• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (1 Viewer)

And now there has been found a Pine Bunting in York (I suppose) - so they should go back...

Or is it a more regular rarity in Sweden and there is even one hanging around there at the moment?

They posted this link about the lumping of Hudbrel and our Whimbrel on their facebook site:
http://www.birdguides.com/webzine/a...k&utm_campaign=taxa-bg-news&utm_medium=social ...

Which authority splitted the Hudsonian Whimbrel and based on which research? And what did they tell about the northeastern Siberian race variegatus - does it belong to the Hudbrel? Did I miss an armchairtick that is now gone again? In my opinion hudsonicus and variegatus are quite similar looking. But on the other hand we had also quite a few variegatus with white rumps! :)

Variegatus is included in the Eurasian Whimbrel group. Hudsonian Whimbrel was split by BOU and their reasoning can probably be found in one of their older reports. This approach was also adopted by netfugl who we thought (until their last blog post) they would be following. But the taxonomic subcomittee of the BOU was disbanded some time ago and they looled for a new taxonomic authority to follow, which they found in the IOC. IOC has reasoned against splitting the Whimbrels in the past, so that not many taxonomic authorities are left who keep them as two species

Pine Buntings are all around at the moment. I guess there are still some in Sweden. If not, I'd suggest they go to Switzerland soon and in addition to 4(!) Pine Buntings they clean up in the Alps species

Maffong

Hawk Owl (fine video too!) and Arctic Redpoll added today....

And now the list updated to include Eurasian Treecreeper, Green Woodpecker and White-tailed Eagle.

Last edited:
Morocco & Western Sahara starts next week I believe. A quick flick through and I reckon they have the potential to add maybe 85 species to their yearlist from that trip?

All the best

Last edited:
Last edited:
So, 4 weeks gone and 25% of the way there...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 12.36.39.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 12.36.39.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 134
So, after several presumed 'family' days, the year gets going again, in Sweden, with a few extras including American Black Duck. Off to Morocco dreckly I guess.

Three weeks in Morocco? Crikey - are they doing this on the bus? ;)

But seriously, are there enough birds to fill three weeks, let alone with a return visit later?

cheers, alan

Three weeks in Morocco? Crikey - are they doing this on the bus?
But seriously, are there enough birds to fill three weeks, let alone with a return visit later?

My first visit was via buses and hitch-hiking and even then it didn't require three weeks :t:

Good on them for setting the target, but it is looking that their total will be an 'easy' one to beat. Basically one trip in January, a couple of days in the UK, then non-birding at home.

Three weeks in Morocco? Crikey - are they doing this on the bus? ;)

cheers, alan

They are including Western Sahara. In comparison to 17 days for a Kuwait trip and 11 days on Canaries, it is bird racing pace. (Though the latter may reflect their interest in potential IOC splits and an island by island tour?) With Marsh Owl, Francolin, Crimson-winged Finch, Bald Ibis, Brown-throated Martin, Dupont's Lark, Maghreb Lark, etc and down to Dakhla Bay and Oued Jenna and back, a fortnight would be pushing it in my view. I suppose doing Western Sahara, they don't need to head out to Merzouga.

All the best

They are including Western Sahara. In comparison to 17 days for a Kuwait trip and 11 days on Canaries, it is bird racing pace. (Though the latter may reflect their interest in potential IOC splits and an island by island tour?) With Marsh Owl, Francolin, Crimson-winged Finch, Bald Ibis, Brown-throated Martin, Dupont's Lark, Maghreb Lark, etc and down to Dakhla Bay and Oued Jenna and back, a fortnight would be pushing it in my view. I suppose doing Western Sahara, they don't need to head out to Merzouga.

All the best

I appreciate they are doing Western Sahara and I know it is a long drive, but even so it seems a huge amount of time - is Merzouga important for African Desert Warbler, Scrub Warbler perhaps?

What will they be targeting in addition in their (new) April trip? Atlas Fly but what else?

cheers, alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back