lower. There are 2 or 3 posts re full size Epoch. Users said it's a sensible buy at ~$600.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back