• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

$1K binoculars experiences - Conquest HD, Monarch HG, Tract Toric, GPO Passion HD, Trinovid HD (1 Viewer)

Thank you for the writeup. I've been using the Tract Turic 10x42 for a few months now and I don't know if I will keep them forever, as I'm very tempted to try the alpha's one day. But these are indeed an amazing binocular for the price. The level of detail in now light conditions always impresses me. The CA/false color definitely stands out to me during the day as well; but, everytime I use them I think to myself "I can't believe I only payed $700" for these.

Also their customer service is really top notch. Any issues they handle and they reply promptly -- I had forgotten what first class customer service feels like.

Thank you for the writeup. I've been using the Tract Turic 10x42 for a few months now and I don't know if I will keep them forever, as I'm very tempted to try the alpha's one day. But these are indeed an amazing binocular for the price. The level of detail in now light conditions always impresses me. The CA/false color definitely stands out to me during the day as well; but, everytime I use them I think to myself "I can't believe I only payed $700" for these.

Also their customer service is really top notch. Any issues they handle and they reply promptly -- I had forgotten what first class customer service feels like.
Might not be worth the upgrade hassle, they sound very good, and you're pleased with them...
Could end up in a lot of expense, and disappointment.
I upgraded my Conquests... not sure I should have bothered... they were just fine.
Got some Meopta's, which I rate highly, but needed to get the collimation sorted, wheras the Conquests were spot on.
Overall, it is an upgrade, but a small one, and came with some level of hassle.

Might not be worth the upgrade hassle, they sound very good, and you're pleased with them...
Could end up in a lot of expense, and disappointment.
I upgraded my Conquests... not sure I should have bothered... they were just fine.
Got some Meopta's, which I rate highly, but needed to get the collimation sorted, wheras the Conquests were spot on.
Overall, it is an upgrade, but a small one, and came with some level of hassle.
Thank you for the thought and reinforcing the idea of moderation. Yeah, honestly I'm confused because they're pretty darn good for what they are. The reason I've wanted to upgrade them, besides general curiosity, is that because I feel like in every binocular I've ever looked through (oberwerk deluxe, kowa bii, and now the turic's) I always see false color and color fringing.

And most of all, I feel like I sometimes see what I call a "metallic hue" to things (though with the turic's it's much better) or more accurately, it feels like I'm always looking at a image that's reflected off a mirror if that makes sense. Like I have a pocket stainless steel mirror I bought off amazon for like $20 (steel that's exceptionally polished with modern technology so that it's a mirror you can drop and it won't break so you don't get hurt) and I've always felt like every binocular I've looked through feels like that reflected metal image.

And so I've always wondered if the league of the alpha's will finally give me that true/natural look that I've been longing for in binoculars. I don't know if it's depth of field or color that my eyes are wanting but there's something just not quite right or perfect or natural. To that end, I've been eyeing the nikon edg's with reportedly lovely color saturation. But then there's the NL Pure whose praise are song too.

The other reason I'm inclined to stay with the turic's is because I like to roam around with my binoculars and it's easy for an accident to happen or for them to get forgotten somewhere and lost or even stolen. And so, being accidentally out $3k would sting a lot more than being accidentally out $700.

Edit: Another binocular I've been eye'ing, but this is a different weight and price class are the maven b5's. Perhaps that flourite glass might be something special. However they cost $1500 minimum, and again why should I pay that much when the turic's already perform so well for half the price.

Some very odd attitudes here. My questions were genuine. The more opinions from more people on what they think an alpha is, is a good thing. And the discussion branches out.
This "what's alpha" discussion/argument never reaches a clear answer that satisfies everyone, and has occurred so many times before (even in just the past year) that one might do better to read previous threads than start in again, so some may cringe or wonder why you're doing that. Enjoy your new pocket Leica, it's definitely "alpha" for its size, so if you don't want anything larger you're done.

it feels like I'm always looking at a image that's reflected off a mirror if that makes sense.
It might be mainly contrast that you find wanting, but the only way to find out is to try higher-quality models. None of my binoculars (Swaro SLC, Leica, even Nikon EII) leave me feeling dissatisfied in such a way. Of course choices about cost, risks, care etc are entirely up to you.

I was actually thinking about my "image off a reflected mirror" comment. I was thinking if i had to categorize it, maybe that's depth of field. Something that stands out to me among the various bino's I've tried is that none of them were porro prism's I don't think. So maybe that's it. My either grip I guess is true color saturation. Looking through most of those binos, the colors feel like a muted computer/tv monitor. Like how when you go to an electronics store and see several TVs on display for sale and you can see that one of the TV's colors is just off and isn't as great as the others but is subdued instead.

The turic's for me still aren't quite there yet in that regard. But they're very very good for the price and I concur with OP in that regard.

I was actually thinking about my "image off a reflected mirror" comment. I was thinking if i had to categorize it, maybe that's depth of field. Something that stands out to me among the various bino's I've tried is that none of them were porro prism's I don't think. So maybe that's it. My either grip I guess is true color saturation. Looking through most of those binos, the colors feel like a muted computer/tv monitor. Like how when you go to an electronics store and see several TVs on display for sale and you can see that one of the TV's colors is just off and isn't as great as the others but is subdued instead.

The turic's for me still aren't quite there yet in that regard. But they're very very good for the price and I concur with OP in that regard.

Offft. One thing I love about the Opticron Aurora 8x42 BGA VHD is the creamy colours that just bring a touch of life to whatever I am observing - be it at sea or on land.

Crystal clear view, and you just forget you are viewing through an optical instrument. Blissful.

Well you mentioned in your original post that there was a warranty issue.
That was nearly 4 months ago, and it is a very long thread.
Forgive me for asking.

Oh no problem, happy to answer. They replaced it within the week of my post here. But life got in the way, and I also got busy at work. So the new GPO just stayed on my shelf. But GPO support was friendly and quick.

I own the Trinovids 10x42 and my son owns the Conquests 10x42. I would consider both of us as novices with over a year behind each optic and, we are both completely satisfied. From a novices perspective I would say that the Conquest image is a tad sharper but, for me, I don’t think I could have concluded this if not for the ability to compare the two side-by-side in varying conditions (my son has said the same). The Trinovids seem to have a tad more eye relief. When using the Conquests both my son and I need to kick the bottom of the eye-cups slightly away from the face (with eye cups fully extended). This is absolutely no problem and after the first few times you do it automatically and without thought. I prefer the ergonomics of the Trinovids but, my son prefers the ergonomics of the Conquests. When doing astronomy we spend most of our time behind the telescope or spotting scope but, when the need arises for binoculars, we both simply reach for whichever is closest. I really don’t think you could go wrong with either but, I do believe that if given the opportunity to compare both side-by-side most would form a slight preference based more on feel rather than optics.
I am truly blessed to be able to observe God’s wonderful creation with such fine optics and an amazing son.

I own the Trinovids 10x42 and my son owns the Conquests 10x42. I would consider both of us as novices with over a year behind each optic and, we are both completely satisfied. From a novices perspective I would say that the Conquest image is a tad sharper but, for me, I don’t think I could have concluded this if not for the ability to compare the two side-by-side in varying conditions (my son has said the same). The Trinovids seem to have a tad more eye relief. When using the Conquests both my son and I need to kick the bottom of the eye-cups slightly away from the face (with eye cups fully extended). This is absolutely no problem and after the first few times you do it automatically and without thought. I prefer the ergonomics of the Trinovids but, my son prefers the ergonomics of the Conquests. When doing astronomy we spend most of our time behind the telescope or spotting scope but, when the need arises for binoculars, we both simply reach for whichever is closest. I really don’t think you could go wrong with either but, I do believe that if given the opportunity to compare both side-by-side most would form a slight preference based more on feel rather than optics.
I am truly blessed to be able to observe God’s wonderful creation with such fine optics and an amazing son.
Both are great binoculars made by great companies. Zeiss has extended eyecups you can get for free, that will alleviate having to pull the binos away from your face. Give them a call they will send to you a pair, they work great.

Paul

Both are great binoculars made by great companies. Zeiss has extended eyecups you can get for free, that will alleviate having to pull the binos away from your face. Give them a call they will send to you a pair, they work great.

Paul
HiPaul,
Are the extended eyecups for the x42 conquests only or do they offer them for the x32 as well? I have the 10x32s and would love just a bit more eye relief.
thanks
z

Paul
Thank You.
In my opinion this upgrade will make the Conquest a near perfect binocular for this price range.

I suspect that a Meopta Meostar would thoroughly satisfy you at less than alpha price. There's an 8x32 in the Classifieds here now, and the 10x42 HD might suit you even better.
Thank you for the recommendation. I didn't realize we have a classifieds section here on Birdforum. (Also I finally figured out how to do multi-quote finally. There's an insert quotes button on the reply box.)

I've heard of the Meopta's being well rated. I had heard rumblings of Meopta B2's in the pipeline so I think that's part of the reason I always held off. Some irrational fear of missing out. Lol.

Offft. One thing I love about the Opticron Aurora 8x42 BGA VHD is the creamy colours that just bring a touch of life to whatever I am observing - be it at sea or on land.

Crystal clear view, and you just forget you are viewing through an optical instrument. Blissful.
Very interesting. I'm glad you find them blissful. That's what it's all about in the end huh. I'll keep an eye on the Opticron's as well -- thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back