• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Broadwing vs. Viper (pix) (1 Viewer)

PinarellO

The Viper is smaller and lighter ( the one in the middle). Both are a touch
brighter than my Swaro 10x50's. The Vipers were a hundred dollars more than
the Broadwings. (Street price)

One of the best ways to describe these is, take a Pentax DCF SP and add a
immediately noticeable wider and flatter field of view, which is very comparable to my swaros.

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

1.) How do the Broadwings compare to the Viper?

2.) Are you saying the Broadwing and Viper are superior to the Pentax DCF SP?

I have been thinking about ordering the Broadwing but have seen the 10x43 Pentax DCF SP selling for $409.

The Viper is smaller and lighter ( the one in the middle). Both are a touch
brighter than my Swaro 10x50's.

I am in no way attempting to doubt your experience but it seems to run somewhat contradictory to my own. Let me preface this by saying I have never owned the Viper or Broadwing but you are comparing two 8x42s to a 10x50 and a high end 10x50 at that. The 10x50 Swaro SLC has always been regarded as one of the brightest binoculars on the market (any configuration). To say that two mid-low priced 8x42 models are brighter than it has me genuinely curious.

FrankD said:
I am in no way attempting to doubt your experience but it seems to run somewhat contradictory to my own. Let me preface this by saying I have never owned the Viper or Broadwing but you are comparing two 8x42s to a 10x50 and a high end 10x50 at that. The 10x50 Swaro SLC has always been regarded as one of the brightest binoculars on the market (any configuration). To say that two mid-low priced 8x42 models are brighter than it has me genuinely curious.

Its ok Frank you can doubt my experience. I claim nothing but to be an
amateur birder. I can however tell you that yes, my 37 year old eyes with
20/20 vision, the Vipers and Broadwings are a touch brighter. However that’s
only a comparison I can make with what I have on hand. I know my Swaros
are or used to be one of the brightest 10’s you can buy but I always thought
most high-end 7/8x42’s were brighter anyway.

The difference I can tell between the Broadwings and Vipers is:

Vipers:

Smaller, Lighter, better twist out eyecups, smooth focuser, nice focuser grip.

Broadwings:

Smooth focuser, wider field of view. Impressive specs on paper but not a
huge difference compared to Vipers. Very noticeable, wider field of view
compared to DCF SP’s. Pentax has nice optics but after using Swarovski’s
and now both these Vortex binos you really realize how narrow the field of
view is on the Pentax SP’s.

Also, the only thing High End about the Swarovsk’s is the price. This,
especially after I spent 20 minutes with the Vortex top of the line DLS
8x42’s. They will be my next bino!

Keep in mind this is an American company making an American profit. If these
Vortex binos were coming from Europe they would be close to double in price.

Then you see every one would be calling them high end, which is too bad.

Thank you for the reply Scotty. As I am sure I mentioned before I have a pair of the Vortex Razors so I am somewhat familiar with the image quality of their binoculars. After your comments though I believe I am going to have to try to get a hold of both the Vipers and the Sidewinders to see how they compare to my own selection of bins. I was hoping to wait until the new Furys come out before trying another Vortex but you may have just changed my mind.

I have owned a pair of the SPs though it was the 8x32 model. I thought the SPs offered very good optics for the price. However, you are correct, the full sized models do lack a nice wide field of view. In that regard both of the models you mentioned do offer a better alternative. It is in the other qualities of the view that I am interested and which will prompt me to investigate them further.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Last edited:
FrankD said:
Thank you for the reply Scotty. As I am sure I mentioned before I have a pair of the Vortex Razors so I am somewhat familiar with the image quality of their binoculars. After your comments though I believe I am going to have to try to get a hold of both the Vipers and the Sidewinders to see how they compare to my own selection of bins. I was hoping to wait until the new Furys come out before trying another Vortex but you may have just changed my mind.

I have owned a pair of the SPs though it was the 8x32 model. I thought the SPs offered very good optics for the price. However, you are correct, the full sized models due lack a nice wide field of view. In that regard both of the models you mentioned do offer a better alternative. It is in the other qualities of the view that I am interested and which will prompt me to investigate them further.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

I too, am waiting for the Fury's to come out. This is why I haven't bought the
DLS's just yet. I want to compare them both side-by-side first at my local
Audubon shop when they get them in even though I know I’ll end up the
DLS’s. The Vipers are for my wife, the Broadwings are for my Father for his b-
day next month. I am willing to go to the top of the line with Vortex for me.
Also, some might be mis-reading my post.
No-way am I writing about one better or superior than the other of any
Swaros I own or what I had a chance to compared them to last weekend.

Bottom line on the mid-range Vortex is the impressive field of view and their
brightness, detail, clarity for the money. You have to decide for yourself if
comparable optics like the SP's are better for you and you’re willing to give up
the impressive field of view with the Vortex. I definitely right now would go
out birding or hawk watching with my wife’s Viper's over my Swaros' and I
actually did yesterday.

All of us have read many reviews about mid-range binos catching up with the
big boy European ones with the newer coatings and phase correction on sub
$1000 binos. The brightness and detail on these Vipers and Broadwings
compared to my 7 year old SLC’s is proof of that!!!!!!

Also just a note: When I looked through the Vortex DLS 8x42's at the
vendors booth there was something special about them. Vortex talks about
better coatings and their XP glass in their higher end binos. It was as almost
as if I was looking through Zeiss Fluorite’s with a touch narrower field of view
that's all I noticed!

So...$799 or another $1000 on top for the Zeiss? It really is the $1000 question.

Last edited:
All of us have read many reviews about mid-range binos catching up with the
big boy European ones with the newer coatings and phase correction on sub
$1000 binos. The brightness and detail on these Vipers and Broadwings
compared to my 7 year old SLC’s is proof of that!!!!!!

Also just a note: When I looked through the Vortex DLS 8x42's at the
vendors booth there was something special about them. Vortex talks about
better coatings and their XP glass in their higher end binos. It was as almost
as if I was looking through Zeiss Fluorite’s with a touch narrower field of view
that's all I noticed!

So...$799 or another $1000 on top for the Zeiss? It really is the $1000 question.

Now you are starting to sound like my comments on the Razors. ;) Speaking of which, did you happen to read it? I believe it is now on the second page of the main binocular forum. My experiences tend to mirror yours, at least with regard to the Razors. The only negative I have with mine in terms of either image quality or build (in comparison to the highest priced Euro models) is there is a bit more field curvature. Other than that, two big thumbs up. I have not yet looked through the DLS yet but hope to get my hands on a pair eventually.

FrankD said:
Now you are starting to sound like my comments on the Razors. ;) Speaking of which, did you happen to read it? I believe it is now on the second page of the main binocular forum. My experiences tend to mirror yours, at least with regard to the Razors. The only negative I have with mine in terms of either image quality or build (in comparison to the highest priced Euro models) is there is a bit more field curvature. Other than that, two big thumbs up. I have not yet looked through the DLS yet but hope to get my hands on a pair eventually.

optic4birding review on the DLS said they had the best "flat field"
performance they have seen yet. That was very apparent with what I saw
spending what little time I did with them.

optic4birding review on the DLS said they had the best "flat field"
performance they have seen yet. That was very apparent with what I saw
spending what little time I did with them.

My guess would be two different designs just looking at each binocular and their respective specifications.

I wonder by what tests under low light did these 8x42 binoculars beat out this Swarovski 10x50 SLC? This really has me wondering.
Steve

FrankD said:

I am doubtful too... I am pretty sure Vortex makes some fine binoculars. But the hype and many all out nice comments with FULL FORCE make me wonder how reliable those comments are... Anyway, I will just have to check them out myself.

BTW, does anyone know where Viper and Broadwing were imported from? China or Japan?

Last edited:
falcondude said:
I am doubtful too... I am pretty sure Vortex makes some fine binoculars. But the hype and many all out nice comments with FULL FORCE make me wonder how reliable those comments are... Anyway, I will just have to check them out myself.

BTW, does anyone know where Viper and Broadwing were imported from? China or Japan?

I believe the Vipers are made in Japan while the Broadwings are Chinese in origin. I haven't seen anything "official" to confirm this other than comments on the various web forums.

I look forward to checking out the entire Vortex lineup. Even if they don't live up to expectations it is nice to be acquainted not only with what is out there but its strengths and weaknesses as well.

Hi Frank,Thanks for your information on this as well as Scotty posting pictures and his thoughts on the Viper and Broadwing.I hope I don't seem too critical with my posts on this and I don't want to seem that way,afterall I don't have a Swarovski SLC 10x50 at hand as well as the others to look through.Looking at Scotty's very nice pictures,if you gave me a choice as to what binoculars to use all day and I would have to give back,I would pick the Viper or Broadwing.If you would be giving me the binocular I think you know the answer.The 10x50 looks huge next to the others.:)
Regards,Steve

Last edited:
I wonder by what tests under low light did these 8x42 binoculars beat out this Swarovski 10x50 SLC? This really has me wondering.
Steve

After having owned the 8x42 Vipers now for several weeks I can verify that they are significantly brighter than one would expect. They are noticeably brighter than my Razors and I would have put the Razors on par with or slightly above the Leica Trinovids in terms of brightness. I do not have an answer as to why this is the case except possibly fewer lenses/elements in the Vipers optical design coupled with higher quality coatings and their XD/ED style glass.

Great little glass that Viper is.

falcondude said:

You can be doubtful all you want and I am not the type of person to make
hype about anything but my wife’s Vipers are brighter than my 10x50 SLC's
which is a claim I stand behind. Also; (and this is not hype because I have
seen it for myself) that the top of the line Vortex/Stokes 8x42 DLS binos are
the closest in brightness to Zeiss FL's at 1/3 le$$.

As a devout Swarovski owner for the last 11 years and probably they're still
tops in overall glass technology for now, I will tell anyone to only spend the
extra money now on Swarovski if you have to have the name....I applaud an
American company like Vortex coming out with binos with their brightness and
wide field of views at the sub thousand level, specifically the Viper and DLS
lines.

Last edited:
APS,

I have yet to test them in that regard but will do so tomorrow. I did not think of flare up to this point so that might say something unto itself. More tomorrow as time permits.

Last edited:
In the bottom picture, I would prefer the Stokes eye cups to the Vortex on the left. They look like the Zeiss type straight cups, no lip. Not the most comfortable.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back