• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

500-600 US$ = ? bins (1 Viewer)

Nikon Monarch X 8.5x45 Binocular

First pair of bins. Multi purpose..

Is this a good choice, or can I get more for my money elsewhere?
Would buying a pair of demos or used on e-bay be better?

Scratch Nikon see next.

Last edited:
Pentax 8x43 DCF ED Demo $750 or Minox HG 8.5x43 BR ASPH $499.

Minox appears to be better value, but if Pentax is worth the diff, I could stretch this far.

I like to buy quality products and enjoy the best I can afford. But I have to weigh the the cost vs the need and other wants (lol). At this time, the want exceeds the need, but I might enjoy using them and find I have a bigger need (enjoyment) than I see now. The $2000k bins would never be in my range, so this could very well be the first and last pair I buy, which also leads me to try and buy smart.

Thanks you all for replies.

Good to have places like this to get good info vs sales clerks at local stores.

Last edited:

I like to buy quality products and enjoy the best I can afford
. But I have to weigh the the cost vs the need and other wants (lol). At this time, the want exceeds the need, but I might enjoy using them and find I have a bigger need (enjoyment) than I see now. The $2000k bins would never be in my range, so this could very well be the first and last pair I buy, which also leads me to try and buy smart.

That being the case, I would take a serious look at Zen Ray ED2 if I were you. I am amazed every day I look through them.

Last edited:
Ditto on the Zen ED2's. My wife and I were out for warblers this weekend and twice she said the 8x43 ED2 was her favorite of all my bins. This includes Zeiss 8x32 FL, Pentax 8x32 ED, etc. And she generally doesn't give a hoot about bins.

They are big and heavy, however, (27 oz.) and she wasn't the one wearing them for ten miles. :-O

So maybe consider the Zen 7x36 ED2, at something like 22 oz, if weight is an issue.

But if you like Nikon, track down my favorite: 8x32 SE ($500-550). It's not waterproof and it has rubber eyecups that can be annoying (I wear glasses, my wife contacts, so I don't take them when we're out together. Not worth the repeated fiddling to fold and unfold). But optically it beats the Zen handily. Heck, it's probably equal to the $2300 Swarovision--though I haven't seen those yet. And it's light enough to wear all day without complaint. Some have trouble with "blackouts" but from what I can tell you just have to try them to find out. I have to fold the cups halfway down for glasses. Once set, it works perfectly, but it's not a great bin for sharing.

Pentax 8x43 DCF ED Demo $750 or Minox HG 8.5x43 BR ASPH $499.

Minox appears to be better value, but if Pentax is worth the diff, I could stretch this far.

I like to buy quality products and enjoy the best I can afford. But I have to weigh the the cost vs the need and other wants (lol). At this time, the want exceeds the need, but I might enjoy using them and find I have a bigger need (enjoyment) than I see now. The $2000k bins would never be in my range, so this could very well be the first and last pair I buy, which also leads me to try and buy smart.

Thanks you all for replies.

Good to have places like this to get good info vs sales clerks at local stores.

Welcome to Birdforum, since you have posted here on the Nikon thread, I think you should give a try to the Monarch you mention. Also the Pentax and Minox may be just the fit for you. You will find the ZenRay lovers may recommend
those but just remember you often do get what you pay for, and for long life, and warranty, Nikon, Minox and Pentax, are solid brands, and since you mention, these may be a very long time purchase, you have picked some quality picks, and some others, who knows!! One internet retailer who handles all of these makes and does offer returns is Cameraland. I am not connected in any way to them, but only have bought from, and they do offer
a return 30 day option.

Jerry

Welcome to Birdforum, since you have posted here on the Nikon thread, I think you should give a try to the Monarch you mention. Also the Pentax and Minox may be just the fit for you. You will find the ZenRay lovers may recommend
those but just remember you often do get what you pay for, and for long life, and warranty, Nikon, Minox and Pentax, are solid brands, and since you mention, these may be a very long time purchase, you have picked some quality picks, and some others, who knows!! One internet retailer who handles all of these makes and does offer returns is Cameraland. I am not connected in any way to them, but only have bought from, and they do offer
a return 30 day option.

Jerry

These are going to be all purpose bins. Some have suggested 32 over 42. Can I get away with 32? I am sure the weight would be better and they probably would be fine for most needs but hunting is where I have my doubts. S Texas blind hunting mostly at 100-150 yds.

If I were going to have 2 bins, I think 8-32 for all but dusk/dawn and 12-50 for blind hunting and pre-hunting would be the perfect combo, but I was going for 1 bin. The best do it all........

Nikon reviews sound like they are worth the money usually sold for (4's), but are they the best my budget allows?

Seems like all have flaws of some type, trying to find the least flaws possible.

Thanks for your reply. Please add more.

Back again:

It is nice of you to give some idea of what you are looking for what you want in your optic.
For the range in the less than 300 yds. I am thinking that an 8x will be just what you may need. For most hunters, especially in early light and late, the best rec. would be in the 42mm range, much brighter than most of the the smaller 32mm size.. Many birders here are out in midday and then 32mm may be a nice pick. I would surely recommend something in the 42mm area. And from an earlier post, do consider the Nikon Monarch, or the Minox, in either the 8x or 8.5 x. They seem to be just what is in your search results have found.

Jerry

Hi landonspop,

I am a San Antonio native myself. Our family operates a hunting ranch in Sabinal too. I can make two suggestions.

First a bino series that seems to have gaining popularity among the blind/vehicle hunters visiting the ranch is the Canon IS. The 12x36 will give virtually identical low-light performance to the standard 10x42. The IS function will insure you get an accurate point-count on those frigid South Texas December mornings by "freezing" the image. Canon also has a 10x30, 10x42, and 15/18x50 IS.

If you prefer a conventional binocular, I highly recommend the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD series. Its ultra-wide views are a superior to anything Nikon has now except for the uber-expensive EDG. I think you will find their price well within your budget and you are getting a global brand name with a lifetime repair/replacement warranty.

Rick

Hi landonspop,

I am a San Antonio native myself. Our family operates a hunting ranch in Sabinal too. I can make two suggestions.

First a bino series that seems to have gaining popularity among the blind/vehicle hunters visiting the ranch is the Canon IS. The 12x36 will give virtually identical low-light performance to the standard 10x42. The IS function will insure you get an accurate point-count on those frigid South Texas December mornings by "freezing" the image. Canon also has a 10x30, 10x42, and 15/18x50 IS.

If you prefer a conventional binocular, I highly recommend the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD series. Its ultra-wide views are a superior to anything Nikon has now except for the uber-expensive EDG. I think you will find their price well within your budget and you are getting a global brand name with a lifetime repair/replacement warranty.

Rick

Great that you are familiar with my location. If I was looking for only hunting bins, your suggestions would be great. I only deer hunt 2-3 times per year so there is a lot of time I would not be able to use. I like biking, camping, fishing and sports so I was hoping to find bins to fill a lot of needs to get maximum use.

I do my dove hunting outside Sabinal with a friend. Maybe I shouldn't say this on a bird forum....

Thanks for your input

I think we need to get back to the basics here. I don't know where this Bushnell thing came from. Just stay with the top names you have been referring to and you will have
a binocular you will enjoy.

Great that you are familiar with my location. If I was looking for only hunting bins, your suggestions would be great. I only deer hunt 2-3 times per year so there is a lot of time I would not be able to use. I like biking, camping, fishing and sports so I was hoping to find bins to fill a lot of needs to get maximum use.

I do my dove hunting outside Sabinal with a friend. Maybe I shouldn't say this on a bird forum....

Thanks for your input

I think you will find it difficult to have just one bino to "rule them all." Magnification/Field of View, robustness and ergonomics are the key main task determinants for a particular bino. Some task will require high magnification while other a wide FoV. Climate/weather may necessitate weather sealing and rubber armor. The bino's ability to play nice with your facial features and eyesight are affected by its ergonomics.

All that said, with your $600 budget you should be able to get at least 2 task specific binos. I think a full size all-arounder like Bushnell Legend Ultra HD in 10/8x42mm and a nice compact like the Pentax 9x28 LV can make for a good tag-team.

These are going to be all purpose bins. Some have suggested 32 over 42. Can I get away with 32? I am sure the weight would be better and they probably would be fine for most needs but hunting is where I have my doubts. S Texas blind hunting mostly at 100-150 yds.

If I were going to have 2 bins, I think 8-32 for all but dusk/dawn and 12-50 for blind hunting and pre-hunting would be the perfect combo, but I was going for 1 bin. The best do it all........

Nikon reviews sound like they are worth the money usually sold for (4's), but are they the best my budget allows?

Seems like all have flaws of some type, trying to find the least flaws possible.

Thanks for your reply. Please add more.

You indicated that you want these binoculars to be multi-purpose. Would multi-purpose include viewing the night sky and hunting/birding at night fall? If so a minimum of 5mm exit pupil is indicated (42mm/8 = 5.2mm) On the other hand if you will be using these binoculars during the day then something like 4mm exit pupil would work fine (32mm / 8 = 4mm)

In my experience you can get away with an 8x32 in most situations. Under darkened conditions the images won't be quite as bright, but they will likely be usable.

There are tradeoffs (not flaws) to consider. The larger objective and lengthened barrel of a 42mm or 50mm will deliver brighter images under darkened conditions but the cost will be that you will carry that extra weight around.

Last edited:
PM sent, there are a lot of good options out there and better buys than the Monarchs for the same money.

With Monarchs you are paying a lot for the name. The build construction is what would worry me if you are a hard core hunter. I would like to see you in a magnesium body instead of plastic for the extreme cold weather you may come across. It is no secret that Hunters probably use a warranty more than a birder because of the harsh weather and elements they sometimes endure on week long hunts, without escaping the rains and snows at times. Zen-Ray (BW-10 and the others who sell simalar), Vortex, Theron, Eagle optics, are just as good or better and you may be surprised to find out some may be made in the same factories as some of the bigger names but at a lower price.
I just think for the same money or even less you can get a better binocular than the Monarchs. When you have a pair of Nikon Monarchs and another pair of lesser known $300 bins side by side the build quality and optical quality is pretty big, but that is JMO :eat:

Nikon Monarchs are made in China. Some Pentax models are made in China as well. Bushnell Legend Ultra HD binoculars are made in China. Nikon is offering warranty on Chinese made binoculars and putting the Nikon name on it - that speaks volumes...well, not "volumes" but it says a lot.

See if you can get ALL of these features/specs for $375 or less: (Zen Ray 7x36)

* Extra Low Dispersion (ED) glass
* VividBriteTM Ultra High Reflectivity (UHR) Dielectic Prism Coating
* SpeedDialTM focus wheel offers 30% faster focus rate
* CrystalViewTM water/oil repellent coating
* Phase-correction with BAK-4 roof prisms
* Magnesium Alloy body for long lasting durability and light weight
* Open Frame Design to minimize the weight
* Heavy-duty, 100% waterproof/fogproof construction: Argon charged
* Metal alloy 3-stage PCDTM Twist-up eyecups optimized for taking full advantage of the optical eye relief.
* Locking Diopter adjustment to fine tuning focus
* Extra large center focus knob for smooth and precise focus
* Ergonomic shape for stress free use
* Rubber armor absorbs shock
* Tethered flipdown objective lens protection covers
* Premium Cushioned Neckstrap with quick connect
* Hard carrying case
* Fully multi-coated optics allows 99.5% light transmission at each glass/air interface
* Lifetime Warranty
Close focus: 5.1 ft
23 Oz
eye relief: 16.8 mm
477ft/1000yards

Among the new Chinese bins, it seems like only Charles of Zen Ray is pushing for cutting edge and higher quality. There are already nice refinements with the 8x43. I can't confirm this as it was my observation and Charles has not said so - but I notice details easily.

Last edited:
warranty

* Lifetime Warranty

Among the new Chinese bins, it seems like only Charles of Zen Ray is pushing for cutting edge and higher quality. There are already nice refinements with the 8x43. I can't confirm this as it was my observation and Charles has not said so - but I notice details easily.

Lifetime warranty?
Who's lifetime? Mine? The binoculars? Or the company?

I have an expensive custom fishing rod that came with a lifetime warranty, I have since found out it expired with the death of the custom rod maker...

So I don't have a lot of trust with warranties from new/small companies. Not to say that a big one couldn't go away either, but I like my chances better.

Lifetime warranty?
Who's lifetime? Mine? The binoculars? Or the company?

I have an expensive custom fishing rod that came with a lifetime warranty, I have since found out it expired with the death of the custom rod maker...

So I don't have a lot of trust with warranties from new/small companies. Not to say that a big one couldn't go away either, but I like my chances better.

Very True. Many companies are offering the lifetime warranty just to compete with the others that are doing the same. If the company files for chapter 11 or 9 (i get them mixed up) or goes belly up the money you spent on that lifetime warranty was wasted. Heres a question that is hypothetical. If you could spend 25% less on the purchase price for a 10 year warranty over a lifetime how many would do it?
I bought My Lieca Geovids and they came with a 5 yr on the optics and 2 years on the electronics. I think that was a little weak considering the price tag, but if I could get 10 years out of a pair of Chinese bins for a lot less money I guess I would be happy. I look at it this way, 10 years out of a $300 pair of bins cost me $30 a year.. If they lasted 10, they will probably last longer. JMO

Well to fair to Nikon, their USA lifetime warranty is No Fault. So no matter how they were damaged/failed, I think it will only cost $10 to repair/replace. That said, I have always found the Monarch series IQ somewhat lacking though the newest lightweight Monarch III seems to have closed the gap with competitors.

I also am a brand conscious when it comes to optics. These rebranders/importers come and go every few years. Other than price, they bring little innovation/technology to the table.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back