• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Israel "lite" - 19 - 25.3.07 (1 Viewer)

MSA

I may be relaxed but I'm not drunk....
Just back from a holiday in Eilat, with some low-key birding thrown in.

Highlights were Nubian Nightjar, Arabian Warbler and Cyprus Warbler; other treats included displaying MacQueen's Bustard, male Pallid Harrier, Rock Thrush and close views of lots of the usual bits and bods, many photographed (although I still have the pleasure of going through all the memory cards and seeing if any have come out OK!).

The idea behind the holiday was to have a break with my wife in a place where I could bird in the early am. Our holiday coincided with the Bird Festival, and the most straightforward way to do what we wanted (and no more expensive than to book direct) was to go with Wildwings. This meant I was also able to go on a couple of trips with them. It was also nice to meet up and chat with experts such as Dick Forsman (raptors) and Klaus Olsen (gull expert) – I first bumped in to Klaus on North Beach and started talking about the various races/species of gull on show, and we were soon surrounded by quite a crowd, which struck me as a little odd, until someone quietly told me who he was, and explained they were all there for a (paid for) ID workshop!

Although I did not hire a car, I managed to get chatting with people who did, so I was able to wangle a few lifts.

Being my only experience of an organised tour (although this was more of a gathering of birders with a few optional trips every day, with lectures in the hotel in the evenings) I must say the quality and knowledge of the guides was excellent, but as the day trips had to cater for all, and were time-restricted, I did feel rather frustrated at times. If I ever went to Israel again in similar circumstances, I would definitely hire a car and pick the brains of the locals for info. If the circumstances were different and I was just there for the birding, I would stay at Kibbutz Lotan rather than Eilat – cheaper and more central for the various sites. Having said that, the Nubian Nightjar was in a restricted area, so a formal trip was the only realistic option; a further trip I found out about after the event, to see Hume’s Tawny Owl, would also have been a necessity as having seen where the area was in daylight, I would not contemplate trying to find my own way there in a hire car in the dark!

All in all, I was very pleased with the trip. The accommodation was excellent (“nicest room I’ve ever stayed in” from my wife was an encouraging comment). However, migration was very slow, and the unusual (poor) weather was the main factor – the lack of sunshine for over half our stay had the added negative of making the holiday far less appealing for my wife. To compensate, I agreed to spend the last whole day with her, at her pace – whilst the Dolphin Reef was interesting, Dunn’s Lark, White-cheeked Tern and Saunders Tern (or is this still a subspecies?) would have been slightly more so (to me at least!). Birding was definitely improving just as we were leaving, and on the last day there was a Blyth’s Reed Warbler (5th for Israel) ringed at Yotvata, plus several Egyptian Nightjar flushed by the ringer – who just happened to be the guy who drove us to the airport, to rub it in.

The worst part of the whole holiday was saved for the airport on the way home. Having chosen Ovda as more convenient than Tel Aviv (another plus point of an organised tour) and been very pleased with the quick and easy transit through Customs on arrival, I really should have known better. We arrived a full three hours before take-off, and were still queueing to have our bags checked an hour after take-off! The flight was delayed, of course, and finally left almost three hours late. The bag checks were carried out in front of the queue, in full view, so we were able to watch the (lack of) progress of the three teenage staff allotted to check the bags for the two flights that afternoon. The record for checking one person was a staggering one hour!! All three staff were involved; one would question him, then another, they would move away and compare notes, disappear into a back room, then reappear a few minutes later and start all over again. Lorraine and I were about the quickest, at just 5 minutes.

I’ll post up a full report as time permits, and a few pics if they come out.

Israel pics

Just a few, as they speak a thousand words, apparently, and I ain't got time to write a thousand words at the moment!

Attachments

• Ar Babbler for BF.JPG
    Ar Babbler for BF.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 164
  • BH Wag for BF.JPG
    BH Wag for BF.JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Bluethroat for BF.JPG
    Bluethroat for BF.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 158
  • BW Stilt for BF.JPG
    BW Stilt for BF.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 141
  • Crested crop BF.JPG
    Crested crop BF.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 165
a few more pics

...last for now

Attachments

• desert Lark for BF.JPG
    desert Lark for BF.JPG
    256.3 KB · Views: 164
  • GSE crop BF.JPG
    GSE crop BF.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 160
  • Rock Thrush crop for BF.JPG
    Rock Thrush crop for BF.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 153
  • RRSwallow crop for BF.JPG
    RRSwallow crop for BF.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 143
  • Steppe Buzz crop for BF.JPG
    Steppe Buzz crop for BF.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 159
Mark, I have just picked up your thread and there are some fine photo's in there. The weather condition were unusual for Eilat by the sound of it.

Would you go back????

John.

Bubbs said:
Mark, I have just picked up your thread and there are some fine photo's in there. The weather condition were unusual for Eilat by the sound of it.

Would you go back????

John.

John, I'd go back tomorrow if I had the opportunity! It would, however, be on my own or with other birders, not with my wife.

If you're looking for a birding destination a little more adventurous than the Med, but with reasonably "familiar" birds/families, I reckon Israel is perfect - most people speak English and are friendly (ignore the guns!) and the roads are almost empty as soon as you leave the towns. Accommodation and food is reasonably-priced. The weather is also good - usually!

"Just back from a holiday in Eilat, with some low-key birding thrown in."

Hello...
May I please enquire as to the camera and lens which you used for the bird pictures. They are very nice pictures. I do not know the name of these birds but was most impressed with them. I would love to photograph in Israel!
Sounds like a great place to shoot.

Thank you...
Cheryle

chayelle said:
"Just back from a holiday in Eilat, with some low-key birding thrown in."

Hello...
May I please enquire as to the camera and lens which you used for the bird pictures. They are very nice pictures. I do not know the name of these birds but was most impressed with them. I would love to photograph in Israel!
Sounds like a great place to shoot.

Thank you...
Cheryle

Thanks, Cheryle!

I use a Canon EOS300D with a 400mm f5.6 EF L lens. The camera is secondhand but seems to work well; the lens is new (bought when I started taking digital pics about 6 months ago).

Israel was certainly a good place to take pics - there seemed to be birds to photograph whenever I went out for a walk, whereas in the UK on similar walks the camera rarely gets used.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back