• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

18 months in Shanghai: March 2012 - August 2013 (1 Viewer)

Naumann's

Inspired by Mike's (MKinHK) description of his Naumann's Thrush today I've quickly processed this best shot of four a bird allowed up here in SHA in an out of town park last Sunday...

Hopefully get that and the previous Sunday's trips written up before 2013 is upon us...let's see...

McM

Attachments

• 7389_Naumann's Thrush.jpg
    7389_Naumann's Thrush.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 53
This bird is pretty similar to my bird Mark - many thanks for posting.

Looking forward to reading your write up.

Cheers
Mike

Like yours better Mike...more advanced than ours plumage / age wise I'd say...

Still...cool looking birds

ATB
McM

Catching up...

Lawks!

Here we are, first day of 2013 spent birding with heaps of pictures to process and I'm still owing the thread three trips from last month!

Out of necessity, they'll have to be short on words as work (work, work) is hectic and the schedule of birding for January and February...if it all comes off...will only serve to leave me further adrift from this diary/blog thingy...

So...

Sunday 16th December Nanhui and Dishui Lake with Jocko for an early morning blast
Sunday 23rd December Dishui Lake, Nanhui and Haiwan Forest Park with Kevin for a full day
Sunday 30th December Binjiang Forest Park with Dev for most of the day
Tuesday 1st January Dongtan NR on Chongming Island with Dev and Lily

reports to follow...

JH & MM do a Nanhui Hit & Run

Sunday 16th December saw me at the usual rendezvous bright and early for Jocko to pick me up and zoom us down to Nanhui where we worked our way N along the seawall stopping as we felt it necessary.

It was relatively quiet but good numbers of ducks were about on both freshwater and the sea. Two redhead Smew were new for my China list. One Hoopoe was a nice splash of fun and colour. A Peregrine having fun dive-bombing the Spot-billed Duck flocks on the sea was good value. Seven Black-faced Spoonbill were well appreciated...always a treat to see. A fly through Bittern equally a “crowd” pleaser.

Full list here
http://birdtalker.net/birdtalker/report/reportview.asp?id=35871

We decided to stop off at Dishui Lake as we exited as I'd noticed some black blobs on the water. Good that we did as the blobs resolved into a flock of 300+ waterfowl most of which were Falcated Duck. Nice! Coot were also present in good numbers with lesser numbers of Teal, Pochard, Tufted Duck and Little, Great-crested and Black-necked Grebes.

Final goodies of the day were five Buff-bellied Pipits on roadside grass as we waited for the traffic lights to change to green in this ghost city in the, rapidly shrinking, marshes!

Attachments

• 7164_Falcated Duck.jpg
    7164_Falcated Duck.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 7173_Falcated Duck.jpg
    7173_Falcated Duck.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 39
N-n-n-Nanhui with an afternoon of Haiwan

Sunday 23rd December saw me head west on Metro number n-n-n-9 to Qibao to meet Kevin for our customary, high velocity whizz south out of the city.

We began at Dishui in the hope we'd refind the previous Sunday's “Falcated Flock”. First stop saw us enjoying three Hoopoe feeding on short grass beside the lake which delayed our discovery of a close-in Black-necked Grebe a little. Small flocks of White-cheeked Starling were also present in the area. Again, good numbers of Coot and Great-crested Grebe on the water.

Moving on to Nanhui reedbeds, we followed the same route as the previous Sunday's outing with Jocko...North, stopping as we felt the need. Smaller numbers of the expected ducks, a Kingfisher, single Snipe and Greenshank were good “padders” but the high point was when we took one of the numerous small tracks inland through the reeds. Quickly we came upon a flock of c.50 Pallas's Buntings moving north themselves, crossing the road in 1's, 2's and severals but being reluctant to pose for our cameras. Driving on and turning around in the hope of catching the bunts by surprise it was ourselves who were somewhat surprised as a small deer stepped up onto the road form the reeds, looked up, stared at us and then turned tails swiftly back the way it came...one out of focus shot our soul evidence!

Continuing inland the intent was to skirt the north edge of the golf club and then drop south into Binhai Forest Park to see what we could see. A wrong turn brought us onto a tree-lined track that served up a small, mixed flock of Olive-backed Pipits, Chinese Grosbeak, Elegant Bunting and Daurian Redstart. The road barred we retreated and found an alternate route to the forest park. It was quiet but a nice enough drive of discovery.

Now it was time to head to Haiwan Forest Park. So we did just that. Immediately upon arrival it was apparent thrushes were there in good numbers and predominately Dusky ones. Paying our entrance fees we wandered for two or three hours with very little disturbance from other, non-birding folk. Nice!

Daurain Redstart, many Red-flanked Bluetails, Black-faced Bunting, Oriental Turtle Doves were all seen several times. A feeding party of Yellow-bellied Tit were fun if difficult to get clean shots at. Better was the group of Black-throated Tit that crossed the path in front of us later in the afternoon. At least one Vinous-throated Parrotbill accompanied them.

Brambling became ever more common and our final tally was an in-flight flock of c.100 birds! Making our way out of the park we came across one Naumann's Thrush prepared to sit still for a short time.

Day over, it was back to the city and the excitement of the morrow...the day before Christmas...in the office for some of us...hence the tardiness of these write-ups!

Attachments

• 7248_Eurasian Hoopoe.jpg
    7248_Eurasian Hoopoe.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 36
  • 7267_Black-necked Grebe.jpg
    7267_Black-necked Grebe.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 7268_Pallas's Reed Bunting.jpg
    7268_Pallas's Reed Bunting.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 7291_Grey Heron.jpg
    7291_Grey Heron.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 7293_Deer spp..jpg
    7293_Deer spp..jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 45

Setting the scene...

Attachments

• 7364_Haiwan Forest Park.jpg
    7364_Haiwan Forest Park.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 7350_Be Careful Falling Water.jpg
    7350_Be Careful Falling Water.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 7381_Sign of the times.jpg
    7381_Sign of the times.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 7351_Rubbish Bin.jpg
    7351_Rubbish Bin.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 40
  • 7385_Haiwan Forest Park.jpg
    7385_Haiwan Forest Park.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 32

and the birds...

Attachments

• 7321_Dusky Thrush.jpg
    7321_Dusky Thrush.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 7325_Daurian Redstart.jpg
    7325_Daurian Redstart.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 7332_Black-faced Bunting.jpg
    7332_Black-faced Bunting.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 7340_Red-flanked Bluetail.jpg
    7340_Red-flanked Bluetail.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 7347_Oriental Turtle Dove.jpg
    7347_Oriental Turtle Dove.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 37

and more birds...

Attachments

• 7353_Yellow-bellied Tit.jpg
    7353_Yellow-bellied Tit.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 7365_Black-throated Tit.jpg
    7365_Black-throated Tit.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 7367_Black-throated Tit & Vinous-throated Parrotbill.jpg
    7367_Black-throated Tit & Vinous-throated Parrotbill.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 7371_Black-throated Tit.jpg
    7371_Black-throated Tit.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 7375_Black-throated Tit.jpg
    7375_Black-throated Tit.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 38
Black-throated Tit, huh. I'm yet to catch up that species for Shanghai. You were in that park in a wrong time of the year. Guess what you will get in autumn/spring? Few hundreds of honey buzzards n amur falcons.

Black-throated Tit, huh. I'm yet to catch up that species for Shanghai. You were in that park in a wrong time of the year. Guess what you will get in autumn/spring? Few hundreds of honey buzzards n amur falcons.
Don't tell me that Dev !!! I've been looking all over for those Amurs - surely they'll pass back through there on their way North again ? Or maybe if I remember correctly their migration path is actually a loop ?

Don't tell me that Dev !!! I've been looking all over for those Amurs - surely they'll pass back through there on their way North again ? Or maybe if I remember correctly their migration path is actually a loop ?

You are my man. Let's get some buzzard and amurs next autumn. Here are the record shots of a female honey buzzard and an amur. A local birder counted 250+ amurs & 100+ honey buzzards in 4 hours.

You are right about their return migration, they may not take the same path while returning. Let's hope some wil take the same.

Attachments

• buzzard,oriental_honey_001.jpg
    buzzard,oriental_honey_001.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 45
  • falcon,amur_001.jpg
    falcon,amur_001.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 39
Sunday 30th December...Binjiang Forest Park

I think I was in the office on Saturday...I know Dev and I chatted by text...

However it happened...I found myself up at the crack of dawn on Sunday 30th and hitting the metro east towards the end of Line 6 (Gangcheng Road station) avec said Devaram gentleman...

Once there we hailed a taxi and journeyed the last few km to the park entrance...paid our fees while looking at the assembled flock of starlings, thrushes and bulbuls gathered around berry trees just inside...

What followed was a long morning and early afternoon of wandering the paths around the park in almost total solitude...that in itself a luxury in this megacity...

Keeping things brief as I attempt to catch myself up before this weekends upcoming journey west for...well...that's for another post...we saw many thrushes, buntings, tits (...) and..eventually...Hawfinches...

Pictures speak lotsa words so...

Attachments

• 7390_White-cheeked Starling.jpg
    7390_White-cheeked Starling.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 7434_Black-faced Bunting.jpg
    7434_Black-faced Bunting.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 7461_Rustic Bunting.jpg
    7461_Rustic Bunting.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 7471_Red-flanked Bluetail.jpg
    7471_Red-flanked Bluetail.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 40
  • 7500_Rustic Bunting.jpg
    7500_Rustic Bunting.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

More in lieu of words...

Attachments

• 7508_Boats In The Water…duh duh duhhhh.jpg
    7508_Boats In The Water…duh duh duhhhh.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 7513_Binjiang Forest Park.jpg
    7513_Binjiang Forest Park.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 7533_Brambling.jpg
    7533_Brambling.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 35
  • 7545_White's Thrush.jpg
    7545_White's Thrush.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 53
  • 7554_Pallas's Warbler.jpg
    7554_Pallas's Warbler.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 43

Seems Goldcrest are "to die for" but...meh...flightly little buggers...

Attachments

• 7578_Goldcrest.jpg
    7578_Goldcrest.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 7598_Yellow-bellied Tit.jpg
    7598_Yellow-bellied Tit.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 7600_Binjiang Forest Park.jpg
    7600_Binjiang Forest Park.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 7605_Little Grebe.jpg
    7605_Little Grebe.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 42
  • 7621_Naumann's Thrush.jpg
    7621_Naumann's Thrush.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 39

...will it ever end...

Attachments

• 7686_Varied Tit.jpg
    7686_Varied Tit.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 7693_Great Spotted Woodpecker.jpg
    7693_Great Spotted Woodpecker.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 7702_Eastern Buzzard.jpg
    7702_Eastern Buzzard.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 7709_Dusky Thrush.jpg
    7709_Dusky Thrush.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 7719_Dusky Thrush.jpg
    7719_Dusky Thrush.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 38

..seems not...yet...the thrush wot didn't read the rules....

Attachments

• 7736_Grey-backed Thrush.jpg
    7736_Grey-backed Thrush.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 7760_Grey-backed Thrush.jpg
    7760_Grey-backed Thrush.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 7782_Grey-backed Thrush.jpg
    7782_Grey-backed Thrush.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 7794_Binjiang Forest Park.jpg
    7794_Binjiang Forest Park.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 7799_Binjiang Forest Park.jpg
    7799_Binjiang Forest Park.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 42

dogdy laughingthrushes...thread staple and elusive cherry-picker...

Attachments

• 7800_Hwamei.jpg
    7800_Hwamei.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 7828_Hwamei.jpg
    7828_Hwamei.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 40
  • 7846_Red-flanked Bluetail.jpg
    7846_Red-flanked Bluetail.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 7862_Hawfinch.jpg
    7862_Hawfinch.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 45
  • 7866_Hawfinch.jpg
    7866_Hawfinch.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 33
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back