• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coast to coast (1 Viewer)

Marcus Conway - ebirder

In less than 10 weeks I am walking across the breadth of England. I am slighlty apprehensive and could do with some tips, advice and support!

Firstly thank you to all Bf members who have sponsored me - it's not too late for anyone lese who wished to get involved please click on http://www.justgiving.com/thelegend. Thanks!

Secondly advice on everything involved, bearing in mind I would be walking c20 miles per day in the height of (the English) summer;

So things such as;

Clothes
Shoes
Socks
Jacket
Tent
Sleeping bag
Rucksack
Backpack
Maps
Camera

I do have some of these already ut any help would be most appreciated!
Thanks all.

Marcus

You don't seem to have a compass on your list Marcus.
Also are your boots/shoes new or well worn? If new start wearing them now to get them broken in.
A couple of ski poles would be a real benefit, you can ease your walking with them, they take some of the weight from your knees. They are especially useful on descents, really save your knees then.
Best of luck with the weather...not too hot, not too wet is what you want.

You don't seem to have a compass on your list Marcus.
Also are your boots/shoes new or well worn? If new start wearing them now to get them broken in.
A couple of ski poles would be a real benefit, you can ease your walking with them, they take some of the weight from your knees. They are especially useful on descents, really save your knees then.
Best of luck with the weather...not too hot, not too wet is what you want.

Thanks Keith. I have been walking 10-30 miles each weekend in my shoes they are a hybrid trainer/climbing shoe but am open to some suggestions as I stilll have time to break some if if there are any welterwieght sugggestions.

Poles? Really? Thought they were a bit of a 'fashion' accessory, but that's exactly the sort of useful tip I need.

Cool, cheers.

I too thought poles a 'dude' thing, but tried a friends poles once, they really make a difference when coming downhill. Plus it is easier to get across streams etc using the poles to find the shallower bits, rather than your feet.LOL

I thought I would update each on some recommendations, I've tried and tested so many different items (5 pairs of shoes for example). If anyone wishes to sponsor me it is still no too late!!

Footwear;
I went full circle here and to be honest you really get what you pay for. I have tried a pair of Karrimors, Berghaus, Saloman and have finally settled for a pair of Meindl Burma Pro. They are truely outstanding in comfort, waterproofing and weight. I have spoken with a number of professionals and these seem to be the boots of choice.

Socks;
Here I'm looking for wicking (removing moisture from the foot), and comfort. The best I've found a those labelled 'coolmax' which cover various brands. You can get some with additional features that support the arch of the foot and cushion the sole. These are my favourite and are called coolmax technical.

Trousers;
I have a whole array and they are all reliable. I have tried and will stick with Craghopper, Karrimor, Noth Face, Ice Peak, Sprayway. The best for weight, pockets (important for me!), and most importantly speed at which they dry are the Karrimor

Knife;
Gone for a design classic the OPINEL Lock Knife.

Jacket;
I have decided on two here. A Helly Hansen 'mac in a pac', This is very small, very light and functionally folds into one of its own pockets. The piece de resistance the strap then wraps around and forms an elasticated belt, which is handy as a belt and also means the jacket can be taken to the pub easily and never forgotten! I have noticed some slight damp on my on my neck during prolonged wear (four hours +).
For more torrential persistant (planned rain) I have gone for the ever reliabloe Berghaus mera peak. It offers everything, and their tagline says it all 'trust is earned'. Would recommend highly, and I was the driest out of our pilot party in competition with North Face, Mountain Equiptment, Peter Storm and Karrimor.

Fleece;
Tried a few impressed with all especially Berghaus. Least impressed with Timberland.

Will add more about tent, torch, cooking equiptment, binoculars (I have a flashy new pair!!), insect repellant, sun lotion (yeah right!) once I have road tested further

Hi Marcus

sponsoring you - the site is very slow tonight though

good luck with it... as for preparations, well, take as little as you can get away with

and find out if there are any decent pubs en route.

Might be fun doing a couple of legs at night and sleeping in the day though?

anyone else up for a few quid?

Tim

Hi Marcus

sponsoring you - the site is very slow tonight though

good luck with it... as for preparations, well, take as little as you can get away with

and find out if there are any decent pubs en route.

Might be fun doing a couple of legs at night and sleeping in the day though?

anyone else up for a few quid?

Tim

Thanks Tim, we have done some research on the boozers and can't wait to get bozeyed for thriteen nights running, will merrily report back on what I can remember. Quite a few BF'ers and some of the Rodley massive have already dug deep. Many thanks for all the generosity shown :t:

(It's running slow, but it is running)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back