• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7X42 Format. (4 Viewers)

I like using 7x42 Roof Prism binoculars and I have a number of them.

The first one I purchased was a new Leitz 7x42 Trinovid BN from a Dealer in Toronto at a sale price in 1991 after Leica introduced the 7x42 BA. It has Uppendahl roof prisms. I wore glasses at the time and used it often enough to wear out the screw on eye cups it used. Fortunately Leica still had replacement eye cups that I could purchase for it. They cost $25.00 a piece. I haven't used it much since then and they are still in excellent condition.

Not too much later, around 2007 or so; Leica discontinued the 7x42 Trinovid BN and Cabela's offered it for sale at a discounted price of under $1000.00 so I bought one which I still have and use. It came with a small zippered case made of fine leather which can be carried on the binocular strap around the neck while the binocular is being used. I keep the case in good condition using a quality leather wax.

They kept me happy for a while until I was able to pick up a Demo Swarovski SLC neu 7x42 binocular from Eagle Optics on January 14, 2012 for $1229.00.

And then, on New Years Eve 2012, I got a Zeiss Victory 7x42 T* FL LT Black binocular from Eagle Optics for $1,599.00.

The next morning after I had set it up, on New Years Day, I looked out our living room window and saw my first bird of 2013.

It was a Red-tailed Hawk perched in a tree across the street in my neighbors yard!:t:

Since then I have picked up 2 inexpensive but good 7x42 Roof Prism binoculars. An Opticron Discovery WP PC 7x42 and a Leupold 7x42 Cascade BX2.

Bob

Last edited:
No personal experience I'm afraid, but the Kite Ibis 7x42 ED might be worth consideration. Its FOV is a bit limited at 128 m@1000 m but I don't know of any current offerings that go above 140 m.
Other specs. look rather good: https://www.kiteoptics.com/en/nature/product/184/ibis-ed/ (scroll down).

John
128m@1000m is a pretty small FOV for a 7x42. The AFOV would be small at 51.1 degrees. Most of the 7x42 binoculars available are at least 8 degrees or 140m@1000m except for the Zeiss 7x42 FL which is 150m@1000m or 8.6 degrees. It is the widest angle 7x42 you can buy as far as I know.

Last edited:
just bought the Habicht 7x42. absolutely stunning optics, the resolution is remarkable. FOV is not an issue for me. depth of field makes viewing such a pleasure. i like the stiffer focus as it doesn't get bumped out of its setting while in my harness. I use it for hunting so most of my viewing is from 20m to infinity. the depth of field is such that i need to do very little focusing anyway.

I'm in love!
IF you can tolerate the narrow FOV, hard small eye cups that are not long enough for the eye relief and the WAY too stiff focuser of the Habicht 7x42 the binocular is a "Beast." It is INCREDIBLY bright with 95% transmission, has excellent resolution and DOF being a 7x and a great 3D porro image.

Last edited:
IF you can tolerate the narrow FOV, hard small eye cups that are not long enough for the eye relief and the WAY too stiff focuser of the Habicht 7x42 the binocular is a "Beast." It is INCREDIBLY bright with 95% transmission, has excellent resolution and DOF being a 7x and a great 3D porro image.

the eye cups don't bother me either, however i am awaiting an order for set of field optics research winged eyecups for them. just for stray light entering the oculars.
i love the size of them too. they are compact and light for my needs.

for MY needs i'm very pleased.

There is a nice pair of deadstock, unused Nikon 7x42 EDG's going for less than $1200 on EBay. Unfortunately, the seller is only willing to ship in the US. Perhaps a member can snatch them up and let me live vicariously through a review.

the eye cups don't bother me either, however i am awaiting an order for set of field optics research winged eyecups for them. just for stray light entering the oculars.

If you've got the leatherette version, do yourself a favour and get the green eyecups of the rubber armoured Habicht. They make a huge difference!

Hermann

I prefer the older Leica Trinovid 7x42 BA over the Habicht 7x42. It has a way bigger 8 degree FOV, easier focuser and more comfortable larger eye cups and rich, saturated colors. Not as bright though and it is heavier than the Habicht. You can pick them up for about the same price as a Habicht 7x42 or $600 to $700.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back