• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Accipiter , Belgium (1 Viewer)

No barring on inner secondaries--Goshawk? Also, a robust brow, full white undertail coverts and a hulking bill, FWIW. Waiting for further input.

Last edited:
thanks Arran,
I should have taken the hint, as you wrote Flemish marshes, not Flemish Marshes...

sorry about that,

ps. your username made me think you were British, so I could easily see Flemish Marshes (just off the A34) being a thing in say Norfolk.
cheers,
Gerben

Last edited:
Hello Gerben,

thanks for your comment!

At first I thought, that this is such a small bird, but then Buttys words came into my mind again: thanks Butty!
And while I still get the feeling of a compact and neckless bird, the features you mentioned cant be overlooked.

Yes, many Goshawks have an even broader and obvious supercilium and more solid dark ear-coverts and some have slightly greyer upperparts, this all is within variation.

Is the irregular barring on the breast a feature against Goshawks normally more parallel barred breast???

I hope for more comments and pictures. Thanks Gerben again!

I showed this to Andrew Butler (who produced the excellent Goshawk flight ID guide)
and he replied

“Nice photo.
I would say male Northern Goshawk in its second plumage ie 2nd or 3rd calendar - 2cy if it was taken last autumn.
I’ve inserted a photo for comparison, of Goshawk v Sparrowhawk in similar positions. I’ve made them similar sizes for illustrative purposes.
At this age, and in this view, the pattern of the secondaries is key.”

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0289.jpeg
    IMG_0289.jpeg
    280.7 KB · Views: 120
Got there a long time ago RB……
But doesn't that knock the underside inner secondary barring theory into a cooked hat ( post #8 )......you're image shows evenly well spaced and marked barring across all the secondaries in a young streaked bird. Puzzling, no?

I think it wasn't supposed to work for (fresh-plumaged?) juveniles (= vertical streaking on underparts).

EDIT:

But doesn't that knock the underside inner secondary barring theory into a cooked hat ( post #8 )......you're image shows evenly well spaced and marked barring across all the secondaries in a young streaked bird. Puzzling, no?
Think we’ll need to ask an “expert” on that one Pat.👍

tconzemi spoke about it in another thread, and Collins guide agrees (the 3rd edition; all previous editions got the pictures wrong, apparently)

Attachments

• 20240103_164612.jpg
    20240103_164612.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
Alexander (many thanks by the way!) posted this link on a previous thread and I urge anyone with an interest in Goshawk ID to give it a good read.

Northern Goshawk flight identification and ageing in the UK - Revised and updated

Forsman‘s 2016 Flight ID of Raptors of Europe etc. has 11 photos of Goshawk, 5 juvenile, 5 adult and only one sub-adult, it isn’t as comprehensive in detail particularly with the difficult sub-adult plumages (in my opinion).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back