• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2015 UK Orchids (1 Viewer)

I've suddenly decided to visit Lancs/Cumbria for High Brown Fritillary this Thursday. Also hoping to go to Gait Barrows for Dark Red Helleborine.

Anything else in the area I could add in whilst I'm there? Any other Helleborines? Any hybrids? Can Lesser Twayblade be found in the area?

Any info very much appreciated.

Lesser Twayblade in Cumbria - yes. Ash Fell is the place, but we saw them in flower some 4 weeks ago. I will PM you the directions just in case you wish to look.

Martin

Travelling for work, I had a brief opportunity to look around Loch Garten today. Not the best circumstances to look for Lesser Twayblade, but I tried anyway without success. I tried a couple of places along the road past the reserve entrance with vague memories from ‘donkey’s years ago’. Must look a bit strange a bloke in smart work clothes crouching down in the moss and heather.

If anyone has more up to date info as to where to look next year this would be appreciated. Creeping Lady's Tresses (if my id correct without flowers) still a way to go.

hi Simon and thanks for posting BTO could you please give me some directions and where to park would be very helpful
Kind regards Mike

Lesser Twayblade in Cumbria - yes. Ash Fell is the place, but we saw them in flower some 4 weeks ago. I will PM you the directions just in case you wish to look.

Martin

Must be about the right time for the Dune Helleborines at Sandscale Haws - also occasional green helleborine - haven't been this year though - or try the creeping ladies tresses at Cliburn Moss- but make sure you have plenty of insect repellent

sancta and dune

Sancta on Lindisfarne have not flowered yet. The ranger will look at the weekend and see what's happening. I was looking at several plants on this day last year with lots of flowers open. They are going to be a week or 10 days behind last year I would have thought. This might well be the case for the west Nortumberland and Tyne dune helleborines whose flowering time invariably coincides with the sancta.

Narrow Lipped

Would like to see Narrow Lipped this year,does anyone have any info of state and sites yet . In Surrey/Chilterns please pm
Roger

Creeping about

Would anyone out there know if the creeping ladies' tresses are flowering in Norfolk yet, please?
Or indeed any decent sites in East/West Midlands for bee/frog orchids, as I'll be up that way visiting this weekend (I have a couple of helleborine sites to visit whilst there)? Any info gratefully received,

Ian

Last edited:
Sweeney Fen

Today we were able to check out the (for us) relatively local Sweeney Fen (Shropshire) site. It's a gem if you don't know it.

Some Southern Marsh (and a couple of possible D. x grandis) were still to be seen. Lots of Common Spotted in various stages of flowering - some going over. Marsh Helleborine were starting to flower well, but with multitudes still to come. The highlight for us were the Marsh Fragrants, which looked stunning and gave a very pleasant odour, and which were present in very good numbers.

We were on the lookout for Hybrid Common Spotted x Marsh Fragrant and I would be grateful for any thoughts on the attached which represent two plants (plant A 1,2,3; plant B - 4), both with lightly spotted leaves and with slight fragrance. This combination plus the general appearance of the labellum together with the spur length (particularly on the second plant) seemed to suggest the hybrid, but we have not seen it before and are not certain. Any help appreciated.

Martin and Elaine

Attachments

• Query 1   4.JPG
    Query 1 4.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Query 1   1.JPG
    Query 1 1.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Query 1   5.JPG
    Query 1 5.JPG
    285.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Query 2   6.JPG
    Query 2 6.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 84
Today we were able to check out the (for us) relatively local Sweeney Fen (Shropshire) site. It's a gem if you don't know it.

Some Southern Marsh (and a couple of possible D. x grandis) were still to be seen. Lots of Common Spotted in various stages of flowering - some going over. Marsh Helleborine were starting to flower well, but with multitudes still to come. The highlight for us were the Marsh Fragrants, which looked stunning and gave a very pleasant odour, and which were present in very good numbers.

We were on the lookout for Hybrid Common Spotted x Marsh Fragrant and I would be grateful for any thoughts on the attached which represent two plants (plant A 1,2,3; plant B - 4), both with lightly spotted leaves and with slight fragrance. This combination plus the general appearance of the labellum together with the spur length (particularly on the second plant) seemed to suggest the hybrid, but we have not seen it before and are not certain. Any help appreciated.

Martin and Elaine

I've never seen this combination Martin, but I've seen Common Spotted hybrids with both Common and Heath Fragrants, and in both cases you get robust plants with quite a dense flower spike. In both cases the resulting plants look from a distance like Fragrants but with markings on the lip.

With Marsh Fragrant involved logic would suggest the flower spike would be even taller and denser, quite unlike your rather weedy specimens.

Also in all the hybrids I've seen the really long Fragrant spur is still there. Plant B shows a longish spur but is it long enough?

Odd if they both had the carnation scent which would suggest a Fragrant influence.

Rich

Would anyone out there know if the creeping ladies' tresses are flowering in Norfolk yet, please?
Or indeed any decent sites in East/West Midlands for bee/frog orchids, as I'll be up that way visiting this weekend (I have a couple of helleborine sites to visit whilst there)? Any info gratefully received,

Ian

Me too. Hoping to go one evening next week. They were flowering this time last year I believe.

Martin and Elaine

I've been to Sweeney Fen a few times - it was the first place I ever saw Marsh Helleborine and Marsh Fragrant orchid back in 2006!

I would say that the Common Spots always looked very small and weedy and not very numerous. Never really considered a hybrid but like Rich says, I would expect such a plant to be a very grand affair indeed. I don't think a hybrid would be fertile so you only get first generation (F1) hybrids.
Interesting nonetheless!

Mike

Alyn Waters

Elaine and I made one of our regular visits to Alyn Waters country Park this morning and thought that a brief update might help those who might be thinking of visiting this remarkable site.

We looked at both sides (Llay and Gwersyllt). Certain things hit us: the general dryness of the ground (for this neck of the woods) seems to be responsible for almost complete absence of Bees; the Common Twayblades in the open tended to be looking very desiccated; Common Spotteds in good numbers but some going over earlier than usual. CTs and CSOs in the shade were tending to look fresher than those in the open. One CT trifoliata but these are not uncommon at this location.

The Dunes and Phyllanthes both looked to be coming on well and appeared to be about 1-2 weeks away from "flowering".

On a side note and somewhat to our surprise there were very strong numbers of (non orchidaceous) Yellow Bird's Nest - much improved on the last three years, but most still just pushing through. Given that this plant is sometimes a bellwether for Ghost Orchid perhaps there is hope, Sean! On the other hand it is VERY dry and that would perhaps be a counter-indication. In any case we are some way from the historical sites here, although we have not stopped hoping and searching!

Attached photos are to show that we have some Common Spotteds of a non-pigmy-like stature up here! i hope the YBN won't be a heart stopper for anyone!

Martin

Attachments

• Common Spotted AW 3.JPG
    Common Spotted AW 3.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 57
  • Common Spotted AW 4.JPG
    Common Spotted AW 4.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 51
  • YBN AW 4.JPG
    YBN AW 4.JPG
    298 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Elaine and I made one of our regular visits to Alyn Waters country Park this morning and thought that a brief update might help those who might be thinking of visiting this remarkable site.

We looked at both sides (Llay and Gwersyllt). Certain things hit us: the general dryness of the ground (for this neck of the woods) seems to be responsible for almost complete absence of Bees; the Common Twayblades in the open tended to be looking very desiccated; Common Spotteds in good numbers but some going over earlier than usual. CTs and CSOs in the shade were tending to look fresher than those in the open. One CT trifoliata but these are not uncommon at this location.

The Dunes and Phyllanthes both looked to be coming on well and appeared to be about 1-2 weeks away from "flowering".

On a side note and somewhat to our surprise there were very strong numbers of (non orchidaceous) Yellow Bird's Nest - much improved on the last three years, but most still just pushing through. Given that this plant is sometimes a bellwether for Ghost Orchid perhaps there is hope, Sean! On the other hand it is VERY dry and that would perhaps be a counter-indication. In any case we are some way from the historical sites here, although we have not stopped hoping and searching!

Attached photos are to show that we have some Common Spotteds of a non-pigmy-like stature up here! i hope the YBN won't be a heart stopper for anyone!

Martin

I reported on 18th June (post #417) that AWCP was bone dry and that the Bee's looked a bit worse for wear. It hasn't changed much since then.
I had hoped the DH and GFH were out by now so will wait a while before I return. Thanks for update

Steve

I had only a brief time to search Steve so i only found the 7 plants , but i had a message on FB from a friend who has also found DRH on the Orme

I had a bright warm day on Great Orme today. I counted 23 Dark Reds in flower (including 3 growing in the cliffs immediately above), and 11 plants without a flower.
They do not have the sheer colour intensity of those I saw in County Durham, and most are below average height. The are some quite reddish, but others are pink or pale, and one quite brownish with just hints of red. No, it wasn't withering.

Attachments

• drh1.jpg
    drh1.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 68
  • drh2.jpg
    drh2.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 66
  • drh3.jpg
    drh3.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 54
  • DRH4.jpg
    DRH4.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 48
  • DRH5.jpg
    DRH5.jpg
    570.2 KB · Views: 73
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back