• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Keay's Blood-breasted Pigeon (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s some small, minor additions (or simply details) on:

● the Critically Endangered Negros Bleeding-heart Gallicolumba keayi CLARKE 1900 (OD here and Plate here) a k a "Negros Bleeding-heart Pigeon" or "Keay's Blood-breasted Pigeon" (in the same text)
NOTWITHSTANDING the extremely unsettled state of affairs in the Philippine Archipelago, my friend Mr. W. A. Keay returned to his sugar-plantation on the east coast of the island of Negros in February 1899, and remained there for several months, as he has done for the past twenty years. During this sojourn, in spite of many distracting influences, Mr. Keay obtained a considerable number of birds, … […]

86. Phlogœnas keayi, sp, nov. … […]

It is somewhat remarkable that this species should have remained so long undetected, for Mr. Keay tells me that he has known it for nearly twenty years, and has on several occasions kept examples in cages as pets. He was not a little surprised when I assured him that the species was new. … It gives me great pleasure to name this beautiful Pigeon after Mr. Keay, as a small recognition of the services he has rendered to Philippine ornithology.
The references in the same article; "For previous papers on this subject see Ibis 1994, pp.531-535 [here]; 1895, pp. 472-479 [here]; and 1898, pp. 119-124 [here]."

= the fairly unknown Mr. William A. Keay British resident, ornithologist and Field collector, who owned (the first and at that time only) Sugar Plantation farm, at San Carlos (City), on the East Coast of the Island Negros, in the Philippines. He was there from at least the early 1880's until 1899.

That´s all I can find. No dates, no years, neither of his birth nor his death.

Anyone know?
---

It is likely that he came up with an improved sugar mill since that was his business and the dates are similar.

Ok, Mark, now I´m with you again … ("likely" sure isn´t the same as "is" ;) )

However, that´s as far as I will go in this thread. I´ve got what I need. In my MS he has no entry on his own, nor does "his" Pigeon, they´re both simply mentioned in context.

Anyone tracing William A. Keay further: Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back