• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

16x and steady views. Sig Zulu6 16x42 (1 Viewer)

Dennis could you tell us what are some of the negative attributes you’ve encountered with them? How is the CA, edge fall off, glare , panning comfort , brightness and/or lack thereof with the 2.6 exit pupal? 🙏🏼
He won't. Not before he sold them.

And I'd actually prefer to read a couple of thorough reviews on these bins from well-known, reputable members of this forum anyway.

Hermann

Glare is better than the NL 8x32 I had, CA is also better especially on the edge, they are as sharp as an NL on the edge, the panning is surprisingly good for a 16x binocular with IS, and for daytime use even into the evening they are surprisingly bright.

Eye placement is also very comfortable. With an IS binocular, the IS helps keeps the EP centered over your retina, so an IS binocular with an EP of only 2.6 mm is more comfortable than a regular 8x42 binocular with a 5 mm EP. Here is a little story you might not want to hear.
Ok you got me, Ill give you $650 for the Sigs. Please pack them real good.
All you Swarovski fan boys like Paultricounty probably won't like to hear this, but there were a group of people observing the wolf when a fellow from North Carolina that had an NL asked me to look through my Sigs. The minute he put them to his eyes he exclaimed "WOW" these are way better than my Swaros! I can actually see the wolf instead of just a black blob! He then said, I am going to sell these Swaros as soon as I get home and get a pair of those Sigs.
As usuall your not grasping what people post. Its kind of what happened to my 93 year old mom near her end, you hear what you want, not whats said. Im a Lieca fanboy, your are the Swarovski fanboy, remember you wrote the Swaro 8x32NL is the best birding binocular in the world. Besides , I don't think the guy said that, heck i don't even think there was a guy. :LOL:

Glare is better than the NL 8x32 I had, CA is also better especially on the edge, they are as sharp as an NL on the edge, the panning is surprisingly good for a 16x binocular with IS, and for daytime use even into the evening they are surprisingly bright.

Eye placement is also very comfortable. With an IS binocular, the IS helps keeps the EP centered over your retina, so an IS binocular with an EP of only 2.6 mm is more comfortable than a regular 8x42 binocular with a 5 mm EP. Here is a little story you might not want to hear.

All you Swarovski fan boys like Paultricounty probably won't like to hear this, but there were a group of people observing the wolf when a fellow from North Carolina that had an NL asked me to look through my Sigs. The minute he put them to his eyes he exclaimed "WOW" these are way better than my Swaros! I can actually see the wolf instead of just a black blob! He then said, I am going to sell these Swaros as soon as I get home and get a pair of those Sigs.
But to be serious Dennis, what are the true flaws of these binoculars that you could share with us, if your able to see any considering your failing eyesight.

In comparision with the Canon 15x50 IS how is this 16x42??
Much better. The Sig controls CA better, it has better contrast, the edges are sharper. the IS works better, it has much better adjustable comfortable eye cups and it is WAY lighter and smaller. The eye cups on the Canon 15x50 IS are terrible. The Canon 15x50 IS weighs 42 oz., whereas, the SIG Sauer Zulu 6 16x42 weighs 20 oz. or less than 1/2 the weight. The Canon 15x50 IS is a huge brick. The Sig is also less expensive.

Much better. The Sig controls CA better, it has better contrast, the edges are sharper. the IS works better, it has much better adjustable comfortable eye cups and it is WAY lighter and smaller. The eye cups on the Canon 15x50 IS are terrible. The Canon 15x50 IS weighs 42 oz., whereas, the SIG Sauer Zulu 6 16x42 weighs 20 oz. or less than 1/2 the weight. The Canon 15x50 IS is a huge brick. The Sig is also less expensive.
I would like to know how the kite apc 16x42 compares to the Sig relative to CA control. I have had the former and sold it because of that. I did like everything else, but the CA was far beyond my threshold. If they make an ED version it should be a winner.

I would like to know how the kite apc 16x42 compares to the Sig relative to CA control. I have had the former and sold it because of that. I did like everything else, but the CA was far beyond my threshold. If they make an ED version it should be a winner.
That is one of the big advantages of the Sig Sauer Zulu 6 16x42. It has ED glass and Kite does not. I had the Kite APC 16x42 and I didn't like the CA either. High magnification binoculars tend to have more CA, so you need ED glass to control it. The Sig has almost no CA in the center or on the edge, and it is also sharp to the edge, making it superior to the Kite or the Canons. The Sig is also lighter and smaller than the Kite because it only needs one battery, but the Kite has several batteries for reserves.

I tried a kite and was surprised by how good the stability was, however a quick look through a Canon firmly put the kite back in its box, not that it was bad, the Canons edged it optically. I would like to try the Sigg but the price is very off putting, one could pick up the Canon 10x42.

I tried a kite and was surprised by how good the stability was, however a quick look through a Canon firmly put the kite back in its box, not that it was bad, the Canons edged it optically. I would like to try the Sigg but the price is very off putting, one could pick up the Canon 10x42.
I don't know about that. I had a hard time picking up the Canon 10x42 IS-L. It is a a brick! Probably the best thing about the Sig is its small size and light weight. It doesn't give up much optically to the Canon either, outside of a smaller AFOV. The Sig is better optically than the Kite. There is no comparison because of the better ED glass used in the Sig.

I don't know about that. I had a hard time picking up the Canon 10x42 IS-L. It is a a brick! Probably the best thing about the Sig is its small size and light weight. It doesn't give up much optically to the Canon either, outside of a smaller AFOV. The Sig is better optically than the Kite. There is no comparison because of the better ED glass used in the Sig.
Yea that old Canon is a brick for sure!
Over here these Sigg are not easy to come by and very expensive, I'd like to try one though. 16x is very tempting for me, lifetime guarantee as well!!
Have you taken it under the stars? Wonder how it performs.

If you think the Canon 10x42L IS is a brick, wait until you've hefted the Fujinon TS-X 14x40. Not a brick, more like a portable anvil. The stabilization at 14x is rock-solid, however.

Just a small nit: Sigg are the Swiss water-bottle makers. The binoculars are by US gun makers Sig-Sauer (originally Swiss-German, thus perhaps the confusion).

If you think the Canon 10x42L IS is a brick, wait until you've hefted the Fujinon TS-X 14x40. Not a brick, more like a portable anvil. The stabilization at 14x is rock-solid, however.

Just a small nit: Sigg are the Swiss water-bottle makers. The binoculars are by US gun makers Sig-Sauer (originally Swiss-German, thus perhaps the confusion).
I know I had a Fujinon TS-X 14x40. The SIG Sauer Zulu 6 16x42 IS stabilization is rock solid also, and it has a bigger AFOV, sharper edges and better CA control at 1/2 the weight.

Last edited:
Yea that old Canon is a brick for sure!
Over here these Sigg are not easy to come by and very expensive, I'd like to try one though. 16x is very tempting for me, lifetime guarantee as well!!
Have you taken it under the stars? Wonder how it performs.
It is the best binoculars I have used under the stars. The Canon 12x36 IS III used to be my best astro binocular but the Sig Sauer 16x42 even out performs it with the additional aperture and magnification and the fact that it is sharp to the edge, so you get no blurring of stars at the edge.

The Sig Sauer gives me the best Lunar views I have ever seen with a binocular. You can really identify a lot of lunar craters and mountains that you can't even see with lower magnification binoculars. If you are into lunar observation, it is your binocular.

I know I had a Fujinon TS-X 14x40. The SIG Sauer Zulu 6 16x42 IS stabilization is rock solid also, and it has a bigger AFOV, sharper edges and better CA control at 1/2 the weight. It is the best binoculars I have used under the stars. The Canon 12x36 IS III used to be my best astro binocular but the Sig Sauer 16x42 even out performs it with the additional aperture and magnification and the fact that it is sharp to the edge, so you get no blurring of stars at the edge.

The Sig Sauer gives me the best Lunar views I have ever seen with a binocular. You can really identify a lot of lunar craters and mountains that you can't even see with lower magnification binoculars. If you are into lunar observation, it is your binocular.
Dennis, the small, white packets that come with the binoculars are not suitable for consumption, they develop a strong euphoric effect that quickly wears off after 3-4 weeks and then turns into a massive feeling of disgust towards the purchased item!

In medical terms, this is called the paradoxical mode of action, the withdrawal syndrome can be alleviated with a water cure.

Does your wife know about your silicate addiction?

Andreas

Dennis, the small, white packets that come with the binoculars are not suitable for consumption, they develop a strong euphoric effect that quickly wears off after 3-4 weeks and then turns into a massive feeling of disgust towards the purchased item!

In medical terms, this is called the paradoxical mode of action, the withdrawal syndrome can be alleviated with a water cure.

Does your wife know about your silicate addiction?

Andreas
😂😂😂

It is the best binoculars I have used under the stars. The Canon 12x36 IS III used to be my best astro binocular but the Sig Sauer 16x42 even out performs it with the additional aperture and magnification and the fact that it is sharp to the edge, so you get no blurring of stars at the edge.

Thanks Dennis, it does sound impressive so will have to try and hunt one down.
I'm glad other manufacturers are pushing stabilised binoculars, in this case it seems they've done a stellar job.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back