• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1980s Leitz 10x40BA N repair. (1 Viewer)

TWM

I have an old pair of Leitz 10x40BA N binoculars from the 1980s.
Unfortunately one of the Objective lenses has got damaged (a fairly deep scratch).
I am having difficulty finding anyone that has a lens available to replace it.
Any ideas or does anyone out there have an old damaged pair lying around that has a reasonable lens?
A long shot I know, but worth a try.
I am based in Scotland.
Tim

Tim,

Sorry to say parts are scarce if not available, however you could always obtain one used from that auction site, and swap out the better objective lens plus you would have other additional parts from the donor if needed.

If the deep scratch is carefully blackened, then the performance of the binocular should be good.

Unblackened there may be a loss of contrast and possibly some glare.

Regards,
B.

Think it's probably time to retire it mate (while keeping an eye out for a damaged pair with intact objectives) and treat yourself to some of the improvements in optics that have happened over the last 50 years. I know the Scots are legendarily tight, but if you've had them since the 1980s you might not (ahem) have that much time left to enjoy the natural world, so...

...of course if your budget can't stretch to that, I suppose it's over to Ebay to find a parts donor, but you might need to wait a while, and you might need to be careful about the model as apparently the B models were made from 1965 - there may be differences in iterations and coatings that may mean that an objective lens from one may not fit into another. garymh from this parish would be the man to ask - recommend you get in touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back