• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2014 Nikon Warranty Changes- USA (6 Viewers)

Bob,

I do not see the difference or even a problem.
The practice is, that (no matter the age) 99% of all cases are repaired free of charge. Certainly 100% of all repairs under guarantee are free of charge.
Wether the period is 10 or 30 years is no issue IMO.

A big part of their domination in the market is due to their high level coulance service strategy. These costs are nothing compared to the sales advantage these services brings them.
Are you afraid Swarovski will get blind/dumb, or something.
Why do you think Zeiss is copying Swaro's service level now?

Jan

Jan,

I can't see 10 years into the future. Even with my Swarovski binoculars!;)

So you will have to forgive me for being skeptical.

I realize that you are stating only your opinion here but I also realize that Swarovski continuing their present practices can have a bearing on your future income. This is natural loyalty on your part to the brand. You have about a 10 year leeway before you find out if your loyalty is rewarded.

At the same time, Swarovski is telling all current purchasers, exactly what their new warranty period is, in writing, at the time the binocular is purchased.

If the purchasers are wise they will rely on that only and not what people who sell Swarovski's products tell them about the warranty and about what Swarovski did in the past when the warranty period was much longer.

Many things change over time. Swarovski is a corporation, it can't get blind or dumb but the people running it can.

Bob

Last edited:
Hi Bob, et. al.,

My Swaro SLC-HD was purchased about three years ago but I don't recall the warranty statement offhand. I'm happy to accept what Steve posted in #31, which is more detailed than I remember. In the end all these rubber-worded warranties are written for legal purposes. What counts is what they do, and SONA has provided amazing customer service in the US for over 20 yrs., and it looks like they're holding steady. My interpretation is that they will service any instrument originally purchased from an authorized Swaro dealer in the US. Original ownership isn't mentioned explicitly, and they've applied a great deal of wiggle to keep their users happy and coming back for more.

Nikon, on the other hand, is much more explicit about the warranty being applicable only to the original purchaser, and I take them at their word. They can do that. My primary beef is that they launched a sales campaign several years ago hawking a "No-fault policy" that was intentionally ambiguous and clearly misleading. Now, they believe they can simply walk away from however many people were persuaded to buy their products because of that "policy." Maybe they can, maybe they can't. Personally, I think what they've done is unethical so I'd like to see them challenged in court. It's not quite as bad as when the Dodgers up and left Brooklyn for Los Angeles, but it rekindles those kinds of emotions. |=(|

Ed
In court, the definition of "lifetime" will arise and it will be argued that the product's lifetime is such and such and that the owner's lifespan is inconsequential. They will move on to warranty changes (25-year to lifetime), definitions of policy versus warranty and, in the end, Nikon will win the argument. Refurbs and second-hands won't even be considered.

Again, where's the Nikon rep on this issue?

Jan,

I can't see 10 years into the future. Even with my Swarovski binoculars!;)

So you will have to forgive me for being skeptical.

I realize that you are stating only your opinion here but I also realize that Swarovski continuing their present practices can have a bearing on your future income. This is natural loyalty on your part to the brand. You have about a 10 year leeway before you find out if your loyalty is rewarded.

At the same time, Swarovski is telling all current purchasers, exactly what their new warranty period is, in writing, at the time the binocular is purchased.

If the purchasers are wise they will rely on that only and not what people who sell Swarovski's products tell them about the warranty and about what Swarovski did in the past when the warranty period was much longer.

Many things change over time. Swarovski is a corporation, it can't get blind or dumb but the people running it can.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the assurement that you understand that I give my personal impression on this subject. We, as dealers, sell anyway. Isn't it a Swaro it will be a Leica and/or Zeiss.
Trust is earned by experience!

Jan

In court, the definition of "lifetime" will arise and it will be argued that the product's lifetime is such and such and that the owner's lifespan is inconsequential. They will move on to warranty changes (25-year to lifetime), definitions of policy versus warranty and, in the end, Nikon will win the argument. Refurbs and second-hands won't even be considered.

Again, where's the Nikon rep on this issue?

IMHO, by the time a dispute goes to the courts to parse what the meaning of is is, to quote a former US President, the idea will have already died. Swaro stands behind their products and customers willingly pay a premium for the peace of mind that brings.
Barring serious corporate trauma or the emergence of a much less mature product such as a digital scope, Swaro will not shoot itself in the heart by cheapening out on service support.

I do agree that Nikon would be well served to learn from Zeiss and participate in this forum as required.

Quote: "Swarovski will not shoot itself in the foot by cheapening out on service support",
is the essence of it all.

The Chinese and Japanese optical brands make very good products nowadays. IMHO not on the level of the big 3 but close and on a price rate that scare the shit out of the big 3!
Cheapening on service is indeed shooting in your foot. For that reason Zeiss is stepping up in service and is now the only A-brand with a Chinese, a Japanese and a European (price) quality level AND with a excellent service program.

Just my thoughts.

Jan

IMHO, by the time a dispute goes to the courts to parse what the meaning of is is, to quote a former US President, the idea will have already died. Swaro stands behind their products and customers willingly pay a premium for the peace of mind that brings.
Barring serious corporate trauma or the emergence of a much less mature product such as a digital scope, Swaro will not shoot itself in the heart by cheapening out on service support.

I do agree that Nikon would be well served to learn from Zeiss and participate in this forum as required.

Below is a warranty statement, in part, from Swarovski's American website. It is titled: LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY.

"SWAROVSKI OPTIK offers a lifetime warranty on the optical system for products purchased by US residents from an authorized SWAROVSKI OPTIK North American dealer. .......... ........... SWAROVSKI OPTIK warrants all other parts of the instrument for for ten years from date of purchase against defects in materials or workmanship, subject to normal use......"

In contrast with the above statement a "Lifetime Warranty" is not mentioned in the warranty one gets with new binoculars from Swarovski. Check the manuals that come with new Swarovski binoculars and read the warranty therein if you do not believe me.

I currently own 4 binoculars from Swarovski and I have the manuals for all of them which are dated from 2006 through 2012. During this time period the length of the warranty changed from "30 years from date of purchase" to "10 years from date of purchase." None of the warranty statements in these manuals mention a "Lifetime Warranty."

If we are calling for a representative from Nikon to come here and explain the changes and discrepancies in Nikons warranty we should also expect Swarovski's representative to do the same when similar questions come up.

But in fairness to them both we probably should realize that they will first have to get permission from corporate headquarters to make a statement on these warranty issues.

Last edited:
Below is a warranty statement, in part, from Swarovski's American website. It is titled: LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY.

"SWAROVSKI OPTIK offers a lifetime warranty on the optical system for products purchased by US residents from an authorized SWAROVSKI OPTIK North American dealer. .......... ........... SWAROVSKI OPTIK warrants all other parts of the instrument for for ten years from date of purchase against defects in materials or workmanship, subject to normal use......"

In contrast with the above statement a "Lifetime Warranty" is not mentioned in the warranty one gets with new binoculars from Swarovski. Check the manuals that come with new Swarovski binoculars and read the warranty therein if you do not believe me.

I currently own 4 binoculars from Swarovski and I have the manuals for all of them which are dated from 2006 through 2012. During this time period the length of the warranty changed from "30 years from date of purchase" to "10 years from date of purchase." None of the warranty statements in these manuals mention a "Lifetime Warranty."

If we are calling for a representative from Nikon to come here and explain the changes and discrepancies in Nikons warranty we should also expect Swarovski's representative to do the same when similar questions come up.

But in fairness to them both we probably should realize that they will first have to get permission from corporate headquarters to make a statement on these warranty issues.

Ehhh,

Could it be that Dale Forbes only reads the Swaro threads???
Maybe you should PM him for to take a look at this thread for an answer.

Jan

, Swaro will not shoot itself in the heart by cheapening out on service support.

Truthfully, I never would have thought Nikon would shoot their self in the foot either. I think Swaro is probably safe from shooting itself, it is a premium product that will probably always be scarce in big box retailers. If Zeiss is successful in the Terra venture, it as well as the millions of binoculars being pumped out of Chinese factories may put pressure on Swaro internally to step up the market share. If so, then anything is possible.

When the language of something changes, there is usually a reason. Could be legal'eze or could be a sea change. Wont know for a long time but as of now, I have never heard a complaint on Swaro service.

As for Nikon participation on the forum, I dont see a plus side to it from a marketing stand point. It would be great but the members here would twist everything around and any rep who had to inform about or defend the product would be asked a million questions on things he has no control over and little info about. Being a factory rep doesnt mean you know all the company directions. Trust me, factory reps are kept in the dark on a lot of things and from what I have seen here, if they dont give a yes or no answer they and their company get drug through the mud. Why put their self through the headaches. Any mis-step will bring grief down on them, from the forum, from the other reps, or from corp.

If they were wishing to compete in the top tier of sport optics then there is some benefit to some Nikon management getting involved in the forum, but I dont think Nikon is worried about competing on top tier. They have some product that do, but it seems like an after thought. Their bread and butter these days seems to be decent lower tier up to high mid level going out of the big box.

My view is that they know it's not worth it, and not by miles and miles.

One ad in one issue of a sporting monthly in just one country say, Australia, will bring them a minimum of 500,000 readers, far higher in the US.

Although this is a global forum the stats are virtually indiscernible by comparison.

No offense caesar, but you need to turn the page bro. Swaro USA goes above and beyond, no matter what the warranty says. It's not even arguable. The only explaining Swaro USA needs to do is explain why they fix things for free that dumbazzes misuse and/or neglect.

No offense caesar, but you need to turn the page bro. Swaro USA goes above and beyond, no matter what the warranty says. It's not even arguable. The only explaining Swaro USA needs to do is explain why they fix things for free that dumbazzes misuse and/or neglect.

Swarovski does it now. I know that.

Will they do it 10 years from now?

Bob

PS: I just thought that I would add, since this is a Nikon Forum, that the New Nikon 10x32 EDG II I received from Nikon in July to replace the 10x32 EDG I I purchased in July 2010 also has a 25 year Warranty from the date I got it, just like the old one did. I sent it in because of problems with the armour bubbling and the ridged rubber focus wheel cover had stretched. The diopter was working perfectly. Nikon's warranty apparently applied to the armour on the binocular. If you check Swarovski's warranties, past and present, you will see that the armour is excluded.

And I will add that Nikon's service in handling this matter was splendid!

Nikon to date, although it has apparently ended its "no fault" warranty, has not shortened its individual warranty period in the USA like other companies have done.

Last edited:

Bob

PS: I just thought that I would add, since this is a Nikon Forum, that the New Nikon 10x32 EDG II I received from Nikon in July to replace the 10x32 EDG I I purchased in July 2010 also has a 25 year Warranty from the date I got it, just like the old one did. I sent it in because of problems with the armour bubbling and the ridged rubber focus wheel cover had stretched. The diopter was working perfectly. Nikon's warranty apparently applied to the armour on the binocular. If you check Swarovski's warranties, past and present, you will see that the armour is excluded.

Nikon to date, although it has apparently ended its "no fault" warranty, has not shortened its individual warranty period in the USA like other companies have done.

Bob,

Just to repair the bin, Swarovski has to remove the armour and replace it by a new one. In repair issues, every time the customer says: "Did they give me a new bin?".
Sorry mate, you're now trying to F... a musquito.

Jan

Bob,

Just to repair the bin, Swarovski has to remove the armour and replace it by a new one. In repair issues, every time the customer says: "Did they give me a new bin?".
Sorry mate, you're now trying to F... a musquito.

Jan

It must be important. Otherwise the phrase about the warranty not covering the armoring wouldn't be in the warranty!

The people running Swarovski are not dumb or careless. There is a reason for it. Why don't you ask them and report back here instead of speculating about it?

Bob

It must be important. Otherwise the phrase about the warranty not covering the armoring wouldn't be in the warranty!

The people running Swarovski are not dumb or careless. There is a reason for it. Why don't you ask them and report back here instead of speculating about it?

Bob

It will probably be more of an issue once they start importing Chinese binoculars. LOL

Well I called SONA for clarification on this. And even though this should probably be in the Swaro forum- here it goes.

And..... here is my take after speaking with them- respectively the 10 years mentioned here is much ado about nothing.

The Swaro manual referred to in this thread and that is in the back of the Swaro booklets under the "EN" ( for English) does say 10 years- even in the booklets sold with USA sold binos. My Swaro 8x32 SV states the same exact thing. But... swaro is not going to produce different manuals for USA and Europe. So in the UK maybe it is 10 years ( for EU reasons??? I do not know).

So the rep at SONA did not know what I was talking about when I asked if the CL binoculars had a reduced warranty. He said no, and then checked with someone and came back on the line and said all of the binoculars had a Limited Lifetime warranty. And even though my SV booklet in the back says 10 years- the SONA warranty states Limited Lifetime Warranty. The only thing he did state was that they may only keep parts for 10 years for some binoculars. But he said they have still been servicing SL binoculars from late 80's and early 90's.

So if it was me I would not worry about Swarovski suddenly ditching their customers. That may be other companies style- but it is not Swarovski's style. IMO- they still have one of the very best ( if not the best) CS reputations and actual follow through of any company around. They do walk the talk.

From Swaro website: ( BTW- this pdf regarding warranties is the same for all binoculars on their site- from the SV's to the small CL's)

http://aa.swarovskioptik.com/download/pdf/en_US/Warranty_US.pdf

Last edited:

Bob

Once again, that's total BS. There are many documented cases circulating around the hunting forums that Swaro would make a complete overhaul of glass, coatings, armor, etc and charge the customer nothing.

Speaking of 10 years out, there's no guarantee Nikon Sport Optics or Leica Sport Optics will even be around then.

Here's the bar, this posted recently by a hunter elsewhere on the web :

"Posted my 20 year old 8x30-SLC binoculars back to their home land 3 weeks ago. The enclosed letter requested they quote me for the necessary work. Repairing the broken strap attachment loops replace split/missing lens covers and anything else noticed. They have just turned up on the door step and are unrecognisable, new outer casing, new strap loops, new eye cups and new lens caps. The enclosed note lists these part No's and says the calibration has been checked, it also says remittance to be sent to Swarovski not sender. The bill 000.00. I seem to have as good as new bins, with nicer eye pieces, after 20 years use. Do you think I can get my postage refunded as well ?
Absolutely magic, well done and thank you Swarovski optic."

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back