• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does the SF carrying case fit? (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
One or two folks have found this case troublesome to close once the bins are inside with eyecups extended, so today I tried this case out for myself to see what the difficulty is.

Well, the short answer is that with only a little care there is no difficulty and SFs do fit inside this case.

See the attached 2 pics.

The first one shows the bins inside the case with the rainguard in place and the eyecups extended and out of sight down below the objectives cover is in place.
The trick here is to fold the strap alongside the bins, not over the top and bottom and not round and around the sides, but folded vertically alongside. It can just be seen in the photo, and by the way it doesn't have to be folded super-neatly. The other thing is to make sure the soft flap at the top of the case opening is flat and not folded.
Once this is done you just hold the two halves of the case together with one hand (and you don't need superhuman force to do this) and the zip closes easily and it can be seen partly closed in photo two.

If you don't use the objectives covers, and I don't, this is a little easier.

Is it a bit different than just winding the strap around, any old way? Well I suppose it is a bit but really you just need to fold the strap once and push it alongside the bins: it really is no big deal.

Lee

Attachments

• IMG_1479_1.jpg
    IMG_1479_1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1480_1.jpg
    IMG_1480_1.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 175
Lee .... Do you now own a Zeiss SF 10X42?

My 10X42 SF fits in the supplied hard clam case, but I like the Zeiss FL soft case better. It is a little quicker getting it in and out of the soft case and it packs easier because it is not ridged. However, I think the clam case offers better protection.

Here are some pictures of the 10X42 SF in the supplied case and a FL soft case. No objective or eye covers are used. The strap is wrapped length wise between the barrels in the photo of the clam case. The other binocular is a Zeiss Terra 8X42. The yellow numbers are the Zeiss case product numbers.

The SF does fit in the supplied case, but a slightly larger case would make it a little easier when placing the binocular in the case, especially when using the covers and strap. I agree, it is not a big thing and sure would not impact my decision in purchasing the binocular.

Attachments

• IMG_2058_Resized.jpg
    IMG_2058_Resized.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2072_1 Resized.jpg
    IMG_2072_1 Resized.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 282
Lee .... Do you now own a Zeiss SF 10X42?

My 10X42 SF fits in the supplied hard clam case, but I like the Zeiss FL soft case better. It is a little quicker getting it in and out of the soft case and it packs easier because it is not ridged. However, I think the clam case offers better protection.

Here are some pictures of the 10X42 SF in the supplied case and a FL soft case. No objective or eye covers are used. The strap is wrapped length wise between the barrels in the photo of the clam case. The other binocular is a Zeiss Terra 8X42. The yellow numbers are the Zeiss case product numbers.

The SF does fit in the supplied case, but a slightly larger case would make it a little easier when placing the binocular in the case, especially when using the covers and strap. I agree, it is not a big thing and sure would not impact my decision in purchasing the binocular.

Hi Bruce

No I don't own one but I have access to one (and it really is well-balanced and easy to hold steady) and I was keen to find out if there really was a problem with the case.

I bigger case would make things a little easier but folks also grumble about the bulk of these clamshell cases. Even King Swaro takes flak about their cases in this regard, so I think Zeiss have chosen a compromise size and have probably got it about right.

I think you are right about the clamshell offering more protection, and personally I am pleased to see the Victory-class bins getting an upgrade in this area as I have always felt Zeiss's top line should have better accessories than Conquests.

BTW your SF and Terra ED make a nice pairing.

Lee

Hi Bruce

No I don't own one but I have access to one (and it really is well-balanced and easy to hold steady)........

I have been wondering if an SF will ultimately be replacing or joining your beloved HT 8X42. Your posts over the last year have been very helpful to me in making a decision on the SF.

I bigger case would make things a little easier but folks also grumble about the bulk of these clamshell cases. Even King Swaro takes flak about their cases in this regard ..........

That be me! First I am saying I like the soft FL case because it packs easier (because of it being soft and smaller), then I go and say that I wish the supplied case was larger. What is Zeiss and Swaro to do with people like me.

Going by memory (a risky thing to do), I recall the Swaro cases being bulkier than the SF case.

I think you are right about the clamshell offering more protection, ...........

In that case, it may be best for High North to stick with the clamshell case!

I am pleased to see the Victory-class bins getting an upgrade in this area as I have always felt Zeiss's top line should have better accessories than Conquests.

A class distinction among binocular cases. That must be an English thing.;)

BTW your SF and Terra ED make a nice pairing.

Lee

That be true ...... I like them both! Thanks.

The soft Zeiss FL case is my favorite binocular case. Even Dennis has said he likes it. Therefore I feel I am on safe ground to declare that the Zeiss FL binocular case is the Best Birding Binocular Case in the World!

Seems like you have not been posting as much recently, hope you are getting back in the groove as I've missed your comments and humor.

Seems like you have not been posting as much recently, hope you are getting back in the groove as I've missed your comments and humor.

Hi Bruce

I have been lucky enough to be down in the South of France for a month and have been giving my HTs and especially my Conquest 8x32 a hard time. The internet connection in rural France was not good and there was so much to see that Bird Forum was put on the back burner.

In addition I have been working on arranging a supply of bins for a couple of comparison tests that I have been planning and I thought I would give my Bird Forum pals a break from my patter for a while.

Thank you for your kind words and I expect to have more presence on the forum in the coming days and weeks during which I expect to be testing Terra 8x32, Conquest 8x32 and Swaro CL 8x30, then SF 8x42 and Swaro EL 8.5x42.

Lee

Lee .... Thanks for the update. Excuse me for a second while I go get some screen cleaner so I am ready for the upcoming posts! I am especially looking forward to hear what you have to say about the 8X42 SF. I have not seen a production version of that yet.

I have been wondering if an SF will ultimately be replacing or joining your beloved HT 8X42. Your posts over the last year have been very helpful to me in making a decision on the SF.

That be me! First I am saying I like the soft FL case because it packs easier (because of it being soft and smaller), then I go and say that I wish the supplied case was larger. What is Zeiss and Swaro to do with people like me.

Going by memory (a risky thing to do), I recall the Swaro cases being bulkier than the SF case.

In that case, it may be best for High North to stick with the clamshell case!

A class distinction among binocular cases. That must be an English thing.;)

That be true ...... I like them both! Thanks.

The soft Zeiss FL case is my favorite binocular case. Even Dennis has said he likes it. Therefore I feel I am on safe ground to declare that the Zeiss FL binocular case is the Best Birding Binocular Case in the World!

"The Zeiss FL binocular case is the Best Birding Binocular Case in the World!"

Agreed.

Hi Bruce

I have been lucky enough to be down in the South of France for a month and have been giving my HTs and especially my Conquest 8x32 a hard time. The internet connection in rural France was not good and there was so much to see that Bird Forum was put on the back burner.

In addition I have been working on arranging a supply of bins for a couple of comparison tests that I have been planning and I thought I would give my Bird Forum pals a break from my patter for a while.

Thank you for your kind words and I expect to have more presence on the forum in the coming days and weeks during which I expect to be testing Terra 8x32, Conquest 8x32 and Swaro CL 8x30, then SF 8x42 and Swaro EL 8.5x42.

Lee
Looking forward to your comparison of the Zeiss 8x42 SF and the Swarovski 8.5x42.

The case could have been bether but works almost 85% ok . I have used the soft case for the victory earlier but wasnt happy with that one either

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Magnetic Strap Fastener

One or two folks have wondered what the magnetic strap fastener is really for, when the case has a stout zip closure. It appeared to be superfluous to requirements and just got in the way of the zip.

A quick glance at the back of the case reveals a broad belt-loop. Instead of carrying the bins around your neck, you can have the case on your belt and slip your SFs in and out of it, making the bins safe inside with the mag-strap. Only a quick flick of your fingers is required to release the strap and quick-draw your SFs.

Lee

Lee .... Thanks for the update. Excuse me for a second while I go get some screen cleaner so I am ready for the upcoming posts! I am especially looking forward to hear what you have to say about the 8X42 SF. I have not seen a production version of that yet.

Looking forward to your comparison of the Zeiss 8x42 SF and the Swarovski 8.5x42.

Thanks gents. Don't be in too much of a hurry with the screen cleaner Bruce as it will be some weeks before the test results get posted. As usual I will concentrate on how the bins perform during birding and normal viewing.

Lee

Bruce

Trust you to, gently, put your finger on the most subtle question of all: HT or SF?

Although the Z vs Sw review is my main focus I think I will inevitably make comparisons with HT, this having been my main observation instrument for a couple of years now.

I'll be sure to let you know how this pans out.

Lee

I hate to interrupt this love fest, but I just can't believe there are clams SO BIG that they can put fabric around the shell and attach a fastener and use it as a case for binoculars! The clams were probably irradiated near the Marshall Islands or the Bikini Atoll and became freakishly large.

It Came from Beneath the Sea

They must really scrub them to get the fishy smell out. I don't like slimy raw clams (only cooked for when I make spaghetti and clam sauce), so I doubt if I'd like a clam shell case.

I do like the Zeiss Cordura cases for their toughness and durability, and they don't smell of fish (though the Terra's case has a faint aroma of General Tso's chicken). It's a practical case that you can take into the field with you rather than just using it to store the bins in the house. It also shows that not everything made in China is crap (just most stuff).

<B>

Last edited:
Bruce

Trust you to, gently, put your finger on the most subtle question of all: HT or SF?

Although the Z vs Sw review is my main focus I think I will inevitably make comparisons with HT, this having been my main observation instrument for a couple of years now.

I'll be sure to let you know how this pans out.

Lee

Yes, I'm very interested in your opinion of the SF vs. HT.

I have no plans to upgrade but do wonder if Zeiss has managed to keep that incredibly dynamic and vivid image of the HT with the new SF.

James ..... Welcome to the Love Fest!

Actually, I was hoping you would get a hold of an SF and do some comparisons. You and Lee are probably as knowledgeable on the 8X42 HT as any member on the Forum so it would be informative to hear from both of you. I noticed the SF is starting to show as in stock for some of the online vendors so units should start showing up on store shelves soon.

Yes, I'm very interested in your opinion of the SF vs. HT.

I have no plans to upgrade but do wonder if Zeiss has managed to keep that incredibly dynamic and vivid image of the HT with the new SF.

The more I use HT the more I respect its view and I think SF will have a tough time equalling some aspects.

Looking forward to reporting on it sometime in the next 4-5 weeks.

Lee

I hate to interrupt this love fest, but I just can't believe there are clams SO BIG that they can put fabric around the shell and attach a fastener and use it as a case for binoculars!

<B>

Hi Brockadoodle

You would be surprised how big clams grow. The hood on a Range Rover (we call it a bonnet over here) is called a clamshell too, so finding weeny ones to stick bins in must be easy-peasy.

I'm not sure about the fishy smell business though. Fish smell fishy, naturally, especially after a day or two, but although I have never knowingly sniffed a clam I have smelled many a scallop and I would imagine they have a similar odour. To me these smell of the sea and not 'fishy' at all.

Unfortunately the SF clamshell doesn't smell of the sea but of synthetic fabrics and glues.

Perhaps someone with a sensitive snout could start a thread entitled Field Case Aromas on the lines of tea or wine-tasting: we might learn that Leica cases have a hint of autumn truffles, Zeiss the fresh zing of lemons and Swarovski a smouldering undertone of old leather shorts........:eek!:

Or not :king:

Lee

One point I haven't made is that the clamshell case is designed to be more functional than the black cases, in that it caters more for people who want to use it out in the field.

This is not something I do, but the case is designed to the minimum dimensions and a smooth streamlined shape so it is more useable on a belt and under a jacket. If you use it on a belt and slip it in the case, using the magnetic strap, you don't need the bins' own neck-strap for example.

Lee

Hi Brockadoodle

You would be surprised how big clams grow. The hood on a Range Rover (we call it a bonnet over here) is called a clamshell too, so finding weeny ones to stick bins in must be easy-peasy.

I'm not sure about the fishy smell business though. Fish smell fishy, naturally, especially after a day or two, but although I have never knowingly sniffed a clam I have smelled many a scallop and I would imagine they have a similar odour. To me these smell of the sea and not 'fishy' at all.

Unfortunately the SF clamshell doesn't smell of the sea but of synthetic fabrics and glues.

Perhaps someone with a sensitive snout could start a thread entitled Field Case Aromas on the lines of tea or wine-tasting: we might learn that Leica cases have a hint of autumn truffles, Zeiss the fresh zing of lemons and Swarovski a smouldering undertone of old leather shorts........:eek!:

Or not :king:

Lee

So you own a Land Rover. eh? My publisher has one. I told him, I hope you're enjoying those new 20" Michelin Latitude Sport tires and mag wheels you bought with my pay cut.

I'm surprised you can wear the clam shell case on your belt. The only clam shell case I've used is the one that somebody gave Steve (mooreorless). The guy writes one line every now and then and people send him boxes full of free stuff. Go figure! ;)

Can't remember which company made it but it was way too large for the bin he had in it. It was like a little suitcase, definitely not made for wearing on the belt unless your belt is made of 3-strand braided rope. It did provide good protection for the bins, better than a soft case. I think he gave it away.

The old Swarosvki plastic zip bags smelled like shaving cream, I think they were originally designed to hold your shaving kit.

I miss the hard leather case that came with my now *SOLD* 804 Audubon. As the saying goes: They don't make 'em like that anymore. Not field worthy, but a beauty to behold and excellent protection for the bins.

<B>

Attachments

• Swift 804 MC Audubon and case 003.jpg
    Swift 804 MC Audubon and case 003.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 37
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back