• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A concolourous (orange/red) Jersey Tiger…how likely. NEast London. (1 Viewer)

KenM

Closed my moth trap at c5 am this morning and counted at least 7 Jersey Tigers around the pot, certainly the most I’ve had this year, have been averaging 2-0 most nights of late.

Later in the morning c 10am-ish, I noted the tits grazing the hedge, I’d looked away momentarily before (what I thought) out the corner of my eye was a “disturbed” JT flying out, had it under view (as best as one can with naked eye) for about 8-10 secs before it disappeared around the side of house.

Description- size/flight action as JT except that it was concolourously JT Red, without any other vestige of tint or tone, I was looking down on it from about 3metres.

How likely an aberrant of this type occurring, I recognise that to all intents and purposes unlikely, but has any extreme morph of this species occurred before….would any one know?

Cheers

Are you sure it's not just that the black and white wasn't apparent /obvious ?

You'll know that variants with yellow hind wings are fairly common (I think ab. lutea from memory)

Are you sure it's not just that the black and white wasn't apparent /obvious ?

You'll know that variants with yellow hind wings are fairly common (I think ab. lutea from memory)
We’re not talking Yellow….we’re talking all red!
8-10 seconds at 3m is a long time to reaffirm the stats.
JT is a moth that I’m very familiar with…that is both forms, If I’d been unsure I wouldn’t have posted!

Jersey Lion?

Skinner shows many different morphs/forms/common aberrations, or the UKMoths website. Otherwise unless someone else has come across a variation such as ...

Jersey Lion?

Skinner shows many different morphs/forms/common aberrations, or the UKMoths website. Otherwise unless someone else has come across a variation such as ...
I think a Jersey Lion….would be too far fetched dan,Jersey Reds would be more likely, or even a Red Pullover?
Will keep my eyes peeled, had 9 at mid-night of both forms.😮

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back