• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2007 price increase: true or false? (1 Viewer)

zeppelin

Spotted on Bear Basin's site:

Last, Swarovski Optik has announced up to a $250 increase on Swarovski spotting scopes to to become effective January 2007. (link)

and:

Swarovski Has Announced Up To A 10% Price Increase On Binoculars Effective January 2007. (link)

Can anyone substantiate these claims?

I don't know about Swarovski, but a source close to Leica told me they're raising their prices across the board come 1-1-07...

That's bad news... |=(|

I'm in the process of buying a scope (currently ploughing through the myriad of options) and with the top models already being as expensive as they are, a price increase is not exactly what I need right now. :storm:

Well if you live in the States you need to take account of the weak dollar at this time, but generally I think that Swaro may well up their prices to cover perhaps increased costs which have eaten into profits. It has been some time since they upped their prices.

zeppelin said:
That's bad news... |=(|

I'm in the process of buying a scope (currently ploughing through the myriad of options) and with the top models already being as expensive as they are, a price increase is not exactly what I need right now. :storm:
If you don't mind a straight model, Warehouse Express still have the Zeiss 85 at a bargain price. With the Vario zoom, you wouldn't want for better.

scampo said:
If you don't mind a straight model, Warehouse Express still have the Zeiss 85 at a bargain price. With the Vario zoom, you wouldn't want for better.

I'm planning to stop by a reasonably well equipped outfit next weekend where I can try some scopes side by side. I've basically narrowed things down to either the Zeiss 85 or the Swarovski 80, although Nikon, Leica and Pentax offerings are still under consideration. I'm definitely aiming at an angled model though, and I'm not planning on buying from overseas (to avoid possible warranty hassles).

Oh well, considering that the new year has rolled in by now, I guess this issue is now moot. If the prices have been raised, I'll just have to bite the bullet on that.

Swarovski price rise

I talked to a dealer last weekend who verified that Swarovski raised its prices, at least in the U.S. on spotting scopes, as of 1 January. He didn't know the percentage.

stabor said:
I talked to a dealer last weekend who verified that Swarovski raised its prices, at least in the U.S. on spotting scopes, as of 1 January. He didn't know the percentage.
USA prices went up ~ 10%.

Recent price comparison:

Nikon
Fieldscope 82mm AN ED 1100.00
DS 30X 18.7mm (6954) 229.00
Total 1329.00

Swarovski
Scope ATS 80mm ED 49614 2099.00
30X 49336 375.00
Swarovski Case SAC-SK-49624 235.00
Total 2709.00

Yes, folks, that's two Nikon scopes for the price of one Swarovski.

John Traynor said:

Recent price comparison:

Nikon
Fieldscope 82mm AN ED 1100.00
DS 30X 18.7mm (6954) 229.00
Total 1329.00

Swarovski
Scope ATS 80mm ED 49614 2099.00
30X 49336 375.00
Swarovski Case SAC-SK-49624 235.00
Total 2709.00

Or nearly 3 pentax 80 PF ED,S

John Traynor said:

... ...

Isn't that an amazing thing?

In the UK the Nikon ED82 + 30xW is relatively more expensive at £858.00 (~$1660 inc 17.5% tax) with the Swarovski 80HD + 30xW at £1384.00 (~$2685.00 inc 17.5% tax).

scampo said:
Isn't that an amazing thing?

In the UK the Nikon ED82 + 30xW is relatively more expensive at £858.00 (~$1660 inc 17.5% tax) with the Swarovski 80HD + 30xW at £1384.00 (~$2685.00 inc 17.5% tax).

All the more amazing when you consider that many users of this forum, myself included, actually prefer the view through the Nikon.
With a zoom the
Swaro clearly has the edge but the Nikon with its 30xW is surely a comparative steal at these prices.
Jim.

Indeed - I doubt any birding scope available is better than the Nikon ED82 (or EDIII) with its 30xW (interstingly the scope is also fairly compact, being no longer than the Swaro 65, for example). The 25-75x zoom might have slightly less eye relief and field of view but it certainly shares Nikon's true-to-life image.

scampo said:

Ack... I should be so lucky...

The best price I could find here was ~$3000.00 for the ATS80HD + 30xW (partially due to our 19% tax rate). With the 20-60x instead of the 30xW, that goes up to ~$3150.

Still I decided to go ahead with that configuration. A few days back, I spent quite some time comparing several scopes side-by-side. The ergonomics (weight, rubber armor, helical focus), color and warranty/reputation of the ATS80HD eventually won me over. As a photographer, I already have a good tripod (Manfrotto 055PROB) which I will be using with the scope as well. I did throw in a 700RC2 head though, because none of my photography oriented heads are really convenient for scoping.

It's a huge chunk of cash, but I couldn't be happier. I'm hoping to take it out into the field this weekend and get my first scope scoop. ;)

You've got a pleasant weekend awaiting you, I'd say. A quality scope makes a lot of difference to the hobby, that's for sure. Let's hope for good weather and viewing conditions - and, of course, some interesting birds!

scampo said:
You've got a pleasant weekend awaiting you, I'd say. A quality scope makes a lot of difference to the hobby, that's for sure. Let's hope for good weather and viewing conditions - and, of course, some interesting birds!

Over the years, I've used and/or purchased a few bins ranging from dirt to sorta cheap, and none of them ever really convinced me. As soon as I had a chance to look through one of Swaro's EL's a few years back, I was sold (and so were those bins). Since then, I've been carrying them off and on during casual walks as well as visits to bird locations. It didn't take long until I learned what I later found to be quite common among birders: those bins only get you so far.

We're a country of water and as such we're blessed with an above average share of wetlands and coast line for such a small country, and spotting (much less identifying or studying) birds across a sizable pool of water is not easy when armed with nothing but a pair of binoculars.

So now I'm looking forward to retrying a prime birding location which left me sort of disappointed after previous visits because most of the birds were just too far away for me and my binos.

Weather permitting, it should indeed be a fun day. And if not, I'll just have another good reason to look forward to next spring!

With the weather we've been experiencing spring is all but here already! I expect a cold snap is around the corner though. Have fun with the Swaro!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back