• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1990's Alpha glass 30+ years on: the Bausch & Lomb Elite 7x36 (1 Viewer)

greekgeek

United States
This are clearly not new old stock, but I'll be darned if they are as close to being a time capsule in 2024. Impeccable condition.

I was excited to receive them so wanted to share a few quick pics. A quick peek through the lenses already gave a nice "Wow" impression.

This is my second pair of B&L Elites. When I first looked through the 8x42 I thought, wow, these are like gazing into a water world, so clear! Same effect with this pair in 7x36 only with a wider field of view in which to enjoy it. Probably more accurate to describe it as crystalline clarity, but I still like to call it water world for fun.

This pair is possibly sharper that the 8x42 but I have not yet compared them side by side.

Each time I look through them it's like being transported into a relaxing realm, easy to view everything and with an amazing level of detail.

Cheers to whomever designed and made these fine instruments.

If you have the chance to pick one up and are not too inclined for comparing it to the latest and greatest designs, I'd highly recommend it. It's a quality object with a little heft to it, no doubt about it.

Sure, it lacks some more desirable features and attributes yet, it also stands on its own for simply providing pleasurable views.

Any other fans of the Elites around these parts?1000020955.jpg1000020958.jpg1000020956.jpg1000020957.jpg1000020960.jpg1000020959.jpg

This are clearly not new old stock, but I'll be darned if they are as close to being a time capsule in 2024. Impeccable condition.

I was excited to receive them so wanted to share a few quick pics. A quick peek through the lenses already gave a nice "Wow" impression.

This is my second pair of B&L Elites. When I first looked through the 8x42 I thought, wow, these are like gazing into a water world, so clear! Same effect with this pair in 7x36 only with a wider field of view in which to enjoy it. Probably more accurate to describe it as crystalline clarity, but I still like to call it water world for fun.

This pair is possibly sharper that the 8x42 but I have not yet compared them side by side.

Each time I look through them it's like being transported into a relaxing realm, easy to view everything and with an amazing level of detail.

Cheers to whomever designed and made these fine instruments.

If you have the chance to pick one up and are not too inclined for comparing it to the latest and greatest designs, I'd highly recommend it. It's a quality object with a little heft to it, no doubt about it.

Sure, it lacks some more desirable features and attributes yet, it also stands on its own for simply providing pleasurable views.

Any other fans of the Elites around these parts?View attachment 1581229View attachment 1581230View attachment 1581231View attachment 1581232View attachment 1581233View attachment 1581234
Give them a going over with some Armour All then they will look like new.

Love my elites both 8 and 10 x42 both from 1991 which cost £600 each 33 years ago I only replaced them 18 months ago but still enjoy using them

I’m a fan, and also have the 7x36. Great sharpness and contrast, only really lacking brightness of modern coatings, and whites a bit creamy.
Glad to hear that! The sharpness and clarity is remarkable. In certain light I do notice a bit of glare in the 8x, but not much. Not sure if the coatings again or just the design.

Really looking forward to spend some time with them. First I need to source a neck strap, or modify one to fit the rather small swivel openings. I do not want to risk dropping them...

By the way I recognize your avatar from some older threads I had been reading, very helpful in discovering these and hunting down a pair of my own. So thank you!

Give them a going over with some Armour All then they will look like new.
Thanks for the tip! I was starting off with some Zeiss wipes and 409. Some progress but not there yet.

Love my elites both 8 and 10 x42 both from 1991 which cost £600 each 33 years ago I only replaced them 18 months ago but still enjoy using them
That's a pretty solid endorsement, 33 years of service! Money well spent indeed. Really supports the old saw about "Buy once, Cry once".

What did you end up replacing them with?

If you want to learn more, go to "Better View Desired", the website that reviewed the top binoculars
from the 90's and more. The B&L Elite 8x42 was a reference standard at that time.
Cloudy Nights has preserved this valuable collection of reviews, by sponsoring the archive.
Spend some time on there, you will find it very educational and enjoying.
Jerry

If you want to learn more, go to "Better View Desired", the website that reviewed the top binoculars
from the 90's and more. The B&L Elite 8x42 was a reference standard at that time.
Cloudy Nights has preserved this valuable collection of reviews, by sponsoring the archive.
Spend some time on there, you will find it very educational and enjoying.
Jerry
Thank you, that is a great site! Wonderful legacy of information, much of it still relevant.

I'm a believer in the optical quality of these 80-90's B&L Elites and actively keeping an eye out for a couple more versions. Particularly, I hope to find a phase coated gen 2, non waterproof in 8x42 to round the collection out.

Unfortunately, the eyecups from this generation are the first to go, so finding a high condition specimen is paramount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back