• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

30D and RAWSHOOTER (1 Viewer)

graham catley

30D and RAW shooter??----just picked up a 30D took a few RAW images and transferred them to the puter--opened them up with RAWSHOOTER software 2006 Essentials and they are all split into 4 rectangles with 25% of the picture in each repeated across the top and bottom and in a mix of blues---they RAW files are supposedly CR2 image files the same as my 20D RAWs which it reads fine---anybody tell me what I have done wrong ??

Just managed to get onto the RAWshooter forum and it appears that the 30D is not supported ---although the files are both CR2 all CR2 files are not the same! ---it looks like you can only get RAWshooter to work witht he Pro version which you pay for and then add another file to which you have to apply for---
this is really naf as I bought the 30D as it had a greater buffer then the 20D and now I can only use it in JPegs or use the Canon software which I have not even tried to install as yet----

Last edited:
It took Rawshooter about 2-3 months after the D200 came out before they caught up with that so I suspect the 30D will be catered for in the next upgrade.

Not being bery technical on puter programming etc it just seems strange to me that the 30D is in effect a 20D with a few outer adjustments, same processor etc and yet somehow the file type? has changed--has this been done deliberately?--I didi try the Canon RAW software--to suggest it is for professional users is something of a joke!

The cr2 files have changed from the 20d to the 30d, support for Picture Styles is the most obvious thing. Pixmantec has a beta with 30d support but I've no idea when it's being released.

Amateur Photographer had a similar problem letter last week. They say that support for the 30D RAW format and conversion software is still unsupported by some of the big players like Adobe. Apparently, "its the price you pay for buying a camera at the earliest opportunity," say APs Chris Gatcum. His answer was to use the Canon DPP (Digital Photo Professional) software that came with the camera. Any use?

I use DPP often, particularly if I have highlights to recover. It's free and it works. My only gripe is that the noise reduction settings are hidden in the menus. May I suggest that if in post one you have never loaded it and in post three you declare it a joke, then you may have not quite explored the full potential of the program?

comparing DPP to Rawshooter it is a) much more complicated, b) has less useful features which do not have resets on specific alterations c) conversions take longer to set up individually d) nothing akin to the fill light feature which is so useful on RS in effect it takes much longer is more complicated and makes processing a lot of images which I take far too much of a time wasting excercise---taking about 1000 images a week I would be sat at the computer for another week with this programme

You can download the beta for RS Premium from Rawshooter web site. It supports 30D RAW files. It's also been available for some time. Go to the forum and enter 30D as a search and you will find it easily.

Premium is a significant upgrade over Essensials BTW.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back